Like Tree86Likes

Lance Armstrong finally busted...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    It's funny now when arguably you have a pretty strong case of doping by Armstrong, yet quite a number of American commentators are now jumping to his defence, saying this doesn't matter..."right"...::

We "don't" care about Armstrong's doping:
    Lance Armstrong ended his fight over doping -- but who really cares? - More Sports - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Armstrong is a martyr:
    Opinion: Lance chooses martyrdom over arbitration - Cycling- NBC Sports

Curious if you compare this to the hysteria and implied accusation in the States over Ye Shiwen's alleged doping (when there is no proof there), aha, some double standard there don't ya think?
    The links you posted are opinion pieces. As we all know here everybody is entitled to their opinion. The USADA went after Armstrong, would you say the USADA's Chinese counterpart would go after an equally high profile Chinese athlete?

"Steroids are as american as apple pie".

From the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster. The hole thing (not only the trailer) is availabe on Youtube.

Last edited by 100LL; 24-08-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Partridge:
    Its not curious at all though is it?

Shiwen was a little known (relatively speaking) swimmer from China. Lance Armstong as arguably one of the most well known sportsmen of his time with a massive PR machine and the whole cancer survivor story. To compare the 2 is ridiculous.
    To deny there is any interesting juxtaposition between those two cases is absurd. Shiwen wasn't that unknown in China. The fact that Armstrong is well known in the West is all the more interesting. No massive PR machine can now so convincingly argue that Armstrong was innocent. Yet they still go on and on about what a great guy Armstrong is. Ha, and among some circles in the Western press, they almost pronounced the guilt of Shiwen already.

Quote Originally Posted by ewankho:
    The links you posted are opinion pieces. As we all know here everybody is entitled to their opinion. The USADA went after Armstrong, would you say the USADA's Chinese counterpart would go after an equally high profile Chinese athlete?
    I doubt it, but that doesn't change my point. And I have yet to hear any American opinion pieces condemning Armstrong.

Have the Chinese gone after high profile Chinese athlete in the same manner as the USADA after Armstrong? I don't recall any cases like that of Armstrong in China. Nevertheless, here we are with much more solid proof on Armstrong yet strangely no huge condemnation of him in the Western press.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 24-08-2012 at 03:23 PM.

At least its out in the open and they are dealing with it. Lots of other sports have laughable doping controls compared to cycling.

Even with the doping scandals, it doesn't seem to be doing the sport any harm?

Sure it is and as I said, many other sports are in bad shape but cycling is not really dealing with it as much as we think.

If they were really dealing with it many more things would have changed in 15 years

They are dealing with it the same way (I chose an outrageous example on purpose) as the americans are dealing with guns.

It's in the open, every now and then there is some sort of action but that is about it.

The problem is no one can really deal with it because the way you deal with this would trigger huge financial losses and they all live (officials..) from cycling..so they ain't going to cut their own branches...

There is too much money in cycling (and in money other sports) to bring doping down.

It's a sad fact but that is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Sure it is and as I said, many other sports are in bad shape but cycling is not really dealing with it as much as we think.

If they were really dealing with it many more things would have changed in 15 years

They are dealing with it the same way (I chose an outrageous example on purpose) as the americans are dealing with guns.

It's in the open, every now and then there is some sort of action but that is about it.

The problem is no one can really deal with it because the way you deal with this would trigger huge financial losses and they all live (officials..) from cycling..so they ain't going to cut their own branches...

There is too much money in cycling (and in money other sports) to bring doping down.

It's a sad fact but that is what it is.
    Lots of opnions in the above - I'd be interested to see the facts to back it up.

Cycling get's some serisously bad press, rightly so at times, but grossly over exaggerated at others. Tell me how its different to say..athletcis or football.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    To deny there is any interesting juxtaposition between those two cases is absurd. Shiwen wasn't that unknown in China. The fact that Armstrong is well known in the West is all the more interesting. No massive PR machine can now so convincingly argue that Armstrong was innocent. Yet they still go on and on about what a great guy Armstrong is. Ha, and among some circles in the Western press, they almost pronounced the guilt of Shiwen already.
    You are seriously claiming that Shiwen was well known in China? I'm not sure how many Chinese swimming enthusiasts you know but I've never met one.
    Last edited by Alan Partridge; 24-08-2012 at 03:31 PM.

keep in mind the press release was from Thursday night, so the UCI may be preparing a statement at the moment...they've back this scumbag up til now, but now with the overwhelming evidence against him, so much so that even he had to fly the white flag, they might change their stance..wait and see...in any event, I would agree that I really don't care where or not they're doping, just don't come across as some white-than-white hero to the people...under current rules, you're just another cheater, Lance (tho a damn good one!)

another reason for the sympathy (or percieved apathy) in the American press and public is that they've backed him and adored him for so long, wouldn't they all look like fools now that he's been exposed? so better to pivot towards his great charity work and victory over cancer, and minimize the gory details of his career of cheating...

Last edited by anothercanuck; 24-08-2012 at 03:34 PM.

You are seriously claiming that Shiwen was well known in China? I'm not sure how many Chinese swimming enthusiasts you know but I've never met one.
    No, not as unknown in China as some claim in the West. In any event, I think it's valid to compare Ye and Armstrong. Sure, their background, fame and sport is different, but that makes a comparison all the more interesting.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 24-08-2012 at 03:35 PM.

I have to wonder how Floyd Landis is feeling at the moment...on the one hand, there must be a lot of satisfaction at seeing Armstrong burn after Landis tried and failed to bring him down...and yet, seeing all the support Armstrong is getting as the fallen hero in the US, while Landis was crucified from the start...that's got to sting...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast