Like Tree5Likes

Fitness first - any good and approximate membership fees?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    forgot to mention, for $598 (i think thats what I am paying) mine is all 4 clubs. Can go to any one of the four any time. Pay by credit card only, they charge your card every month, no lumpsum payment.
    If you mean "Passport" membership - this is what it sounds like, since there are only two options, one club or Passport (4 clubs), then it includes not only 4 clubs in Hong Kong but FF clubs elsewhere in the world. Except for Platinum clubs (for that you'll need Platinum membership). Pretty good deal, I think! I've been a member since 2006 (through my company) and I am now joining as individual (quit my job so corporate membership not available any more).
    Last edited by Khema; 20-12-2011 at 10:36 PM.

That's a completely fair comment based on your experiences. Obviously, you have more experience than me in that regard. I have only been here a month and have only trained at a Fitness First back home and CF here.

Just to respond to each point you raised though..

1) I don't see why that'd be an issue if you paid less than you would at Fitness First though unless you believe there may be a big disparity in service. A bit of research will tell the whoever is interested in joining what they should be paying.

2) Fair point - CF is crowded, but HK is vibrant and busy everywhere I have been so I wouldn't expect anything less.

I completely understand your point about training too. I'm in the gym myself to train hard and do a job unlike others. But any commercial gym can be a bit pretentious and everyone of them I've ever visited has had the same mentality so I can't understand how FF would be different.

3) You can haggle a good deal at CF that gives you access to all clubs at any hour (I have, anyway).

4) I just told them bluntly I wasn't interested in any additional sales and never to approach me.

5) Luck of the draw with bad staff really. I wouldn't hire a PT if my life depended on it - 80% of them are literally clueless who don't even train themselves half the time.

6) Can't respond!

Glad you've found happiness at FF though. Personally, dependant on the OP's conditions though and preferences, I still don't see any big advantage to California Fitness given the price.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    I have joined CF before and was highly disappointed honestly.

1) Yes more expensive, but no haggling for price, you know what you are paying and dont leave thinking, did I pay more?

2)They are not over crowded, unlike CF, where most of the machines, eg treadmills, were filled with eg. girls more interested in that their makeup and hair is intact, so they chose to walk slower than a snail, and yes I am saying for the experience, coz I have talked to a few girls there and the reply was (ok, one i remember is) dont want to get all sweaty and spoil my hair. More interested in finding men than working out.
    Before anyone thinks I was jealous, I was not, I was just annoyed ( as were a few other people I talked to) as I had to wait for the treadmills,for example, to get free, when I was least interested in men out there.
    If it helps, I was at CF Wan Chai, opposite immigration tower and went there around 8, after work. yes peak time and people like these, both girls and boys, made it worse.
    Never seen any such thing in FF, though I am paying more , I am much happier as I can get machines easily available.

3) No time restrictions like peak hours only, particular days only stuff.

4) No pushy sales people

5) Everytime you book a personal training session, you get a reminder and you have to input the password again in system after your training is finished. Trainers also know they just cant skip after booking someone, which is pretty common in CF, my experience and others too. at CF trainer booked me but never showed up,happened so many times.

6) Did not notice even one person (client) , who is not a FF staff, trying to offering personal training for cheaper, again very common in CF.

These are just a few positives I noticed in FF as compared to CF.

Paid extra but its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsPoppins:
    Hey thanks for the advice. I'm ok paying roughly 600 a month (maximum) so sounds as if it would be feasible. Also, ding even mention CF...had a trial a few years ago and they informed me I was "obese"! FYI my bmi is/was around 21 or so...never going back there that's for sure...
    I wouldn't take offence. Those scales are retarded and don't take into consideration anything like skeletal muscle tissue, bone disposition, etc. The person who told you was likely equally as clueless and confused.

I'm a member at Fitness First in TST.

The gym itself is pretty good and I can't fault the facilities, in fact I would recommend it. I pay just over HK$500 a month and managed to get them to waive the joining fee. Great view of the harbour from the gym too!

Have first hand experiences of some of the horror stories that Beachball mentioned earlier in this thread at California Fitness, I'll never go back.

However you might want to stay clear from booking any sessions with the Fitness First "personal trainers". If they are not returning from cigarette breaks stinking the place out, they are having McDonalds feasts in the staff room...located right next door to the main gym. Doesn't smell great when your working out on the machine next to the room....you'd think they would close the door. And I'm talking EVERY day of the week here, not just now and then.

Funniest thing I saw was when one of the "personal trainers" went into his locker whilst I was getting changed. The sole contents was 6 large cartons of cigarettes! Had to laugh....

