Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mat

how hard is Oxfam Trailwalker for a novice?

Closed Thread

how hard is Oxfam Trailwalker for a novice?

Am thinking of signing up for the trailwalker 100k in November. How strenuous would it be for a relative beginner? I've not done hikes longer than 2.5 hours. Thanks!

If you are semi-decent, you will finish in 24 hours.
    Can you handle 10x your current experience?

It's easy (yes it is) if you train properly

Training properly means 3 months (from late august till race day) of at least one weekly long hike:
    - start small 2/2.5 hours on relatively flat and then build up until a month before the event you are able to do the first 50km of the trail in one go.Train as much as possible on the MacLehose

My take would be :
    Week 1 - section 9 and 10 (the easiest)
    Week 2 - section 7 and 8 (shorter but more climbs)
    Week 3 - section 1 and 2 (longer - one big climb)
    Week 4 - section 6-7 and 8
    Week 5 - section 4 and 5 (lots of climbs)
    Week 6 - section 3 4 and 5 (lots lots of climbs)
    Week 7 - Another trail
    Week 8 - section 1-2-3-4-5
    Week 9 - section 6-7-8-9-10
    Week 10 - section 3 4 and 5 (the hardest)
    Week 11 - section 9 - 10
    Week 12- Race Day.

This training will allow you to finish in between 25-30 hours without too much problem

If you aim faster, let me know then it gets trickier and you need to add running session and all.

Fiona in HKG and dear giant like this.

Mat, I agree with everything you've said except for the "its easy" bit...There is nothing easy about that training schedule you've posted :-)

Yes, its doable by most able bodied ppl but its not easy. Even very the very fit require a couple of days of recovery after the experience of 100km's with a few kms of vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by amberash:
    Am thinking of signing up for the trailwalker 100k in November. How strenuous would it be for a relative beginner? I've not done hikes longer than 2.5 hours. Thanks!
    You need to define 'relative beginner' a little more carefully- are you generally fit via other sports or a couch potato? Are you light or are you significantly overweight? How are you with exercise in hot, humid weather?

For someone with minimal hiking experience but a reasonable baseline of fitness and no injuries, and most importantly a good dash of mental fortitude, Trailwalker is completely do-able as long as you have sufficient training.

I'd kind of agree with Mat, only I think it's not rigorous enough. From close to zero hiking, I'd throw in at least an extra month, plus a healthy dose of mid-week night hikes (assuming you work during the daytime). The usual HK Island training route is a there-and-back of the Twins.

Most people can do Trailwalker, but regardless of how fit you are, it is hard. As long as you avoid injury, it's more a question of how quickly you do it

Yes. Add at least 2 night hikes to get used to walk at night.
    Try to have an idea of which sectiosn u will do at night and practice them.

Eat healthy and no alcohol the last month.

Hydrate a lot he week before.

Take care of your feet: good shoes..

And avoid chaffing (use vaseline just fine).

When I say it is easy it means that pretty much anyone can do it. You just need to take it one step at a time, one section at a time.

An important thing is also to have good teammates willing to wait for you without moaning.

Enjoy !

Last edited by Mat; 07-05-2012 at 07:55 PM.

I avoid shaffing even when not training. I find it's healthier.

I did a Trailwalker without much training and was fine for about the first 12 hours, but after the next 12 hours was very tired. Finished it but was given oxygen for exhaustion... strongly suggest you put in enough training, could definitely be dangerous otherwise. Knew someone else who tried to cram training at the last minute and started with blisters, then dropped out halfway with bloody feet.

If you look at the Meetup hiking group (Hong Kong Hiking Meetup (Hong Kong) - Meetup) we are currently running training hikes for slower (i.e. new) hikers. These give you an orientation on the trail and help you see how fast you go so you can judge your speed. It also helps you to meet other potential newbies to find a team (you need a team of 4 to compete).