Skateboarding/Longboarding culture in HK

Skateboarding/Longboarding culture in HK

Hi everyone, I'm interning at a TV Station in HK and I'm trying to dig up some info on the skate culture here in HK. The growing culture in China is really interesting, but I was just hoping someone here might have observed something about the local scene here. Any shops? Local hangouts? Crowds etc.etc.? If anyone could post any info that they know, blog posts, videos, random bits of info, it would be great. I know there are some longboarding shops around b/c I'm interested myself in longboarding. Just seems there aren't too many people doing it, even though the hiking trails in HK are perfect for longboarding. Is it the lack of space? or time? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
    Gloria

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You should look on local sites not on an expat site for this kind of information as, if there is such a scene in Hong Kong, it will be mainly locals participating.

They're usually in mongkok

there is a skateboard ramp/half board in fanling's pak wo rd

there is also a ramp in LaiChiKok park, just outside of the MTR.
    and a smallish one in Causewaybay, on OiKwanRoad
    here are some more : Concrete Disciples Skateboarding - Hong Kong Skatepark Directory & Listings. Photos, Directions, Reviews, Ratings, and sometimes video is included.

Skateparks in Hong Kong

There are a number of public skateparks in Hong Kong, the most popular one being in Mei Foo, inside the Lai Chi Kok Park & the new skatepark in Fanling.
    More info here
    http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/lsb/en/districts.php?ftid=36

There is also a private indoor skatepark in Kwun Tong, see here for more info
    www.8five2.com

warren is right, there is plenty of activity if you know where to look. skateboarding is beginning to boom here, but if you are not really in the scene you will find a lot of "skaters" only in it for the look which might give you a warped view on skateboarding. i would suggest visiting mei fu/fanling skatepark on the weekends. i live in hong kong and have been skateboarding for almost 10 years now. you will find plenty of people at these locations that speak english too.