Looking for a gym

Closed Thread

Looking for a gym

I'm moving to Hong Kong in November for 2 years and will be looking for a gym to train in. I prefer free weights rather than machines. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am also a strength and conditioning coach for a pro boxer at the moment so looking for contacts in the fitness industry out there too.

Thanks,

Dom

cheap - physical
    better but still not that good- california
    good but pricey - fitness first
    awesome but freaking expensive - pure

Thanks which one would you recommend? Also, do you know roughly how much per month they charge? I'm looking to go 3-4 times a week and im sure in one of the other forums that there is a limit on the number of times you can use one of them?

Thanks again

First question, where you gonna live / work?

Im gonna be joining this place : Action Waterfall

apparently it works out at 170HKD a month.

You pay two hundred and something for 12 months and you get 6 or 8 free.

Im probably going to be joining it soon along with a couple of friends.

First month I'll be living in the Salisbury hotel in the harbour, then looking to move in to an apartment near(ish) to central/sheung wan with a mate of mine but we are going to look for a place when I get across.

I go to Fitness First in Sheung one, I pay 548HKD dollar a month. In central you also have Pure but it's twice as much ( although much more fancy!)

California Fitness is my pick for group fitness. For weights, Fitness First - heaps of location, spread over 1-2 floors, always seems pretty empty. Pure is where people go to gawk at other people. I've checked out about 10 Fitness First, California Fitness and Pure gyms on Hong Kong Island now.

Quote Originally Posted by DomB87:
    I'm moving to Hong Kong in November for 2 years and will be looking for a gym to train in. I prefer free weights rather than machines. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am also a strength and conditioning coach for a pro boxer at the moment so looking for contacts in the fitness industry out there too.

Thanks,

Dom
    Another fitness professional that moved back to HK recently here! May end up working at Pure.

Anyway, ever try Crossfit?? Bad ass! Should give it a go!