Like Tree5Likes

Hiking Apps good for Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LyAndy:
    Pepe77, " I also downloads a database of photos and has description of lenght, duration, difficulty etc.
    Ofcourse not a must for hiking but a lot of information gathered on your phone so that you can find inspiration for your next hike "

what database is that? The photo function sounds very inspiring.
    I mean, when you download the app it also installs (if you accept that) a photo database. So in your albums there will be a folder with one signature photo for each hiking route - I just checked now....164 photos in total. It also installs a folder with map overview. Not detailed map to use for guidance...just to give you an idea abt location and lenght

The only real "tool" funtion in the app is that you can get a brief introduction and know whether it is a nature walk, family hike, country trail, long trail etc etc.

apps are better as you can do searches before and during your hike, read reviews on trails, see recommendations based on your location, track your progress, see your stats from current and previous hikes, etc etc.

maps/compass are great as backup, but there is a ton of reasons why us young folk actually enjoy technology and apps

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:

maps/compass are great as backup, but there is a ton of reasons why us young folk actually enjoy technology and apps
    Sorry guys - but that's a ludicrous statement. A map and compass will keep you save and get you home. An app might be fun and enjoyable, but when your battery runs out you are LOST. HK is not such a big deal - mostly common sense and your eyes will enable you to see the way home. But if you pull that stunt in some places in NZ, for example, or Australia, you die.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Sorry guys - but that's a ludicrous statement. A map and compass will keep you save and get you home. An app might be fun and enjoyable, but when your battery runs out you are LOST. HK is not such a big deal - mostly common sense and your eyes will enable you to see the way home. But if you pull that stunt in some places in NZ, for example, or Australia, you die.
    meow....kitty's got claws.
    reread my statement. no where did i say that you should depend on your app to save your life. My exact statement is that I prefer the apps as its faster to use, and has tons of great benefits over a map, while also being a map/compass. I also carry spare batteries for long hikes, and make sure my phone is fully charged.

That being said, I also mentioned to bring a map/compass of the area you are going as a backup. This way should Gaia smite you for your technological sins, you still can get home safely.

I find it "ludicrous" that you find my post "ludicrous".

there is an app called "enjoy hiking", free for android (i don't know about iphone) but it's useful!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Shooting from the hip a wee bit there MIn

Of course, nobody should ever go to the countryside/hills without an appropriate map & compass, however, I wonder how many people can actually use them correctly? (e.g. take a bearing etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:

Of course, nobody should ever go to the countryside/hills without an appropriate map & compass, however, I wonder how many people can actually use them correctly? (e.g. take a bearing etc.)
    Very few in HK. For some reason locals don't seem to get taught how to read a map. Are there no brownies or scouts here? but at least a map doesn't run out of batteries and very few people know how to use their GSP or phone map either ......

For the record, the telecoms companies here in HK have recently launched their Hiker service. It should have been in the press yesterday. We (the meetup group) tried to help with this (I say tried, I wouldn't endorse it necessarily). So if you are going hiking on your own with only a mobile phone, perhaps sign up for this service! Its called the 50222 SMS Hiker Tracking Service.

http://www.cahk.hk/cahk_hik_sms_leaflet.pdf
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 11-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Whilst I agree with you in principle, in several hundred hikes in Hong Kong, I have never had one occasion to use my compass. A map clearly is essential, but the terrain in HK is such that you are (or should be unless you are into the sport of "bushwhacking) walking on paths. Walking on a bearing as you might do in open countryside or moorland in other places basically isn't possible here. So if you can use the map competently you should be fine, and if you can't use the map competently then a compass isn't going to help.
    anothercanuck likes this.

Article on apps for hiking in Hong Kong

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. After testing out a few options I wrote an article for the SCMP about what are some possible apps to use which I've put up here too: Hot On The Trails: Hiking Apps Reviewed

Hope it is helpful.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by LyAndy:
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. After testing out a few options I wrote an article for the SCMP about what are some possible apps to use which I've put up here too: Hot On The Trails: Hiking Apps Reviewed

Hope it is helpful.

Regards
    Hilarious article. Do you realize how silly it sounds missing a trail because you were looking at the wrong app on your phone? And how much easier it might have been to do all the things mentioned in your article by BUYING A MAP and looking at it.

Seriously. Apps are fun and often useful. But when you are thinking about fit for purpose, don't ignore the "non-technological' solutions that have been around for thousands of years for a reason.
    bookblogger likes this.