Like Tree3Likes

Where to train thai/kickboxing in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where to train thai/kickboxing in HK?

Hello all.

I'm looking for some advice on where to continue my kickboxing training in Hong Kong for when I'll be going there later this year. I stumbled over an old thread (http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/77/thread4620.html) dealing with a similar question, however it seemed quite outdated so I thought I'd start my own. I also checked out The List (Sports, Indoor | The List - The website that knows Hong Kong), but would like to hear some personal experiences / recommendations regarding which club to join.

Some info about me:
    I have been training kickboxing for around 1,5 years, however I have no sparring or actual fighting experience from kickboxing as of now. I currently practice 2-3 times a week and supplement it with the occasional running, if the weather allows for it! I would also like to continue my training at least 2 times a week when I go to HK. At the moment my primary goal with the training is to get/stay fit and cut, and not to get into an actual fighting career. However, I wouldn't mind getting to a level where sparring
    can become a part of the workout.

What I'm looking for:
    I'm mostly looking for a club with a good atmosphere, nice premises and skilled trainers. I'd of course also be interested in making some new friends As I hardly speak any Cantonese, I would prefer the training to be in English. Furthermore, being a student means I'll also have to consider the membership fee. So anything above 1500HKD/month would probably be out of the question, and I would prefer to bump it down below 1000HKD/month. (In Copenhagen I currently pay 200DKK/month which is approximately 300HKD!)

So far(!), Impakt (Welcome to Impakt) seems very attractive and professional, but is this place really as good as it looks? I haven't contacted them regarding the membership fees, but they seemed to range close to 1000HKD/month.

I hope this wasn't too big a wall of text for a first post here, but thanks for making it this far!

sandyduncan likes this.

I'll give you the same advice I give to everyone who asks this question:

Go everywhere.

Almost every gym will have a free trial class. Try as many of these as you can stand in your area. Don't let them pressure you into signing up immediately. Eventually, you will find the one you like and fits best for you.

This is what I did when I first came to Hong Kong and didn't know anything. I had experience in fighting but the fact is you can never know unless you take a class or two. Most people will tell your their gym is "the best" or spout off credentials. Forget their recommendations; most people have probably only tried 1 or 2 gyms. Besides, everyone is different and you need an instructor, environment, and sparring partners that work well for you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Khema and Hallinix like this.

^^Good advice to check out a bunch of gyms and find out which ones work for you.

Ive been training for 6-7 years, and these are the ones that work for me.

Rush Studio - Wan Chai. All thai trainers, smaller classes, more attention, Pricing is by lesson or by package of 4/8/12/unlimted is ~1300 for the month.
    Rush Studio - Muay Thai & Fitness

Fantasy Muay Thai - Between Causeway & Wan Chai. All thai trainers, gyms getting bigger so classes are getting a bit bigger, but still quality. Pricing runs the same, individual to packages running about ~1300 for unlimited.
    Welcome to Fantasy Fitness and Muay Thai website

Been, but not too keen on:
    Swish club - Causeway bay. These guys seem to have gotten too big. The trainers are good and all thai except the two managers who are locals, but the classes are getting watered down, and it feels completely impersonal. Most of the instruction is now in Chinese.... Pricing is different between weekdays before/after 6pm and on the weekends. HUGE club, though, and is split between co-ed and all female classes for the shy-er folk.
    https://www.swishclub.com.hk

WUnique - Wan Chai. I went here once and will not go back. All of the trainers were local. They did not train anyone to their ability, and actually were trying to train VERY new people advanced techniques and two people got hurt. Ventilation in the gym was terrible, gear was run down, and the ring was almost mattress-soft and covered with an actual tarp of some kind, which was great for twisting ankles.
    WUNIQUE THAI-BOXING & FITNESS

honorable mentions:
    Abira in Mong Kok. Several of my friends train here, and I have personally trained with the two main trainers in other gyms.
    Abira Thai Boxing & Fitness

Impakt, which you have mentioned already. These guys are more known for training to fight, though, and may be a little rough on those just trying to get started, or just trying to stay fit.

Thanks for your replies!

I'll make sure to check out a couple of gyms before getting settled.

I found quite a few of those you linked interesting oki_boy, and I hadn't seen their sites before so I'll be sure to drop by Rush, Fantasy and Abira - perhaps also Swish just to see the difference during my initial month.

I won't be going until after the summer though, so it will be some time before I can give an update on my findings.

Are there a lot of users on these boards who train kick/thai boxing in HK? and if you do where and why? Just curious about what the scene looks like in HK =)

new Muaythai / MMA gym opening in Central

There is a new gym opening in Central which is a proper muaythai & MMA gym, I know because my husband has an interview there for a trainer's job & he has over 10yrs experience as a pro-fighter. They will have 2 Thai trainers there also. I'll update when I know more

DEF boxing in Sheung Wan does thai boxing too and it seems popular. No idea about the quality as I only go for western boxing classes.

My flatmate goes to a muay thai gym in central. I'll find out which one and get his opinion on it.

Ive been to a few places in HK... the best value for money i find is Versus - 550HKD per month x 5 times a week. If you make the lunch classes it's never really more than 4 or 5 people in the class - ive even been the only one a couple of times so it was 1 on 1 with the trainer.

Impakt etc are usually busy classes and i didn't feel i got much attention from the trainers so i wasn't learning much.

^^550 a month is seriously cheap! That'd be a good place to start, at least.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast