Like Tree10Likes

Anyone interested in taking scuba diving lessons together?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The Brit is absolutely right, I'd want to be where the instructor and I could see each other clearly.

No fricking way would I get my OW here in HK. The instructors do group lessons and as a beginner, any ratio greater than 1-1 is too high. There is an instructor that I know that does the class and pool lessons here and then takes his students to Philippines for the OW dives. That way you have the same instructor throughout. A little more expensive, but you don't waste vacation days in the class room, and you get a great dive vacation out of it. Ken at Sandy Bottom Divers.

I upgraded my scuba diver to OW in HK, and the water visibility was poor. I could barely see my hands while doing the dives, let alone the compass while doing the navigation part, but I hear the water clears up this time of year. The group was large, 6 students split up into 2 teams. Each team would go onto the water with the instructor and take turns practicing, definitely less than ideal. Although not the greatest, I was thinking of doing the AWO in HK as I do not get time off to do any diving elsewhere.

All the basics are taught in the pool so not difference in where you learn, just a matter of convenience. I did both my OW and Advanced in HK and personally didn't think it was so bad, guess it really depends on the DM. Mine was very strict and also attentive.

I have friends who got their PADI at PG and told me how they were getting drunk on the first two, three days and then cramped their training and certification into two days, which to me sounds very lax.

Last edited by Swell; 19-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.

You certainly shouldn't "get drunk" the night before a dive!

Original Post Deleted
    Oops, I do mean instructor, not dive master.

Wherever you learn, please be a diver responsible for your own equipment. I ran a dive centre some years back and was dismayed at the fully-carded PADI divers who expected a complete equipment set-up and carrying of equipment to the water's edge.

Most dived once or twice a year, some didn't dive for years and didn't think they needed an orientation dive. Anyone over 18 months out of the water, we insisted.

It is a sport where you cannot cut corners. The plastic card won't help you breathe underwater and sadly (in my opinion) PADI is more of a marketing organisation than a certifying organisation. If you can find an instructor who does everything by the rules and then some, stick with him/her. I saw too many sign-offs by competitors where we were, without the required teaching/water time.

My ex-partner was a PADI instructor and even worked on the shark nets here. He always thought that someone who had learned in a difficult environment (most UK-qualified who haven't taken their courses overseas are such divers) were better, safer divers because they had to be. Absolutely spot-on re currents and difficult water situations being part of the experience during training. While PADI standards would allow 1:3 ratio for instructor:student, my ex always said, no more than one student per hand!

Go for quality classroom and confined water training, quality open water dive training. Research your choices and if doing classroom/confined in one location, see if they can refer to a dive centre overseas for open water dive training and final certification.

And for those going back into the water after a long gap, give yourself a theory review and ask for an orientation dive for your sake and for your dive partners.

Just my 2 cents.

Really great post Fiona.
    Mr SS and I did a Refresher Course last year after 5 years out of practise. We used to go on several dive trips a year but it was amazing and scary how much we'd forgotten!

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Yea good post.

It's been over 4 years since i qualified and last dived so i wouldnt have a clue what i was doing now.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Really great post Fiona.
    Mr SS and I did a Refresher Course last year after 5 years out of practise. We used to go on several dive trips a year but it was amazing and scary how much we'd forgotten!
    It's really scary the things that happen, SS. Good for you guys doing a refresher, so important.

Oh the stories I could tell!!! 0 mask-clearing skills, putting the bottle on the BCD upside down (and not a fireman!), asking which 'dial' was for the 'oxygen pressure' (on an air tank with a gauge), etc. etc. etc. etc.

Be safe with your bubbles everyone