Like Tree21Likes

Wild pigs/boars on the island

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wild pigs/boars on the island

I know from past stories and online videos, there have been many sightings and a few attacks from wild pigs & boars in the NT areas.

Have there been any recent (past 10 years) sightings on Hong Kong Island ?
    My dearest wife claims to have seen one, just when my back was turned yesterday during one of our breaks on a hike near Stanley.

I'd like to know whether to support her stories or have her see a doctor as she has been seeing things lately :-)

HC

Yes, I think some of the runners on the HK Trail have reported seeing them.

(At least I remember a debate a while back about seeing something, I THINK it was wild pig but it might have been some other animal!)

Last edited by MovingIn07; 11-05-2011 at 03:38 PM.

there are some along the trail from parkview down to tai tam reservoir. they usually come out early in the morning and goes after the food left behind by bbq-ers. the cleanup crew along this path knows them well.

they occasionally venture out towards the north slope of hong kong. i saw one early in the morning near tai hang road.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

This story/video is from last year:

Video: Wild boar charges cameraman in Hong Kong - Telegraph

Edit: Sorry, that was Sha Tin. There was a news story recently about a wild boar on the island.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 11-05-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Yes, they are definitely in and around the wooded areas on the south side of HK island, including Stanley (the hilly parts), Chung Hong Kok peninsula out towards the Cheshire Home and Tai Tam country park.

HKITperson likes this.

Yes, I have seen a smallish one on the HK trail above Pok Fu Lam village (the original one), and there were press reports last year of a couple turning up on King's Road in North Point.

I was on the light bus to Stanley a year or so ago and when we stopped for traffic I saw a hand written sign posted just off the road about a siting near there - so yes, I'd believe these other folks' posts on this.

Details of the North Point wild boars here: Bungling cops should have let sleeping boars lie - - The Standard

Hmmm, makes me think that the critter I saw last week darting into the brush on the Governor's Walk Trail near Victoria Peak Garden might have been a boar rather than a feral dog.

If you didn't see it closely enough to tell those two apart then there are several other things it might have been too: a civet cat, for example, or a porcupine or a muntjac (barking deer).

Last edited by PDLM; 11-05-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast