Mountain and/or Road Biking in Hong Kong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mountain and/or Road Biking in Hong Kong

hi,
    I've been in hong kong a few months and am looking for friends/groups to go cycling with. There doesnt seem to be many active groups online. Any recommendations appreciated!

Also looking for a good bike shop.
    thanks!

For mountain biking in the country parks be aware that you may only legally bike on certain trails, and that you need a permit to do so.

The HK Mountain Biking Association site seems pretty good and comprehensive to me.

Check out this group, it is very active and there are many suggestions on bike shop in HK. There are many active road cyclists/triathletes in HK.

sircycling : South Island Road Cycling

I have no idea about the groups, but if you want to go by yourself you can rent a bike in Mui Wo at the shops near the ferry pier, then ride along South Lantau Road, to the Buddha, or to Tung Chung or a combination thereof. I've done it a couple of times, there is almost no traffic in South Lantau as it's a restricted area for permit holders only. There is also a MTB path along the coastline and around Chin Ma Wan peninsula starting in Mui Wo (for which you need the MTB permit, which is just a formality).

Depending on your fitness levels and when you can get out, road biking options are there.

1. Tai Wai to plover cove (20km). Plus points are that there are cycle lanes all the way, it's flat, and a there is a decent bike shop renting out basic road bikes. Minus is that they can get very crowded and there are some utter idiots, so leave early.

2. Plover cove to the buffer zone (8-10km). This is going up a nasty steep hill to start (but doable for a relatively fit smoker doing 40 a day) and then some stunning scenery. There are more pros training along the route and it is used for races and triathlons. (festival of sport). No cycle lanes in the scenic bit but traffic is light. There is a shorter route on lanes along the busy roads to Fan ling (extra 6-8 km)

3. Disneyland - airport (20km). Also popular, but little in the way of rentals near the MTR and no cycle lanes. A long loop is very possible in very light traffic. Be careful that you don't make a wrong turn and end up on the expressway.

If more confident in traffic or happy waking up at 5 there are many more options.

Last edited by fth; 25-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.

thanks for the ideas-

do you have a mechanic/bike shop you trust?

Thansk for the info- I have bikes, just need to find a good mechanic and looking for some company!

If you look on the yahoo group I posted, you will find which are the shops that competitive cyclists use... There are several good ones depending where you live and a couple of recent upstarts were started by foreigners if you are concerned about language barriers.

I do all the work on my bikes but have been in Bike World in Wanchai and Flying Ball on Kowloon side with a slight preference for the latter though both were quite acceptable and have been around for ages.

What sort of mechanical work do you need done?

For run of the mill stuff (tuning, cable replacements, etc) then most shops are pretty competent. Bicycle World in Wan Chai is one of the more convenient ones if you are on HK Island. Flying Ball in Kowloon is safe bet. Jacky of Friendly Bikes is completely trustworthy and you can dump your bike on the ferry at Central and he'll pick it up at Mui Wo. All three options are fine with English.

Really, most the places on the HKMBA site are okay, just choose the nearest one. I would not recommend the Scott store in North Point based only on a single data point (they had no idea how to set up tubeless tyres).

The one exception to general mechanical competence I've come across in HK is hand built wheels. I suspect that Gravity Reaction in Prince Edward is probably the place for wheelbuilds now (the guy who started it is an ex Flying Ball mechanic). However, he's Canto only and, as the name suggests, geared towards the downhill biking scene.

You haven't really indicated what sort of riding you do. 'Mountain' biking here is quite different than anywhere else I've tried riding. Philip at Flying Ball organises fairly frequent group rides, so he's worth talking to if you go out that way.

Last edited by jgl; 27-07-2011 at 04:10 PM.

hi Gwen -
    I'm in central and looking for people to ride with on weekends. I have a road bike I hardly use and can use some company getting fit again.
    Anna

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast