Like Tree14Likes

Folding bike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Folding bike

I'm considering ditching the mountain bike for one of these folding bikes but was wondering what folks thought of them.

Firstly, what's the handling like?
    - My rides would include quite a steep hill and I was wondering if these bikes get excessively wobbly at high speeds
    - I don't think I could live without front suspension. Is it worth the extra weight?
    So, can anyone recommend a good lightweight model that handles well?

By the way, can you take folding bikes on the KCR and buses? I think you have to take the front wheel off for MBs. I wonder if the weight limit for our northern neighbours has also affected taking folding bikes on the train?

Thanks... look forward to some feedback.

I've had a folding bike for about 4 years now. it has been regularly ridden in both Hong Kong and Sydney. Model I have is a KHS f20r bought from Chat Kee cycles in Wan Chai.

Aat first the bike did seem a bit twitchy compared to an MTB and standing climbs were difficult probably given that I am a tad tall for the bike.

That said climbing is a lot easier than a full sized bike given the small wheels. And I have done the hill on brides pool road with it.

Speed wise I have done 40 kmh going down hill on Oxford Street Sydney in traffic, so no wobble.

The bike does not have full suspension but does have a soft tail.

I got the bike to use on the KCR which allowed the back in 2011. Buses dont know but taxis were fine. for full size the unwritten rule is one wheel off for full size bikes on the trains. Star Ferry from Central only allowed fold ups.

mrsmith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmith:
    I'm considering ditching the mountain bike for one of these folding bikes but was wondering what folks thought of them.

Firstly, what's the handling like?
    - My rides would include quite a steep hill and I was wondering if these bikes get excessively wobbly at high speeds
    - I don't think I could live without front suspension. Is it worth the extra weight?
    So, can anyone recommend a good lightweight model that handles well?

By the way, can you take folding bikes on the KCR and buses? I think you have to take the front wheel off for MBs. I wonder if the weight limit for our northern neighbours has also affected taking folding bikes on the train?

Thanks... look forward to some feedback.
    kcr/mtr east rail weight limit is 23kg, even the most cheapest and heavest (china brands) won't be more than 18kgs, decent ones will be less than 11kg ones, ironically, some lifestyle strollers are as heavy as 17kg ( not even versilatile or mobile due to weight but sells due image and looks), so kcr/mtr east rail can restrict the weight limit too much (reduce from 32kg which is almost the same as 3 cartons x tins of milk powder)
    mrsmith likes this.

mrsmith likes this.

I had to make the same decision last year. In the end, I bought a Montague full size folding mountain bike which I'm really happy with. In case you're interested, Montague bikes are stocked by the Flying Ball bike shop in Kowloon which is where I got mine from.

I am a big fan of the fold up bike. Small enough to take on a minibus, and regularly take it accross to China to cycle. Most recently cycled through the Fujian tea fields and Roundhouses. Hub gears are the go for flying.

INXS likes this.

Small wheels are more nimble. I recommend a Brompton. This is a British hand made folding bike. A little bit pricey but you will feel the quality. And its a cool looking bike if u opt not to have the mud guards. It puts a smile on my face everytime I go for a ride!!

chris_yang22 and dossier like this.

I have a Brompton two speed with S type handle bars minus the mudguards. It weighs around 11kg.

Damn I miss my bikes!

Elegiaque likes this.

I want a folding bike with 26" wheels, but my concern is that with a backpack, I'm dangerously close to maximum weight for the Dahons and Montague/Paratrooper...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast