Like Tree51Likes

Subsidizing golfers?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think we need more sport in HK - but agree with the above that golf is NOT it. It's highly elitist (so of course the HK Government loves it) rather than spending money on something practical that EVERYONE could enjoy. Unlike BE, I think that closing roads for the marathon is much better focussed public money and that more places for practical sports for normal people are the way to go, not elitist crap like this.
    Go spend a day at kau sai chau. There are no elites there, just a bunch of locals enjoying one of the most beautiful public golf courses in the world. Golf is a great game/sport. It is something you can enjoy with friends of all ages, sizes and genders. Your opinions regarding golf are way off base IMO.

closedcasket, I really like golf, and I would love to play it every weekend, but, its one of the most expensive games around. The cost of basic set of decent quality clubs, the rent of even KSC's golf course, the upkeep of golf gear etc...atleast in HK it makes it very expensive, as compare to any other game, such as tennis, badminton, basketball, football or squash.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Go spend a day at kau sai chau. There are no elites there, just a bunch of locals enjoying one of the most beautiful public golf courses in the world. Golf is a great game/sport. It is something you can enjoy with friends of all ages, sizes and genders. Your opinions regarding golf are way off base IMO.
    My parents have played golf for as long as I can remember. I have been forced to watch entire tournaments on the TV. When living in NZ it was hard to drive more than 10km without passing a golf course and many of our clients came to visit us (from HK, Korea, Japan) specifically to combine business with golf because in NZ you could spend NZD25 or less for a game.... not true here! Believe me, i know what I am talking about!

Golf doesn't have to be that expensive here. You can play ksc for about 700 Skycity for 700 and fanling for about 1000. Good used gear/clubs can be found at various websites. I don't consider 700 that expensive for a half a day's worth of entertainment in hong kong.

Golf doesn't have to be that expensive here. You can play ksc for about 700 Skycity for 700 and fanling for about 1000. Good used gear/clubs can be found at various websites. I don't consider 700 that expensive for a half a day's worth of entertainment in hong kong.
    cheap for expats. for someone on minimum wage of 6k a month?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

That's expensive to the the average person who's entire household income is 20K per month.

It's also not an accessible sport for 99% of the population here considering how much space each player needs.

While I agree that putting tax dollars in the pocket of these millionaires is outrageous and I wouldn't pay a dime nor even cross the street to meet them, the latest post is once again pretty typical of a tabloid trash reporter. Many of the golfers there earned money from business ventures and not directly from golf.

One thing I do respect is that for most of them, their pay is directly affected by their performance. There's no hiding behind a bad call from the ref or your team mates not supporting you or whatever BS some of those whining millionaires from many pro sports come up with. In golf and tennis, you are all alone and there's no one to hide behind and if you try to just phone in a performance, you go home with your head between your legs and no money to show for it unless it's a stupid situation like HK where they get appearance fees.

As to claiming golf doesn't have to be expensive here, that's beyond ridiculous. It goes in the same basket as saying that HK properties are affordable. I enjoy playing however I would never claim it's not expensive. There are few sports that are more expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    cheap for expats. for someone on minimum wage of 6k a month?

Wait a minute. Now you are changing the debate. Your first post said that golf was "highly elitist".....now you are talking about people making 6k a month? Of course people that make 6k a month can't afford golf...they likely can't afford much of anything.

My point is that although their are some elite country clubs that cater to the wealthy, the vast majority of golf is played by middle class folks. You can buy a good used set of clubs for cheap online, and than play once a week for less than 3k a month. Middle class folks can and do play golf in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    While I agree that putting tax dollars in the pocket of these millionaires is outrageous and I wouldn't pay a dime nor even cross the street to meet them, the latest post is once again pretty typical of a tabloid trash reporter. Many of the golfers there earned money from business ventures and not directly from golf.

One thing I do respect is that for most of them, their pay is directly affected by their performance. There's no hiding behind a bad call from the ref or your team mates not supporting you or whatever BS some of those whining millionaires from many pro sports come up with. In golf and tennis, you are all alone and there's no one to hide behind and if you try to just phone in a performance, you go home with your head between your legs and no money to show for it unless it's a stupid situation like HK where they get appearance fees.

As to claiming golf doesn't have to be expensive here, that's beyond ridiculous. It goes in the same basket as saying that HK properties are affordable. I enjoy playing however I would never claim it's not expensive. There are few sports that are more expensive...

If you are the best at anything is life, you will get paid well. It doesn't matter whether it is comedy, piano, runnning fast, singing, jumping, playing poker, eating hotdogs or playing golf. Be the BEST, and you will get paid.

Again, expensive is a relative term, but I don't consider $700 that expensive for a round of golf in Hong Kong. You can play golf once a week for less than 3k/month.

If you are the best at anything is life, you will get paid well. It doesn't matter whether it is comedy, piano, runnning fast, singing, jumping, playing poker, eating hotdogs or playing golf. Be the BEST, and you will get paid.

Again, expensive is a relative term, but I don't consider $700 that expensive for a round of golf in Hong Kong. You can play golf once a week for less than 3k/month.
    Best nurse? Best firefighter? Best teacher?

I'm not advocating equal wages for all, but some discrepancies are rather extreme and government subsidies are NOT necessary to make them worse.

jgl and bryant.english like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast