Like Tree5Likes

everyone is wearing Kinesio tapes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

everyone is wearing Kinesio tapes

So many are wearing them at London. Anyone tried? Might need some myself for hockey. Saw a website in HK that sell them.

Last edited by Editor; 02-08-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

My sister who is a physio therapist showed me how to put them on. Kinesio tapes saved my knees during my first ultra endurance events. I like them more than normal knee supports since they don't chafe after hours in the sun, they stay where they belong and they don't cut of circulation.

Also had it applied when I had a lightly stiff should and still wanted to do Hatha yoga. Worked like a charm.

I used to get my kinesio tape boxes from Sportsline 運動前線 but they changed from Muller KT to Rocktape. Never tried that brand before so can't tell.

I would also recommend it (and the proper Kinesio stuff too, dont just buy any old coloured tape) and a couple of places sell the stuff. I would also just add to what dicesix said on the physio showing you how to apply properly (or doing it for you) as it isn't simply a case of strapping up the injured area any old way.. My physio had to go on a two day "strapping" course to learn the various techniques for different injuries, areas etc.

I found it pretty good when I bust my shoulder playing rugby a couple years ago...could be placebo of course as I'm not totally convinced by the science, but if your medical cover pays, why not.

I have used it a lot in the past. I have used the Kinesiotape brand and Rock Tape with best results. Other cheaper brands are a poor comparison, the adhesive is weak and comes off quickly whereas I've been able to wear Kinesiotape and Rock Tape for 2-4 days. Many healer brands also have latex in the adhesive which some people find irritating with extended wear. I've taken the course from Kinesiotape and it's a very basic concept with strong emphasis on anatomy and proper tension of the tape. Great for proprioceptive feedback, swelling, bruising and light support.

Which physios in HK will apply Kinesio tape and/or show patients how to apply it properly themselves?

They have it at kinesiotaping.hk, they even have the pre-cut version. Have not seem the pre-cut version before, will be easier to use I guess.

dear giant likes this.

I'd say most physios will know or claim to know how to apply KT. You can also look up lots of videos on YouTube but to be able to apply the tapes properly, as MCDC already mentioned, you need some basic understanding of anatomy.

And although I think kinesio tape is a great product, you cannot kinesio tape yourself out of every injury. On many races I've seen quite some people being all wrapped up in tape. At this point I'd dare say seeing a physician or physio and some proper recovery would have been the more sensible choice.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dicesix:
    And although I think kinesio tape is a great product, you cannot kinesio tape yourself out of every injury. On many races I've seen quite some people being all wrapped up in tape. At this point I'd dare say seeing a physician or physio and some proper recovery would have been the more sensible choice.
    I appreciate your concern. Given what seems to be an overwhelming lack of evidence for any significant therapeutic benefit to taping of this sort, though, I'd be going into the experience mostly for laughs and to hear the physio's sales patter.

For me, it would be like to a fortune teller or having foot reflexology work done, but with the benefit of having cool multicolored bits of tape affixed to one's body.

Petertool: The pre-cut tape can be great for quick application but I don't like that it can't be customized to the injured muscle or condition you are trying to help. Also, it often needs to be trimmed to fit because they tend to be too large. Given the above, I never felt it was cost effective and preferred the roll.
    Dicesix is correct about not being able to fix a body full of hurts with this. Kinesiotape is not a cure all, more of a gentle support. And while dear giant feels its all for laughs, it really can be a great tool. The tape causes micro lifting of the skin under the areas its applied to thereby increasing lymphatic drainage. Applying the tape in a spiderweb fashion is great for reducing bruising an swelling (see picture). I've seen bruise reduction like that after 2-3 days of wearing the tape on a fresh bruise
    Edit: can't seem to upload a picture but just google Kinesiotape bruising and you can find plenty of results

Last edited by MCDC; 02-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast