Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 100LL
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07

Fitness/gym workout help

Closed Thread

Fitness/gym workout help

Hi,

I live in Lai Chi Kok and looking to lose some weight and I would like to meet someone to help me out with the workout, I am fat and would like to lose the belly fat. Getting married in around 8 months so looking to be fit by then. I would like to meet someone to help me out with the workout. I would in Lai Chi Kok and can travel little around to gym .. Maybe TST, Olympic or anywhere closeby .. I have nothing to give but friendship .. I can meet first if you like .. Please help me out ..

Deep

Are u a member of any gym?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using GeoClicks Mobile

Hi Deep

If you are serious about this you have to address more than just the workout. It's seldom only one thing (ie. lack of exercise) that put you in the place you are in, it's a combination of lifestyle (choices) in most cases: sedentary job, no exercise, choice of food/drinks, sleep pattern, stress, etc.

If you want an easy to read and follow step for step guide thats based on time tested principles and science (= no cheap gimmicks or supplements that are supposed to do the work for you but only have an impact on the weight of your wallet), then I have an ebook recommendation for you. The book has been on the market for almost 10 years and is THE guide to fat loss. It has turned around my life at least, and I've literally met dozens of people that told me the same.

It's more than 300 pages, but it is well structured and easy to understand. Losing weight is simple, but it won't be easy. And there is no cookie cutter solution that works for everyone of us, we're all different and have a different lifestyle. Depending where you are now it can be either a nobrainer to reach your goal in 8 months or it may be unrealistic. It's another thing the book will teach you, to set goals realistically and stick to the plan, consistency is they key.

The book is called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle and available in PDF format. Google it if what I said sounds interesting.

It will so teach you how to structure your workout sessions and has a chapter about beginning weight lifting, cardio, timing, schedule, choice of exercise, etc. Just "going to the gym" is definitely not the optimal approach.

You won't regret if you decide ti read it. When I found the book after years and years of frustration and back and forth, I was in Tokyo over the weekend with my better half and I couldn't stop reading. It took me only a day or two to realize the no BS approach in the book is the way forward. The guy who wrote it had been at it for a long long time, he basically did all the work so at the end you just have to go and do it.

The website should be
    http://www.burnthefat.com

Good luck.

MovingIn07 and Satay Sue like this.

If you fancy making the trip up to tuen mun (40 mins by mtr) I can lift some weights with you. I'm doing a programme which involves squat, bench press, overhead press, deadlift and barbell row. I haven't been doing it long but have definitely gained a lot of strength and muscle.

I know your aim is to burn fat, but if you eat about the same, but gain muscle, this will happen in due course.

Only problem is lifting weights makes you hungry so you will have to think about your diet too... so take what 100LL says on board - this isn't my area of expertise except I do try and eat 'real' food instead of processed stuff to a certain extent - For one thing I've learnt how to make really tasty grilled chicken breasts and I do about 8 at a time in the oven and have them as snacks or light meals instead of munching on crisps or chocolate. (Let me clarify - I don't EAT 8 at a time, I COOK 8 at a time haha. Then I heat them up on a hot cast iron grill pan for a couple of mins when I want to eat them)

For cardio, join our friday football, (a few of us from geo meet in north point) but... maybe don't go overboard in the drinking session that follows *ahem* Or if you fancy cycling, let me know. I'm looking for someone to go cycling with. I'm even up for a game of squash (I'm a beginner) - So don't say you've got no options.

Good luck

Last edited by justjoe86; 30-05-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Exclamation marks making me look psychotic. Which I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Joke)

If you are overweight and don't know where to start, hiking is not a bad place. No fees, good cardio workout and you do it with other people so they keep you going. Try taking a look at the hikes on Hong Kong Hiking Meetup 香港遠足覓合團 (Hong Kong) - Meetup and see what you think.

Other than that, 100LL makes good sense. You need to think holistically. You cannot burn "belly fat". Impossible. Ignore all the gimmicks and stuff that say so. To get a smaller belly, you burn ALL your fat, and eventually some comes off the belly or you tone up your core muscles so that you tuck in the fat. A mixture of both is good. Cardio alone is not enough - you need some weights. And if you are going to embark on a fitter lifestyle, stretching is important too, so throw in some yoga/body balance or equivalent. Then look at your diet. You don't need to "go on a diet" or anything stupid like that. Just figure out what you are eating, weigh your food, google it on the internet to find out how many calories and then just cut them down a little. Cut out the wasted calories - suggary drinks, snacks etc first and try to eat more meat, veggies and fruits and less processed rubbish.

Satay Sue likes this.

I workout in California fitness mong kok if you fancy joining me - I use a mixture of cardio and resistance machines and also do some cardio and strength work without equipment.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    If you fancy making the trip up to tuen mun (40 mins by mtr) I can lift some weights with you. I'm doing a programme which involves squat, bench press, overhead press, deadlift and barbell row. I haven't been doing it long but have definitely gained a lot of strength and muscle.

I know your aim is to burn fat, but if you eat about the same, but gain muscle, this will happen in due course.

Only problem is lifting weights makes you hungry so you will have to think about your diet too... so take what 100LL says on board - this isn't my area of expertise except I do try and eat 'real' food instead of processed stuff to a certain extent - For one thing I've learnt how to make really tasty grilled chicken breasts and I do about 8 at a time in the oven and have them as snacks or light meals instead of munching on crisps or chocolate. (Let me clarify - I don't EAT 8 at a time, I COOK 8 at a time haha. Then I heat them up on a hot cast iron grill pan for a couple of mins when I want to eat them)

For cardio, join our friday football, (a few of us from geo meet in north point) but... maybe don't go overboard in the drinking session that follows *ahem* Or if you fancy cycling, let me know. I'm looking for someone to go cycling with. I'm even up for a game of squash (I'm a beginner) - So don't say you've got no options.

Good luck
    Joe, is this Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength?

Both good programs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatelvis:
    Joe, is this Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength?

Both good programs anyway.
    Stronglifts, but recently changed it to 3x5 instead of 5x5. I don't know how to do one of the lifts in starting strength, but I use his videos.

I'm in Tai Kok Tsui and use both the gym at Olympic and Nam Cheong Park. Seems like the park workout would be perfect for you. PM me.

well a combination of diet and exercise for sure,,,, reduce your carb intake,,,,, you will drop loads,,, but eat proteins and exercise to maintain your muscles,,,,,
    DONT GYM CALIFORNIA FITNESS WHAT EVER YOU DO,, JOIN ANOTHER GYM IF AT ALL,,,, but like another suggestion ,,, just do hikes if possible,,, its free and also what you need is a cardio burn,, to burn the fat,,, remember 70% of your goal is what you do with your diet ,,,, 30% is your workout