Like Tree5Likes

Physical Fitness gym (Central)

Reply
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith:
    Sounds good. Although it is perfectly possible to train your body as a unit using weightlifting techniques as well. Squats, Deadlifts, Olympic Lifts etc. I might drop you a PM about the MMA training when I get my shoulder issue sorted out.
    Yes I totally agree. It can be done as well in a gym. I don't know anyone doing it though. It requires too much of a discipline. Unless you have a private instructor to push you for it...which would cost you a lot more than $2K a month. In gyms most people want to achieve results. and their results = aesthetic as opposed to athletic. They end up with a disproportionate body who cannot work properly. Which is why I think the structure of Epic MMA gym works best. Once a member you can turn up to any classes, any time, any day. the classes are taught by world class athletes holding world champions titles - and you end up most the time in small groups of 6 or 8 people. You can do Muay Thai Cardio on monday, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on tuesday, use their gym equipment on wednesday and do your own session, do circuit training on thursday etc...
    If you check the members of that gym, none of them have ridiculously big arms or big chest...but they are all pretty well rounded athletes. which is ultimately what our body is built to do.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I haven't followed your(?) CF thread too closely, but you mention PTs here.

    Don't use personal trainers in any of the middle-tier gyms (I'm not sure about Pure). Just about every personal trainer I have ever seen training someone else has been a complete waste of training fees.
    Your view is quite consistent with the general views here which I belatedly learnt

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Yeah but its HK$2k a month. Sure if you are committed to working out, but a lot of people are not so committed (like me) and are looking for something they can go to 3 odd times a week.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Shit is that how much it costs?

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hamilton, NZ --> Causeway Bay, HK
    Posts
    266

    I had a trainer for about 6 months. He was useful to help me learn proper technique on machines and weights, and taught some interesting new ways to do exercises. But all that useful stuff could have been taught in 1 month. After that, they just function like a motivator, which you probably don't need unless you got $$$ to burn (I didn't), and sweet-talk/guilt talk you into continually signing up for more and more lessons.


  5. #65

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5

    Just went to Physical (sheung wan branch) yesterday, quoted me $340 for 28 months. Is this price inflated because of the summer peak season?


  6. #66

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,113
    Quote Originally Posted by MyCsPiTTa:
    I had a trainer for about 6 months. He was useful to help me learn proper technique on machines and weights, and taught some interesting new ways to do exercises. But all that useful stuff could have been taught in 1 month. After that, they just function like a motivator, which you probably don't need unless you got $$$ to burn (I didn't), and sweet-talk/guilt talk you into continually signing up for more and more lessons.
    You found a good PT who taught technique and was motivating? That's quite exceptional- which gym was this at?

    I was just watching a PT a FF in Quarry Bay last week walk his client through an incline machine press... with about 80% of the correct range of motion, and with weights that should have been used for warming up instead of exercise.

  7. #67

    I was offered $388 for 13 months in the new Tai Po club. Can anyone tell me how to get a lower rate or if this is a good rate? Do you suggest I sign up at another branch (and, if so, which branch) to get a better rate? Thanks!


  8. #68

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by 1denisiel:
    I was offered $388 for 13 months in the new Tai Po club. Can anyone tell me how to get a lower rate or if this is a good rate? Do you suggest I sign up at another branch (and, if so, which branch) to get a better rate? Thanks!
    I just joined yesterday at the Central / Sheung Wan branch and bargained my way to $338 / month for 28 months. However I remember I got quoted around $380-390 for a short-term contract e.g. one year, so I guess its about the same.

    Note that I joined at the Central branch, but the price of $338 actually includes all gyms in Hong Kong, so you don't have to worry about sticking to one location which is nice

    Please PM me if you would like this deal, I can refer you if you'd like.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy:
    I just joined yesterday at the Central / Sheung Wan branch and bargained my way to $338 / month for 28 months. However I remember I got quoted around $380-390 for a short-term contract e.g. one year, so I guess its about the same.

    Note that I joined at the Central branch, but the price of $338 actually includes all gyms in Hong Kong, so you don't have to worry about sticking to one location which is nice

    Please PM me if you would like this deal, I can refer you if you'd like.
    Thanks Lewy! Will try to renegotiate with my branch first using your numbers. Hoping to get a 12 month contract because not too sure what this new branch will be like.

    If you get a referral bonus, I would be happy to give them your name - please PM me if you'd like that.

  10. #70

    I'll be visiting for a month ish(4th-29), anyone know how much it would cost? I could go through the 7 day trial period. and just need an extra 2 weeks ish.
    Thanks!


Reply
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast