Like Tree13Likes

Leisure and Cultural Services Department Fitness Rooms

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Of the ones I've seen:

The one at Sun Yat Sen is pretty reasonable - reasonable sized, pretty quiet.
    The one at HK Park is also OK.
    The one at Smithfield is big-ish, but old.
    The one in Wanchai Lockhart Rd is definitely not worth paying anything for - old and tiny.

Have not seen a barbell in any of them.

dossier and jgl like this.

Thanks. Which Fitness Room is the newest of all of them? (and so potentially more "swish" than even Pure Fitness)?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Thanks. Which Fitness Room is the newest of all of them? (and so potentially more "swish" than even Pure Fitness)?
    Do you understand that the Government's fitness rooms are basic? That you'll have to wait to use the machines because, in most cases, there's only one of each?

Actually some of the equipment is pretty swish in the LCSD rooms

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Yes you need to pass the training class on how to use the equipment etc etc and the cue for that training is very long thats why I didnt bother as well, I heard the gyms are mostly empty but with out that training class, you cant use it.
    Thanks - I took and passed the class. I have to say it was a very long 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Do you understand that the Government's fitness rooms are basic? That you'll have to wait to use the machines because, in most cases, there's only one of each?
    Given the fraction of the price that it costs compared to Pure Fitness (or any other gym chain), it seems like very good value for the equipment that is available in LCSD fitness rooms

Example would be: average person goes to the gym twice a week; which is c. 9 times a month. Let's call that 10 times a month.

Typical Pure Fitness gym membership subscription is HKD1400 a month; which makes it c. HKD140 per gym visit

Typical LCSD gym visit on a pay-as-you-go-basis is HKD16 for 1 hour. Let's suppose you prefer 2 hours in the gym, so HKD32 a visit. 10 visits in a month would cost HKD320 (actually you could get the monthly ticket for HKD180; but let's say you prefer the flexibility of the pay-as-you-go, in case you skip some weeks).

So LCSD is about 20% of the price of Pure Fitness. True it is not as swish as a high-end gym.

Rob2020 and Elegiaque like this.

I also grant you, you won't get (which you would in Pure):

- provided with gym kit and towels
    - provided with shower kit
    - swish marble showers
    - sweeping skyline views
    - smoothie bar and drinks
    - tvs on gym equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Example would be: average person goes to the gym twice a week; which is c. 9 times a month. Let's call that 10 times a month.

Typical Pure Fitness gym membership subscription is HKD1400 a month; which makes it c. HKD140 per gym visit

Typical LCSD gym visit on a pay-as-you-go-basis is HKD16 for 1 hour. Let's suppose you prefer 2 hours in the gym, so HKD32 a visit. 10 visits in a month would cost HKD320 (actually you could get the monthly ticket for HKD180; but let's say you prefer the flexibility of the pay-as-you-go, in case you skip some weeks).

So LCSD is about 20% of the price of Pure Fitness. True it is not as swish as a high-end gym.
    This comparison is interesting, but skips the whole question of whether an LCSD facility meets the baseline criteria for what an individual might need in a gym.

I've visually checked maybe 4 of these facilities over the years, they vary a lot in size and cleanliness, but for me none of them have been usable because they lack the basic equipment that I need to exercise effectively. These gyms seem to be designed either for elderly people (a big user group from what I've seen), or people who are extremely new to weight training. Which is fair enough and probably well suited to the bulk of the population, but not at all useful if all I need is a barbell, a squat rack and a bench- none of the LCSDs which I've seen have these, and the machine equivalents are not useful.

Pure is flash, well polished and has lots of what I consider to be silly extras, but their gyms also let people do workouts which are not possible in an LCSD facility.

A simple monetary comparison is about as valid as saying "well, you can buy a motorcycle for $100 instead of this nice van for $1000" to someone who needs move lots of luggage.

I don't want to pay Pure prices for stuff that I don't need (I'm not a member) but at the same time an LCSD is completely useless to me. I'd get more out of hiking (free!) than using one of those facilities.

Edit: from what I can figure, Pure memberships are closer to 1000 rather than 1400, but I haven't bothered to check out too many of their locations.
    Last edited by jgl; 18-09-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebayhtl:
    Of the ones I've seen:

The one at Sun Yat Sen is pretty reasonable - reasonable sized, pretty quiet.
    The one at HK Park is also OK.
    The one at Smithfield is big-ish, but old.
    The one in Wanchai Lockhart Rd is definitely not worth paying anything for - old and tiny.

Have not seen a barbell in any of them.
    The one in Quarry Bay is pretty good too. Newish equipment, a decent amount of space.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast