Like Tree1Likes

Gyms in Central area

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gyms in Central area

Hi, I'm looking to join a gym in the Central area and I can't find much up-to-date info on any other threads around here. I'm looking at:

-- Pure Soho
    -- Fitness First in Grand Millenium Plaza (is this the only one with a swimming pool?)
    -- Seasons on Garden Rd
    -- California at the L Place

And I'm wondering:

-- What rates are you managing to get?
    -- How are the classes?
    -- How crowded do they get weekdays after 7pm and on weekends?

Appreciate any advice.

Oh also, is anyone a member of Impakt, the gym/muay thai place? I went to visit and it looked pretty small, wondering how crowded it gets at peak hours?

Oops, I meant to ask if Seasons is the only one with a swimming pool!

From what I hear pure Soho gets very packed...likely reasons are the number of.models that use it and the fact that it is en route for a lot of people.

I thought seasons was the only central.gym with a pool...

California is ok if u want cheap, long opening hours and good classes and don't mind equipment without tv screens.attached to them. It is one of the smallest california branches.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using GeoClicks Mobile

Fitness First Grand Mil. Plaza is quite good. I enjoy going there and some of the classes are really great. Its not insanely busy after 7. You'll always find a machine and its doesn't get crowded enough to hamper your exercise routine/plan. Its a comfortable gym.

Physical fitness in Sheung Wan.

FF's so-called "platinum" branch in exchange square. Oh terrible. Smallest gym i've ever been to with Pure prices and opening hours like a michelin starred restaurant in a village in Southern Europe- closed at 7 on Saturdays and CLOSED on ALL Sundays. Probably the only good thing is its nepresso coffee. Too bad i had signed up for a year i should have just stayed with Pure.

Yeah I don't get why anyone would bother with the Exchange Sq Platinum branch, I went a few times and while it's dead quiet during the day (I was on holidays at that point), you could see it's somewhere you would not want to be during peak hours - it's just way too small. Their Wanchai one looks pretty good though, have you been kittyctc? If so, review?

The Sheung Wan Fitness First is ok - they have a lot of machines, but their stretching area (while nice) is v small (they try to cram dumbbells, weight logs, balance platforms, stretching sessions, and their cord system thing!), and it's also right next to the cardio area/ spin studio/yoga classroom, so that whole level gets really crowded during rush hours. I spend a lot of time in the weights area and that area is quite decent (not too crowded), except the equipment there is definitely not new. Then again, FF is also significantly cheaper than Pure... 530HK v 800-900HK.

Hmm, I'm not sure Pure is HK$900 a month anymore, its more over HK$1k a month.

Also people seem to forget Physical in Sheung Wan. I"m paying less than HK$250 a month there. New and modern. While it is much more "local" than the likes of FF and Pure, it is a lot cheaper.

There is also a massive new MMA gym in central, but it is something like HK$2k a month (but that include your own kit and classes).

+1 for Physical Fitness, Mr SS a member and rates it highly.

I used to do Pure...never again. Damn they have special thoughts about themselves!

Gave FF a shot in Sheung Wan...never had a problem there, I just get in and get out with my stuff I need to do. They only thing I thought was weird, was the spin classes (I do a lot of bike riding/racing) and a few of the instructors tend to think its a Karaoke class for us to listen to them sing!@%$!$@ What the? Just play the music and tell us whats next and shut the hell up!

Otherwise very good...$500 vs $1000+ at Pure

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast