Like Tree5Likes

Fitness first - any good and approximate membership fees?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    It is pretty easy to bargain them down in price as they seem desperate for business. Many of us pay $88 or $699 a year for all clubs/all hours (Worldwide) so go figure.
    When & what kind of contract you signed to get that price?
    Once i checked with CF last year, they asked few hundreds per months.

At CF I paid $6K for two years, Central branch only.

One advantage of living in a new building is that a gym is included and its free.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Don't know whether it still stands, but CF was barred from taking cases to the Small Claims Tribunal.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Don't know whether it still stands, but CF was barred from taking cases to the Small Claims Tribunal.
    Curious to know what happened?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

CF would ignore members requests to cancel their memberships unless it was done 100% specifically how they wanted it - even registered post was not deemed worthy. CF would then keep charging the (ex-)members' credit cards. The (ex-)members would stop the cards so CF would take them to the SCT. CF clogged up the court going after (ex-)members that it considered to still be members. The SCT said "no more"! Don't know whether CF found another way to get the money it feels justified to collect or its under seriously different management (but reading that it is still a gay cruising joint, probably not).

The moral is don't give CF your credit card number ever, no way, no how, not even from your cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    CF would ignore members requests to cancel their memberships unless it was done 100% specifically how they wanted it - even registered post was not deemed worthy. CF would then keep charging the (ex-)members' credit cards. The (ex-)members would stop the cards so CF would take them to the SCT. CF clogged up the court going after (ex-)members that it considered to still be members. The SCT said "no more"! Don't know whether CF found another way to get the money it feels justified to collect or its under seriously different management (but reading that it is still a gay cruising joint, probably not).

The moral is don't give CF your credit card number ever, no way, no how, not even from your cold dead fingers.
    Its the same management with new tactics. They fired the 2 Aussie VP's last December after the lawsuits etc but replaced them with locals who carry on the same practice.

TST & Mongkok are Gay clubs and the male changing rooms and showers are full of agressive gay males who bother members, enter occupied showers and some offer oral sex for cash. The TST manager insists that expats get the wrong idea when the see 2 - 3 Chinese males use a single shower stall. They are supposedly just trying to save water & the environment

Some PT staff use lockers to store contraband cigarettes, Protein & Steroids which is sold to members. Nothing is done about this either and we have found used needles on the floor in the showers at times.

They still bother people to renew even if they have 2 years left on their memberships and I have a feeling a lot of people in CWB might get screwed over soon as there are rumors that that club might be closed or relocated next year. The management deny this but the trainers have been warning people for the past few weeks.

@Smarti
    They were pretty hard up for cash a few years ago and if you signed up for a 2-3 year deal they offered you a $88 or $699 price (All Clubs/All Hours/ Worldwide) once your contract was up.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 21-12-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Khema and Creative83 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    An "expert" at Pure (Mid-levels escalator branch) informed me when I arrived in HK that I was obese and needed to lose 12kg. I had just undergone 3 months of intense training and diet, I would have resembled a famine victim if I had lost that much weight.
    Not sure if ethnic issues played a point here. Generally Asian BMI is 23.5kg or so before classed as overweight compared to Western 25. Regardless telling people they "have" to lose that weight is stupid for 3 reasons.

1. No one likes being told what to do... it is the kid in us.
    2. 10% weight loss is beneficial in all aspects in life.
    3. Most PTs/Experts tell you the bottom line of what "most" people would be. Disregarding all other factors.

Personally I worked in the UK health service as a trainer for the upper end obese and when you are training a 30 stone male you can't say listen you need to lose 18stone.

Sorry rant over... dislike it when I witness poor training. It is not all trainers but some do give PTs a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ9:
    None of the gyms care about your fitness anyway. They want you to sign up and never come again so you don't wear down their equipment or take up space. They're all equally as dreadful if you rely on their staff to provide a service to you. It's far better to just educate yourself on how to train and eat and use that as a basis for good health and fitness; as I said before, no way on earth would I trust any trainers of these commercial gyms.
    Curious AJ did you/do you work in the area as you are spot on. Around about 70% drop off rate is ideal when they have you signed up for 24months. Little different in the UK now with some gyms offering no contract but previously gyms would get you to sign up for a good year to 18months and hope you quit in 3m.

Although some decent trainers about - just not many as the good ones get out of the industry or set up a PT studio.

Joined 2 mths ago, 548 for all 4 clubs, not the platinum ones, 12mths contract, 638 body first n will be refund in 3 mths

lavina_ likes this.