Like Tree5Likes

Hiking Apps good for Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hiking Apps good for Hong Kong?

I've been scouting out a number of the good hiking trails in Hong Kong and I was wondering what hiking apps do most people here use (if/when they hike?) I used to use Accuterra but alot of the apps on the market are US-centric. What apps iphone/android have you found to be the most useful here?

I have both iOS and Android and want to find out before putting money down ...

I find that a map works fine for me. What exactly do you want a "hiking app" to do?

bookblogger likes this.

Everytrail is pretty neat if you want to track your hike. It is free on the android (don't know about the apple)

A good map is a must.
    A GPS is nice to have.
    Add water and you're all set.

What would use an app for? Everytrail is alright I guess but it doesnt add much to the experience.

I agree with the above that you don´t need any app for hiking.
    However, I can recommend an app (android) called "Enjoy Hiking". It gives you all (or most) hiking routes in HK and you can search based on district etc. I also downloads a database of photos and has description of lenght, duration, difficulty etc.
    Ofcourse not a must for hiking but a lot of information gathered on your phone so that you can find inspiration for your next hike

Ideally, there are three things I'd hope for...

1. Trails maps to head to based on my current location; seems to me a lot of urban setting trails - sometimes I not sure I'm on the right track!

2. recording meta data of my trails so you can compare elevation, timings etc and

3. maybe feed into some social network tracker/leaderboard?

Last edited by LyAndy; 07-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Sorry, i mean to add - a selection of trails based on current locations?

Last edited by LyAndy; 07-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Pepe77, " I also downloads a database of photos and has description of lenght, duration, difficulty etc.
    Ofcourse not a must for hiking but a lot of information gathered on your phone so that you can find inspiration for your next hike "

what database is that? The photo function sounds very inspiring.

Last edited by LyAndy; 07-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Well, plenty of apps to record meta data and share on social media - Google´s own "My Tracks" is one of them

I have not used this app and I'm not endorsing it. I have looked at it for a long time and have considered purchasing it and it fits into the criteria you are looking for:
    Gaia GPS - iPhone & Android - Offline Topo Maps

AFAIK, there are no routable and/or official electronic maps for Hong Kong hiking trails out there. Openstreetmap is the only source I know about and that is being maintained by a bunch of volunteers (I'm one of them)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast