Mountain Biking - Moi Wo

Closed Thread

Mountain Biking - Moi Wo

I am planning to visit Hong Kong this November after a gap of 4 years and I am keen to try mountain biking. I did some research and asking around and I found the only place you can hire a mountain bike is in Moi Wo. As I need to hire the bike the only route I can take is the Moi Wo to Poi O, I have looked up the map but it's not clear how challening the route is any comments any one?
    I am looking for a route which is challenging and with a cycle hire shop near by. I have also been told I would need a permit and I that the Moi Wo route is notoriously difficult to find (atleast it was couple of years ago), not sure if that's still the case.

You could cycle around the Chi Ma Wan peninsula, just south of Mui Wo. Make a loop to Pui O then back to Mui Wo again.

Chi Ma Wan

If you are in any reasonable cycing shape then the route is not hard. If you are out of practice, the first half of the route (the boring half, IMO, as there is a lot of concrete foothpath) has some hills that may tire you out. The second half (after the prison) is much more interesting singletrack with several slightly extended technical sections that you may want to walk if you're not an experienced biker.

There are a load of videos on Youtube that show the trail. Search for Chi Ma Wan Mountain Biking. Generally, if you are looking for something 'challenging' then this is a good trail to start on.

Regarding finding the trail: The only place to rent a semi decent bike is from Friendly Bikes. The bike store owner can give you directions to the start of the trail.

Hmm... if your username is an indication of what you do for a living, then the trail should be well within your capabilities.
    Last edited by jgl; 27-09-2011 at 07:44 PM.

The buses departing from MuiWo have luggage compartments which are almost always empty.
    So you could put the bike in there and start from other places, e.g. Kuei Shan, the junction to
    TaiO and Big Buddha

Last edited by Morrison; 27-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Have you ever managed to put a bike into a Lantau bus? I'm curious as I've only every used taxis.

Anyways, I would not recommend Tai O (there's 100m of singetrack then a long and very boring concrete road to Tung Chung + several hunred hikers on the weekends) or the Buddha (the downhill offroad track will absolutely suck on a rental bike, and it's an illegal trail with a fairly regular AFCD presence).

The best bet is still CMW and a bike from Friendly.

Chi Ma Wan is the way to go - Difficulty is moderate overall. Nice views and a bit of everything: concrete, stairs, track ...