Baseball in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Baseball in HK

I searched on forums and there were a few threads about it but pretty outdated. First thing, I wanted to know if there is any amateur league in HK. I looked at the HK baseball association website but there was no English so no luck haha. If there aren't then I wanted to see how many people on here would like to play, even if it is just catching and throwing!

I'm 23 and used to pitch in high school. I want at least build up my arm strength again when I am out here so when I go back to the states for school, I can join a league or something. Hopefully there are a few baseball nuts out here who need their fix

Now to find a glove ...

I saw baseball - all Chinese guys Kowloon side at Tin Kwong Road Recreation Ground in Ho Man Tin. Calibre looked not bad. Not a fan friendly venue as the gate sign said private but they had fans in the stands. Might have been one of those legal signs about risk but it didn't say .. come on in and enjoy the game. Get a local pal to translate that site.

I'm definitely in this game, if we can have a team or just a few ppl for fun. Played in the university but could find anything here in hk. Keep me informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I saw baseball - all Chinese guys Kowloon side at Tin Kwong Road Recreation Ground in Ho Man Tin. Calibre looked not bad. Not a fan friendly venue as the gate sign said private but they had fans in the stands. Might have been one of those legal signs about risk but it didn't say .. come on in and enjoy the game. Get a local pal to translate that site.
    Oh, thank you for the info! Would you happen to know if it was a pick up game or were they in uniforms? Does private mean the grounds are private?

Quote Originally Posted by fortisse:
    I'm definitely in this game, if we can have a team or just a few ppl for fun. Played in the university but could find anything here in hk. Keep me informed.
    Glad to hear it! What position did you play and how long has it been since you played? Getting a team together would be awesome! But just a few people for fun is just as great!

I'm interested

I haven't played baseball since I was a kid, so I would basically be starting fresh. I am really interested though.

Hey guys- count me in.. I have a glove and a few baseballs..
    (Know where I can get a woodbat around here?)

Let's set up a date for some practice - pref. Over the weekend.

Hope this helps...

Yes, there is an amateur league in Hong Kong. There is an A Grade and a B grade. A is more advanced than B. I played in both grades for a year each. B grade plays their games around HK on football/soccer pitches while A grade plays all their games at the only legit baseball diamond in HK. This diamond is located in Lam Tin. Take exit D and go left - you'll have to walk 10 or so minutes. The quality of baseball here isn't great, honestly. The A grade has a team who is made up of mostly HK national team members which usually win the league. Their ace throws 80-81 mph; if that gives you a ballpark of the pitching quality. In my two years, I've seen 1 other westerner playing and it likely has to do with HKBA's website not being in English and their lack of getting back to people.

Ball equipment - I have come across a few places. There is a place in Prince Edward near the goldfish market called Tokyo Sports (I think). There is a Mizuno sign out front. Go upstairs and you can find wood and tin bats. There are gloves but they aren't great - there are definitely white spikes though. Another place is in TST but it's all in Chinese so I don't know the name of it nor the location (that has nothing to with it being Chinese). It's really small but the stuff I saw there was better than in Prince Edward. There used to be batting cages with a good store in Ngau Tau Kok. It, however, closed a couple months ago.

Last I heard, is there is a brand new batting cages place. I'm told it's expensive but I've seen photos and it looks nice. The address is ‎2/F 79 Hung To Road, Kwun Tong. It's called "Play."

If you want more info, let me know. If you're interested in getting in contact with HKBA message me and I'll give you the number of a guy who is really helpful and likes ball a lot. He speaks great English too.

Hey guys,

There is a hong kong slow pitch softball league and we are currently looking for players, here is the website.

Hong Kong Slo-Pitch Softball Association

We have about 10 teams and we play on saturdays during the fall and spring seasons. The field we use is in Jordan, called Kings Park, decent place. Games are competive and all stats are tracked online so you can monitor all progress in all categories ( or regression =P). After each game with grab burgers and beers at teh park to watch the other guys slug it out.

Its pretty much a western league with a tail gating mentaility. We are in need of players next year (september) because of hong kongs turn over rate, and to make of for the jello armed younglings that need to develope.

If you are interested let me know I'll fill you in on more details.

Brad
    [email protected]

Toata,
    there were a couple westerner teams in that league about 5-6 ago but i believe they were asked not to come back because they were a little too good (several ex-college guys and 2 ex-minor leaguers that i know of). Instead of baseball, any interest in softball? Can still get your armstrength up and the quality of competition is pretty good. Send me a PM if you're interested

Quote Originally Posted by marcass:
    Yes, there is an amateur league in Hong Kong. There is an A Grade and a B grade. A is more advanced than B. I played in both grades for a year each. B grade plays their games around HK on football/soccer pitches while A grade plays all their games at the only legit baseball diamond in HK. This diamond is located in Lam Tin. Take exit D and go left - you'll have to walk 10 or so minutes. The quality of baseball here isn't great, honestly. The A grade has a team who is made up of mostly HK national team members which usually win the league. Their ace throws 80-81 mph; if that gives you a ballpark of the pitching quality. In my two years, I've seen 1 other westerner playing and it likely has to do with HKBA's website not being in English and their lack of getting back to people.

Ball equipment - I have come across a few places. There is a place in Prince Edward near the goldfish market called Tokyo Sports (I think). There is a Mizuno sign out front. Go upstairs and you can find wood and tin bats. There are gloves but they aren't great - there are definitely white spikes though. Another place is in TST but it's all in Chinese so I don't know the name of it nor the location (that has nothing to with it being Chinese). It's really small but the stuff I saw there was better than in Prince Edward. There used to be batting cages with a good store in Ngau Tau Kok. It, however, closed a couple months ago.

Last I heard, is there is a brand new batting cages place. I'm told it's expensive but I've seen photos and it looks nice. The address is ‎2/F 79 Hung To Road, Kwun Tong. It's called "Play."

If you want more info, let me know. If you're interested in getting in contact with HKBA message me and I'll give you the number of a guy who is really helpful and likes ball a lot. He speaks great English too.
    Thank you so much for the info! Do you still play in the league? If not, do you still play? Position and experience?

Quote Originally Posted by kevung:
    I haven't played baseball since I was a kid, so I would basically be starting fresh. I am really interested though.
    No problem! Honestly, teaching the game is almost as fun playing it

Quote Originally Posted by alden12:
    Hey guys- count me in.. I have a glove and a few baseballs..
    (Know where I can get a woodbat around here?)

Let's set up a date for some practice - pref. Over the weekend.
    Great! I wouldn't know where we could practice though? I'm fine with weekends too. How about we set up a date to get gear haha, or am I the only one without baseball equipment? Btw, I'm in Kawi Fong.

Quote Originally Posted by Geishboy:
    Toata,
    there were a couple westerner teams in that league about 5-6 ago but i believe they were asked not to come back because they were a little too good (several ex-college guys and 2 ex-minor leaguers that i know of). Instead of baseball, any interest in softball? Can still get your armstrength up and the quality of competition is pretty good. Send me a PM if you're interested
    Thank you very much for the invite! I will take it into consideration but a big factor is the fact that I can't pitch in softball

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast