Like Tree1Likes

Underwater Hockey

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need some help tracking down a friendly pool

We have enough takers to get a game going now but still need a venue. Anyone know of a pool that might be willing to talk to us about getting a game going? Alternatively, anyone willing to help try to find one?

This game is great for anyone who likes snorkeling, skin diving, free diving or even scuba. Good for fitness, great for breath hold and a fun game.

There is also a competition taking place in Singapore on January 6 with teams from around APAC taking part. It would be great to get a HK team together to play.

Andrew

I played underwater hockey with the Hong Kong underwater club a couple of times in 2005, at the Ladies Recreation Club Pool which was good for it. We used to have about 15 people come down every week, at least the three times I went.

I think the LRC wouldn't let them continue and they stopped. I sent the HKUC an email to ask if they've started again.

I'd be keen as would a couple of mates of mine, so if you want to band together and try to set something up, I'm game.

Just thinking which other pools might be good. I'm a student at HKU, they have two pools. The South China Athletic Association in Causeway Bay could be a good shout too.

Nico

i would be interested in this game.

never heard of it before but looks pretty cool.

is it OK for any age?

im 16

There's no minimum age limit. I started playing when I was in primary school. Problem is we have not been able to start for lack of a pool.

Anyone with connection to a private school, college or university that has a pool please drop me a note. I think this is our best bet to get a game going in Hong Kong. The public pools are not going to be an option (and most of them close over "winter" anyway).

Andrew

I agree, your best bet would be to try to rent a pool from one of the international schools at night. They are often sitting empty and just waiting for bookings.

One of the concern though is to get a puck that doesn't damage the bottom of the pool. The metal ones often leave scratches, you also need to get the sticks from somewhere, I doubt anyone stocks those in HK but they are quite easy to make.

the pucks i have used for UWH are rubber coated, absolutely no idea where you get them from. as for sticks, as gilles suggested - the ones i have used were all hand made.. UWH.. man that was a long time ago... the other thing is gloves - they need to be thick with a thick rubber coating on the knuckles.. those pucks hurt! you could probably have these made/improvised locally too...

There are rubber pucks but there are also metal ones which are more damaging. As for gloves, they are essential otherwise you get your knuckles very bloody from the bottom of the pool which can be a little rough as well as from sticks and pucks.

You can use diving gloves but many people just buy dishwashing gloves and cut out the top of the fingers for better feel and so the water doesn't get stuck in them. It's very fringe so people that play usually make or adapt much of the equipment.

Short fins will give you quick acceleration and movement but you'll lose out big time on breakaways. I prefer longer ones...

Last edited by gilleshk; 09-11-2008 at 10:53 PM.

If you ever end up sorting this out please let me know as it sounds hilarious! (as long as you don't mind playing with a girl haha)

Any International Schools in Kowloon or NT that offer their indoor pool facilities over winter?

ICS has a brand new facility with an indoor pool. They are having some issues with it but it should reopen soon. RCHK also has one in the same area and also quite new.