Last edited by gmi; 21-12-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    Khema likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ9:
    From what I gather - in both reading on here and speaking to people - Fitness First is pretty much nearly twice as expensive as California Fitness. I haven't been but can't see why. They don't have nearly as many clubs in HK and can't really offer anything superior to my knowledge.
    CF is probably the worst chain in HK and fitness is the last thing they care about. They seem to be cutting staff or downsizing to smaller premises of late which is not a good sign. I have heard from some of their staff in TST that they are closing Causeway Bay early next year.

It is pretty easy to bargain them down in price as they seem desperate for business. Many of us pay $88 or $699 a year for all clubs/all hours (Worldwide) so go figure.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 21-12-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    CF is probably the worst chain in HK and fitness is the last thing they care about. They seem to be cutting staff or downsizing to smaller premises of late which is not a good sign. I have heard from some of their staff in TST that they are closing Causeway Bay early next year.

It is pretty easy to bargain them down in price as they seem desperate for business. Many of us pay $88 or $699 a year for all clubs/all hours (Worldwide) so go figure.
    None of the gyms care about your fitness anyway. They want you to sign up and never come again so you don't wear down their equipment or take up space. They're all equally as dreadful if you rely on their staff to provide a service to you. It's far better to just educate yourself on how to train and eat and use that as a basis for good health and fitness; as I said before, no way on earth would I trust any trainers of these commercial gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Khema:
    If you mean "Passport" membership - this is what it sounds like, since there are only two options, one club or Passport (4 clubs), then it includes not only 4 clubs in Hong Kong but FF clubs elsewhere in the world. Except for Platinum clubs (for that you'll need Platinum membership). Pretty good deal, I think! I've been a member since 2006 (through my company) and I am now joining as individual (quit my job so corporate membership not available any more).
    Yesssss, passport membership. I could not recall what it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ9:
    None of the gyms care about your fitness anyway. They want you to sign up and never come again so you don't wear down their equipment or take up space.
    Mostly agree with that.

They're all equally as dreadful if you rely on their staff to provide a service to you.
    Completely disagree with that. Some gyms (Pure and, to an extent, Seasons in my personal experience) provide acceptable service.

It's far better to just educate yourself on how to train and eat and use that as a basis for good health and fitness; as I said before, no way on earth would I trust any trainers of these commercial gyms.
    That might work for some (including you), but many people do not have the interest, ability, and/or the time to learn about proper training by themselves. Rather, they rely on the advice/guidance from a fitness professional - which makes perfect sense.

An "expert" at Pure (Mid-levels escalator branch) informed me when I arrived in HK that I was obese and needed to lose 12kg. I had just undergone 3 months of intense training and diet, I would have resembled a famine victim if I had lost that much weight.

Ah, I can reply to your comments:

That's a completely fair comment based on your experiences. Obviously, you have more experience than me in that regard. I have only been here a month and have only trained at a Fitness First back home and CF here.

Just to respond to each point you raised though..

1) I don't see why that'd be an issue if you paid less than you would at Fitness First though unless you believe there may be a big disparity in service. A bit of research will tell the whoever is interested in joining what they should be paying.

>>> yes service at FF is much better (atleast in my opinion). To give an example: I paid for 2 years upfront at CF, one club only (around 268 per month), my colleague paid $198 per month for one year membership, all clubs of CF....hell lot of difference. May be it depends on how much you can negotiate, but then I dont like haggling for price.
    No such thing FF, a little yes, ofcourse, but not like CF. Me and 3 friends who joined FF paid same price (andwe did not join together).

2) Fair point - CF is crowded, but HK is vibrant and busy everywhere I have been so I wouldn't expect anything less.

>>> yes HK is vibrant and busy, but gyms are not bars, they are working out places, need to be a little seriousness in people.

I completely understand your point about training too. I'm in the gym myself to train hard and do a job unlike others. But any commercial gym can be a bit pretentious and everyone of them I've ever visited has had the same mentality so I can't understand how FF would be different.

>>> like I mentioned before, i dint find any such problem at FF, what I saw in CF, and I have been there all time, including peak hours, 8 pm that is. Most, if not all, were working out and not showing off, they were working out instead....a big motivation to work out (for a person like me atleast).

3) You can haggle a good deal at CF that gives you access to all clubs at any hour (I have, anyway).

>>> Haggle, well thats not for everyone, certainly not for me, 5 min haggling and thats all. Cant spend my mind of useless thing like these.

4) I just told them bluntly I wasn't interested in any additional sales and never to approach me.

>>> I did that, but no use whatsoever!

5) Luck of the draw with bad staff really. I wouldn't hire a PT if my life depended on it - 80% of them are literally clueless who don't even train themselves half the time.

>>> My friends experience at FF is different, (may be they were just lucky) but all of them liked their trainer.

6) Can't respond!

>>>

Glad you've found happiness at FF though. Personally, dependant on the OP's conditions though and preferences, I still don't see any big advantage to California Fitness given the price.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast