Like Tree18Likes

Fitness Culture in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Fitness Culture in Hong Kong

Hello Everyone,

I was born in HK and raised in Canada. During my time in Canada, I’ve visited HK many times and love this city.

About a year ago I moved back here full-time and noticed an increase in the fitness culture. Please let me know if you disagree, but despite the existing franchise gyms (Pure, Fitness First, California, etc.) there seems to be an increase in fitness groups (outdoor circuits, cross fit, TRX, yoga, etc.) and fitness awareness. Agree? I’d like to think so because it would be great for the general Hong Kong population to collectively become more active and live healthy lifestyle.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Eh? Well, I guess anything is an increase if the baseline is practically zero.

I've been more impressed with the fitness culture amongst the grandpas and grandmas that make it out to do gentle excercise at 6am- that's something that you don't see much of in other places.

Ditto jgl on the older generation of locals ( and some westerners, I have noticed joining in) getting up early, or even during the day to take part in tai chi, fan dancing or walking, hiking. When I lived in the midlevels , I used to hike up the Peak every day, and I would see the usual oldies make it up in no time. One fellow took his radio with. Another guy I spoke to admitted he was almost 80 and even if he was going at it slower than he was ten years ago, he was still walking every day.

Despite the pollution and a culture that centers mostly around eating out, or just plain eating, it's no wonder HKers are living longer than their Asian counterparts.

I'm impressed with the large number of people out on the cycle paths (mostly the weekends!) in the New Territories. HK might not be cycle commute friendly..but the cycle paths are great. I've definitely seen an increase over the years

Last edited by kt24; 04-02-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Again, its the NTs where it all happens...the hiking trails can be busy on weekends...lots of cycling and jogging.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using GeoClicks Mobile

Is it that you have changed Arnz? Perhaps it was always like that but you just didn't notice before?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnz:
    Hello Everyone,

I was born in HK and raised in Canada. During my time in Canada, I’ve visited HK many times and love this city.

About a year ago I moved back here full-time and noticed an increase in the fitness culture. Please let me know if you disagree, but despite the existing franchise gyms (Pure, Fitness First, California, etc.) there seems to be an increase in fitness groups (outdoor circuits, cross fit, TRX, yoga, etc.) and fitness awareness. Agree? I’d like to think so because it would be great for the general Hong Kong population to collectively become more active and live healthy lifestyle.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    What I find odd is the tennis scene. Of all sports available, why is tennis so prevalent? That never really made sense to me.

The other event is marathon. I was glad to not have to run laps after high school. To think people would voluntarily run marathon is a little weird. Why do people even run long hours? Short term fitness for permanent damage to their joint cartilage... and it's not even fun.

I think if you were to break down on what motivates people to do more sports, the main factor is probably to lose weight. Perhaps people are just more aware they're gaining more weight than what they're comfortable with so they look for ways to stay fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    What I find odd is the tennis scene. Of all sports available, why is tennis so prevalent? That never really made sense to me.

The other event is marathon. I was glad to not have to run laps after high school. To think people would voluntarily run marathon is a little weird. Why do people even run long hours? Short term fitness for permanent damage to their joint cartilage... and it's not even fun.

I think if you were to break down on what motivates people to do more sports, the main factor is probably to lose weight. Perhaps people are just more aware they're gaining more weight than what they're comfortable with so they look for ways to stay fit.

Running is great for weight loss and strengthens ligaments around your knees. It has a net benefit for joints. In addition it benefits your cardiovascular health and has been proven to reduce many disease risks (cancer).

I run because of how great it feels during and afterwards. While many of friends go for pharmaceutical drugs or "happy hours" to help cope with stress.....I run. Running is a great stress reducer and helps me deal with anxiety.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Running is great for weight loss and strengthens ligaments around your knees. It has a net benefit for joints. In addition it benefits your cardiovascular health and has been proven to reduce many disease risks (cancer).
    Switch sports before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:

Might the tennis have something to do with it being a former British colony?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast