How can i build muscle and look good

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How can i build muscle and look good

Hi

my name is Richard. i am half chinese and half english. i am 15 and weigh 61.2 kg/136 pounds and measure 5.8

I am looking for advise on how to build muscle more efficiently and how to tone my body. I am already quite strong and muscular for my age but seem to have trouble putting on more muscle. I also have difficulties toning my body.

Stats:
    Bench press: 110 pounds
    preacher curl: 80 pounds
    tricep curl :30
    Shoulder press: 30 pounds
    Lat pull: 45 pounds

My diet is quite good and go's as follows:
    Breakfast: protein shake and yoghurt
    meal 1:supplements and pasta with chicken and fish
    meal 2:rice with some kind of meat
    meal 3:sandwich with protein shake
    dinner: normally what the family's having, which is normally western food.

I have a very steady routine which i stick to every week. i head to the gym 3 times a week and each visit normally last about 1 1/2 hours. followed by a quick 15 minute swim.

I have been advised to take supplements to help growth but don't ah ve much clue as what to do with them. so far i use:
    Cytosports muscle milk
    Universal Animal pak
    Universal Nitro
    BCAA's
    Glutamine
    Creatine (very rare, once a month)
    Myoplex protein bars

I work hard in the gym, and normally have to be dragged out cause i can barely move. Also i have been told that i go to the gym to often and overwork my muscles so they shrink.

Another thing is i try to max out on my weights therefore doing small reps around 8-12 whearas others around me tend to do around the 20 reps.

Am i doing anything wrong or is my diet/routine wrong?

Please help,
    Richard

A few pointers:

- Cut down on the isolation movements and do more compound lifts. Add squats and deadlifts at least, just make sure you do them with proper form. Ask a qualified personal trainer how to do them if you can't figure it out. Safety is key.

- Use free weights instead of machines whenever possible. Machines tend to limit the amount of muscles recruited for a specific movement, whereas free weights require most of your body to stabilize. More muscle stimulus -> more gains.

- Do less reps with heavier weights. 5 sets of 5 reps per exercise is a common practice.

- Eat more. Doesn't matter how much you're eating now, you need to eat everything in your path and then eat some more. You're just 15, so your metabolism is redlining.

- Cut down on cardio (e.g. swimming and running), the extra energy expenditure only means you'll need to eat even more to make up for it.

- You won't really need 90% of the supplements available. Sure, every bit helps, but you'll see the biggest results by simply eating a lot (of the right things) and lifting right.

Universal Animal pak
    Universal Nitro
    BCAA's
    Glutamine
    Creatine (very rare, once a month)
    Myoplex protein bars

That's a lot of supplements for someone so young. You don't need the Animal Pak or the Nitro. That's just far too much. You're already getting glutamine and BCAA's from your diet, so you don't need them. Creatine is absolutely worthless if you aren't using it regularly (many people load with it), but I suggest you don't take it at all because it can cause kidney problems, and at your age, it's simply not a good idea. I did use creatine at your age, but IMO it was a waste of money. I put on 10 lbs of water weight virtually instantly when I used it though.

IMO you need to eat more eggs and drink whole milk. you need more carbs in your diet. Try a protein shake and oatmeal in the morning. Peanut butter is good too. How about telling us more about your routine? I was 5'11 145 at your age, and I went up to 170 in 12 weeks by eating everything in site and working out 1/2 an hour three times a week. I'm now 6'1 and well over 200 lbs, which is partially due to all the good American food I ate from '97 to '04

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 27-06-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Try this routine for a few weeks, one set to failure for each, as heavy as you can go while maintaining proper form, and go slow on each rep:

Squat: 12-15 reps
    Pullups/pulldowns: 8-12
    Dips: as many as you can
    Flat bench: 8-12
    Overhead press: 8-12
    Tricep extensions: 8-12
    Bicep curls: 8-12
    Abs, then swim for 15.

This will give you a good workout without causing you to feel sick and like you're going to keel over. Give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Cheers guys.
    I did do squats about 6 months ago as i had a major slouch, but was told it would stunt my growth therefore i stopped.

I thought i was taking too many supplements, but i just didn't have any guidance as to what i supposed to do.

I do try to do more free weights but i have found by doing fly's especially shoulder 1's i get major joint pains. Any ideas y?

Also, i have found that by drinking protein shakes and then eating foods like peanut butter or drinking other things afterwards i feel major sick, like stomach ache.

thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    Try this routine for a few weeks, one set to failure for each, as heavy as you can go while maintaining proper form, and go slow on each rep:

Squat: 12-15 reps
    Pullups/pulldowns: 8-12
    Dips: as many as you can
    Flat bench: 8-12
    Overhead press: 8-12
    Tricep extensions: 8-12
    Bicep curls: 8-12
    Abs, then swim for 15.

This will give you a good workout without causing you to feel sick and like you're going to keel over. Give it a shot and see how it works for you.
    Thanks, i'll try this tmr.
    another thing is when i go to the gym i have been told to keeping on going until i feel a burn or tight feeling is this advisable? Or will this come after doing numerous sets?

I agree with Sunfire and Jay, taking that many supplements at your age/level is a waste of money and may be harmful to your health. Proper nutrition, consistency, and sleep/recovery are FAR more important than any supplements.

You need more Calories, and should establish a daily macronutrient split of, say, 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% essential fatty acids spread over, say, six smaller-sized meals. A free program like fitday.com can help you plan and count your Calories, and there are many Calorie calculators/formulas online that you can use to calculate your Calorie requirements. nutritiondata.com is a great resource to look up the nutrition value of almost any food. Also, with the amount of protein you'll ingest(likely 1.25 grams times your bodyweight in pounds), be sure to drink a lot of water; your kidneys will thank you!

I'd replace your Animal Pak(who likes to swallow 11 pills) with a good multivitamin like NOW adam, and eliminate Nitro, Glutamine, BCAA supp.(Muscle milk already has an impressive BCAA profile), and Creatine all together.

Joint pains during lateral raises/shoulder flys? Check your form and make sure your movement is in an arc and that you're not lifting your dumbbells above shoulder height.

Bloating and discomfort? You'll get used to it. Perhaps reduce the volume of your shake by adding less water. Is this also the time to warn you about protein farts?

Quote Originally Posted by Richardis15
    Cheers guys.
    I did do squats about 6 months ago as i had a major slouch, but was told it would stunt my growth therefore i stopped.

I thought i was taking too many supplements, but i just didn't have any guidance as to what i supposed to do.

I do try to do more free weights but i have found by doing fly's especially shoulder 1's i get major joint pains. Any ideas y?

Also, i have found that by drinking protein shakes and then eating foods like peanut butter or drinking other things afterwards i feel major sick, like stomach ache.

thanks,
    Richard
    Squats will not stunt your growth. I was told that when I was a kid too, and I started lifting at 13. I'm 6'1 now. If you're worried about form, you can use leg presses instead. I now exclusively use the leg press myself.

The NOW Adam is recommended by many, but being so young, I think just Centrum would suffice. I recommend you eat before taking a shake. Easier on the stomach. I use Dymatize Elite, which contains digestive enzymes. Never gives me any stomach trouble. If you gave me something by Champion Nutrition or Prolab, I would be in absolutely agony.

If lateral raises (shoulder raises) give you pain, chances are your form is wrong. Ask someone to help you out, although if the same people who told a 15-year-old to take Universal's Animal Pak and avoid squatting are the ones you're gonna ask, maybe not You don't need the flys. You need to work on building overall body strength before you even bother with those. Some guys in jail in the US get huge just by doing pullups, chinups, dips and pushups. They don't have any supplements either.

Also, if the protein shakes are making you sick, try mixing them at 1/2 strength, especially if you're using milk with them. IMO you don't even need the protein shakes. You need to eat eat eat! Try and shoot for 6 small meals a day, and try to get some dairy, meat, grain and fruit/veg with every one of those meals. They don't have to be too big, but you do want to ingest enough to allow you to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkDrankDrunk
    I agree with Sunfire and Jay, taking that many supplements at your age/level is a waste of money and may be harmful to your health. Proper nutrition, consistency, and sleep/recovery are FAR more important than any supplements.

You need more Calories, and should establish a daily macronutrient split of, say, 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% essential fatty acids spread over, say, six smaller-sized meals. A free program like fitday.com can help you plan and count your Calories, and there are many Calorie calculators/formulas online that you can use to calculate your Calorie requirements. nutritiondata.com is a great resource to look up the nutrition value of almost any food. Also, with the amount of protein you'll ingest(likely 1.25 grams times your bodyweight in pounds), be sure to drink a lot of water; your kidneys will thank you!

I'd replace your Animal Pak(who likes to swallow 11 pills) with a good multivitamin like NOW adam, and eliminate Nitro, Glutamine, BCAA supp.(Muscle milk already has an impressive BCAA profile), and Creatine all together.

Joint pains during lateral raises/shoulder flys? Check your form and make sure your movement is in an arc and that you're not lifting your dumbbells above shoulder height.

Bloating and discomfort? You'll get used to it. Perhaps reduce the volume of your shake by adding less water. Is this also the time to warn you about protein farts?
    THanks,
    by the way protein farts?? is this sumthing i should be wary of?

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    Squats will not stunt your growth. I was told that when I was a kid too, and I started lifting at 13. I'm 6'1 now. If you're worried about form, you can use leg presses instead. I now exclusively use the leg press myself.

The NOW Adam is recommended by many, but being so young, I think just Centrum would suffice. I recommend you eat before taking a shake. Easier on the stomach. I use Dymatize Elite, which contains digestive enzymes. Never gives me any stomach trouble. If you gave me something by Champion Nutrition or Prolab, I would be in absolutely agony.

If lateral raises (shoulder raises) give you pain, chances are your form is wrong. Ask someone to help you out, although if the same people who told a 15-year-old to take Universal's Animal Pak and avoid squatting are the ones you're gonna ask, maybe not You don't need the flys. You need to work on building overall body strength before you even bother with those. Some guys in jail in the US get huge just by doing pullups, chinups, dips and pushups. They don't have any supplements either.

Also, if the protein shakes are making you sick, try mixing them at 1/2 strength, especially if you're using milk with them. IMO you don't even need the protein shakes. You need to eat eat eat! Try and shoot for 6 small meals a day, and try to get some dairy, meat, grain and fruit/veg with every one of those meals. They don't have to be too big, but you do want to ingest enough to allow you to grow.
    haha, ok.
    i'll take your advice, chin ups were the first things i started with and on a good day with a fresh start i can do about 27 with good form

also with squats, would they be with or without weights?

cheers,
    Richard

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast