Like Tree14Likes

Folding bike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ditch the backpack and go for a single pannier. Is this for touring?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce foreman:
    I am a big fan of the fold up bike. Small enough to take on a minibus, and regularly take it accross to China to cycle. Most recently cycled through the Fujian tea fields and Roundhouses. Hub gears are the go for flying.
    Hey, do you mind giving some more information about your trip around Fujian? Did you do a tour? What is the area like for cycling (mostly flat? small hills?)? How is the accommodation options? What route did you take? If you don't mind, we could discuss this through PM. (Sorry this is off-topic, just would like to do a little cycling in China this summer.... but now this thread has me considering again buying a fold up bike for myself).

Oh, and speaking of this topic, can anyone confirm if the star ferry allows fold-up bikes? I would love to try it with a bike, but I need to get across the harbour. Also, how are buildings/management about keeping a fold up bike outside one's door in the apartment hallway? We keep our shoes there at the moment and no complaints -- but would this be pushing it too far if I squeezed a bike there? Is there somewhere where I could rent a fold up bike for a couple of weeks to give it a try and decide if it would work for commuting?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce foreman:
    Ditch the backpack and go for a single pannier. Is this for touring?
    No, just for general riding. I like backpacks because I can take them with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Oh, and speaking of this topic, can anyone confirm if the star ferry allows fold-up bikes? I would love to try it with a bike, but I need to get across the harbour.
    Bikes are allowed on the Wanchai to TST ferry: http://www.starferry.com.hk/199.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Bikes are allowed on the Wanchai to TST ferry: http://www.starferry.com.hk/199.html
    I would need it for the Central one, not Wan Chai...

You can't take bikes on the Central to TST ferry; the maximum luggage size is 40cm x 40cm x 17.5cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Oh, and speaking of this topic, can anyone confirm if the star ferry allows fold-up bikes? I would love to try it with a bike, but I need to get across the harbour. Also, how are buildings/management about keeping a fold up bike outside one's door in the apartment hallway? We keep our shoes there at the moment and no complaints -- but would this be pushing it too far if I squeezed a bike there? Is there somewhere where I could rent a fold up bike for a couple of weeks to give it a try and decide if it would work for commuting?
    If you get a folder that's small enough to fit into an inconspicuous bag, you could probably take it anywhere. A brompton is still bigger than the max luggage size above, but I doubt the ferry staff would care as long as it didn't look like a bike.

http://www.brompton.co.uk/our-bikes/...pton-bag-b-bag

Regarding keeping it in the hallway, it would depend on how lax building management is. However it would be taking the piss in many buildings and also possibly be a tempting target for theft.

I have never heard of folding bike rental (and most rental bikes are at the crap end of the bike spectrum anyway). You could buy a secondhand one off 28bike and resell it if you don't like it.
    Last edited by jgl; 03-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    shri and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    You can't take bikes on the Central to TST ferry; the maximum luggage size is 40cm x 40cm x 17.5cm.
    some time may have passed but, when I was there, my little khs f20-r made it onto the ferry with zero complaints from the staff except from them wanting me to fold it up, before wheeling it onto the boat.

I'm reviving this thread because I am interested in getting a nice fold up bike. One that when folded, can be rolled like a trolley.

I was deciding between the Brompton, Tern and Birdy. Each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages. In the end I went with the Birdy.

After reading up on these, now I'm tempted to upgrade the Dahons (family bikes) for one of these. loll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast