Like Tree13Likes

Leisure and Cultural Services Department Fitness Rooms

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    This comparison is interesting, but skips the whole question of whether an LCSD facility meets the baseline criteria for what an individual might need in a gym.

I've visually checked maybe 4 of these facilities over the years, they vary a lot in size and cleanliness, but for me none of them have been usable because they lack the basic equipment that I need to exercise effectively. These gyms seem to be designed either for elderly people (a big user group from what I've seen), or people who are extremely new to weight training. Which is fair enough and probably well suited to the bulk of the population, but not at all useful if all I need is a barbell, a squat rack and a bench- none of the LCSDs which I've seen have these, and the machine equivalents are not useful.

Pure is flash, well polished and has lots of what I consider to be silly extras, but their gyms also let people do workouts which are not possible in an LCSD facility.

A simple monetary comparison is about as valid as saying "well, you can buy a motorcycle for $100 instead of this nice van for $1000" to someone who needs move lots of luggage.

I don't want to pay Pure prices for stuff that I don't need (I'm not a member) but at the same time an LCSD is completely useless to me. I'd get more out of hiking (free!) than using one of those facilities.

Edit: from what I can figure, Pure memberships are closer to 1000 rather than 1400, but I haven't bothered to check out too many of their locations.
    All very fair points - they are not direct comparisons in terms of equipment, services and availability. It is like high end restaurants vs. budget vs. fast food.

My last quote from Pure in 2014 was:

ALL CLUBS PURE YOGA AND PURE FITNESS FOR HK, SGP and Taiwan:
    · Prepaid 24 Months: $29,132 that works out to an average of $1214
    · 12 Months: Joining fee $1999 and $1388 per month
    · 6 Months: Joining fee $1999 and $1588 per month
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Do you understand that the Government's fitness rooms are basic? That you'll have to wait to use the machines because, in most cases, there's only one of each?
    True, but the HKSAR Government tends to spend a lot on public infrastructure, compared to some countries! , and continues to spend more on building / modernising as of 2015 and into the future.
    Last edited by dossier; 18-09-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    All very fair points - they are not direct comparisons in terms of equipment, services and availability. It is like high end restaurants vs. budget vs. fast food.

My last quote from Pure in 2014 was:

ALL CLUBS PURE YOGA AND PURE FITNESS FOR HK, SGP and Taiwan:
    · Prepaid 24 Months: $29,132 that works out to an average of $1214
    · 12 Months: Joining fee $1999 and $1388 per month
    · 6 Months: Joining fee $1999 and $1588 per month
    If you join a single facility, the price comes down a bit. I've seen from 900 upwards, can't remember the contract durations though.

Quote Originally Posted by ebayhtl:
    Of the ones I've seen:

The one at Sun Yat Sen is pretty reasonable - reasonable sized, pretty quiet.
    The one at HK Park is also OK.
    The one at Smithfield is big-ish, but old.
    The one in Wanchai Lockhart Rd is definitely not worth paying anything for - old and tiny.

Have not seen a barbell in any of them.
    Thanks - I agree I don't think any have barbells, just dumbells.

Sun Yat Sen does seem reasonable: moderately sized.
    Tung Chung: seems a little more "swish" with window views

What is the difference between an LCSD designated venues and non-designated venues of fitness rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If you join a single facility, the price comes down a bit. I've seen from 900 upwards, can't remember the contract durations though.
    Fair point. I was quoted:

2) IFC ONLY PREPAID MEMBERSHIP:

· Prepaid 24 Months: $25,171 that works out to an average of $1049 per month

I should probably clarify that I am actually a big fan of Pure Fitness
    Last edited by dossier; 18-09-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Is there a gym in Discovery Bay?

Never seen it but I have been told that there is one operated by whatever company runs DB.

Can anyone identify where this LCSD Fitness room is? It looks quite well equipped, but I cannot identify the location.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tness_Room.JPG

The Kowloon Park one actually looks quite pleasant

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/common/ima...itnessRoom.jpg