Like Tree3Likes

Looking for 'real' personal trainer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for 'real' personal trainer

Hey

I have been through a few personal trainers lately and I'm not too sure about your opinions but I think they are just money grabbing "trainers" that don't really know their stuff.

For example in the UK I pay a personal trainer. First thing he does is ask what are my goals. Then he assesses my posture, muscle balance, upper+lower body differentials and puts me through a tailored training scheme. He also know his sports science stuff e.g. Having a perfectly balanced body is the key to gains + growth. He even spent some time explaining how the dead lift scientifically worked which led to me doing them correctly.

In Hong Kong, it seems like all they know is (do this exercise and these muscles will grow). Nothing else....

Any solid recommendations?

Thanks in advanced

I know the feeling. I've tried 2 trainers in HK and been very disappointed compared to my former UK trainer. I used to row at an international level and I'm a qualified gym instructor so I'm very picky about trainers....if I'm paying my hard earned cash, I expect them to know a lot more than I do. That's what I'm paying for!!

In London I used to train with Ultimate Performance in Shoreditch. I did a lot of research (because I'm so picky) before choosing them and they surpassed my expectations. They are AMAZING! I was gutted when I left the UK and could no longer train with them. I am now fat, weak and unfit....the unhealthy HK lifestyle has taken over.

But there's good news! Ultimate Performance are opening in HK later this month / early April. I've already signed up (they're currently offering pre-opening discounts). They're not cheap. In fact, they're damn expensive. BUT you do get what you pay for. If you want results and you want to be pushed hard by guys who are at the top of their game, these are the people to go to.

Apologies if this sounds like an advert. It isn't I promise. I just think these guys are brilliant and I'm really excited they're coming to HK. I've trained most of my adult life and always pushed myself hard and got results but UP helped me get to a whole new level. Happy to give more info via PM.

Check out their HK website: http://www.upfitness.com/hk/offer/

Or their UK (which is more established so more info): http://upfitness.co.uk/

They're also on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I know the feeling. I've tried 2 trainers in HK and been very disappointed compared to my former UK trainer. I used to row at an international level and I'm a qualified gym instructor so I'm very picky about trainers....if I'm paying my hard earned cash, I expect them to know a lot more than I do. That's what I'm paying for!!

In London I used to train with Ultimate Performance in Shoreditch. I did a lot of research (because I'm so picky) before choosing them and they surpassed my expectations. They are AMAZING! I was gutted when I left the UK and could no longer train with them. I am now fat, weak and unfit....the unhealthy HK lifestyle has taken over.

But there's good news! Ultimate Performance are opening in HK later this month / early April. I've already signed up (they're currently offering pre-opening discounts). They're not cheap. In fact, they're damn expensive. BUT you do get what you pay for. If you want results and you want to be pushed hard by guys who are at the top of their game, these are the people to go to.

Apologies if this sounds like an advert. It isn't I promise. I just think these guys are brilliant and I'm really excited they're coming to HK. I've trained most of my adult life and always pushed myself hard and got results but UP helped me get to a whole new level. Happy to give more info via PM.

Check out their HK website: http://www.upfitness.com/hk/offer/

Or their UK (which is more established so more info): http://upfitness.co.uk/

They're also on Facebook.
    Oh wow I have never heard about them but just checking out the links now put a HUGE smile on my face. Being expensive is one thing but bring value for money is another.

I paid $900 to various trainers in Hong Kong to find out they are just a bunch ordinary people that want to make a few bucks. Going on YouTube and following a few meat heads taught me WAY MORE than these guys would ever do. If I was to pay £85 an hour for a trainer, I expect him/her to have a PHD sports science and years of experience.

I have signed up myself and definitely going to check it out.

Not many people online make my day but you somehow did haha.

Thanks again!
    bibbju likes this.

Not sure this is just a Hong Kong thing... maybe people just know what to avoid in the UK, US or wherever. In the UK I was qualified to a high standard in fitness training and not one day went by without witnessing a poor, inappropriate, arrogant or idiotic trainer.

Best advice is to see if anyone can recommend someone in your area, unfortunately I have not suggestions.

Good luck with the training.

I paid $900 to various trainers in Hong Kong to find out they are just a bunch ordinary people that want to make a few bucks. Going on YouTube and following a few meat heads taught me WAY MORE than these guys would ever do. If I was to pay £85 an hour for a trainer, I expect him/her to have a PHD sports science and years of experience.
    I have been training with Alex McQueen ( http://www.eliteptstudio.com/trainers/ ) over at Elite Personal trainers ( http://www.eliteptstudio.com/ ) for the last 4-5 months. Primary focus for these last few months has been on strengthening my back and knees - which have been very problematic for me.

Alex has been phenomenal as far as I'm concerned - as he knows his stuff. More importantly he works with several other people (male and female) I know personally who are in their mid 40s-50s and not been focused on staying fit or maintaining a high level of fitness in the past.

His brother is involved with Coastal Fitness ( http://www.coastalfitnesshk.com/meet...m/tom-mcqueen/ )

Have gone from being able to barely lift 20-30lbs because of my dodgy back to being able to do 120lb deadlifts and 100-120lb squats. Fitness level has VASTLY improved.

Next few months will be focused on getting stronger and also an increased focus on cardio, as the eventual goal is to loose about 20Kgs from when I started.

There are several good trainers out there, you're just not going to find them at the chain gyms like Pure / California etc, as those are fairly mass market with members who would really not pay the premiums required for a good trainers.
    Last edited by shri; 10-03-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Khema likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I have been training with Alex McQueen ( http://www.eliteptstudio.com/trainers/ ) over at Elite Personal trainers ( http://www.eliteptstudio.com/ ) for the last 4-5 months. Primary focus for these last few months has been on strengthening my back and knees - which have been very problematic for me.

Alex has been phenomenal as far as I'm concerned - as he knows his stuff. More importantly he works with several other people (male and female) I know personally who are in their mid 40s-50s and not been focused on staying fit or maintaining a high level of fitness in the past.

His brother is involved with Coastal Fitness ( http://www.coastalfitnesshk.com/meet...m/tom-mcqueen/ )

Have gone from being able to barely lift 20-30lbs because of my dodgy back to being able to do 120lb deadlifts and 100-120lb squats. Fitness level has VASTLY improved.

Next few months will be focused on getting stronger and also an increased focus on cardio, as the eventual goal is to loose about 20Kgs from when I started.

There are several good trainers out there, you're just not going to find them at the chain gyms like Pure / California etc, as those are fairly mass market with members who would really not pay the premiums required for a good trainers.
    Well you say members at gyms are not willing to pay the "premium" for good trainers but places like PURE are asking $900 an hour. It seems like people are willing to pay, but lack total knowledge of what they could expect from a decent trainer.

You said you can now dead lift and squat better which most people in the bodybuilding community would say are the 2 most important compound exercises. Personal trainers at my gym dont encourage it at all.

Kind of sets the standards dont it?

thanks for the info

Sorry, was not aware that Pure charged 900 / hour. I am paying less.

I just assumed that it would be less, given the number of posts we see where people are trying to bargain $50 off their monthly dues. May be I'm mixing up Pure with California ...

Most of my work at the moment with Alex has been "remedial" as I certainly do not qualify for any fitness awards. My sessions revolve around squats, lunges, pull ups, push ups, pull downs, nordic hamstring, core work, dead lifts, bench presses mixed in with a few cardio circuits. No fancy equipment and I prefer it that way.

VERY long way to go...

Last edited by shri; 10-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Wow I think i see a common trend here. I'm a level 3 personal trainer here in the uk and when I was over in HK for a holiday I used a few gyms and couldn't believe the poor quality of so called "personal trainers" out there so no wonder UP are branching out to HK. Big market. Maybe I should move back out to HK

bibbju likes this.

Ps also ways to pick a good PT is talk/look at there current clients, watch how they PT their clients and what their background/specialities are.

I mentioned about the teaching scenes here many times already.

It all made perfect sense when I went through the process of getting a cert in a specific (jumping related) sport here in HK. Basically, they have these masters degree guys teach you half the course in different aspects of sports science (I recognize they're merely ripping off slides from their own prof), and the other half, with a guy who pretends to teach you, but since he needed to build relation with the seniors, he doesn't actually have the time to teach us. By the end of 3 months, you do a written test from the guys there who basically gives you 80% of the answers. And a 2 minutes 'test' just to get things over with. Congratulations. you've become a 'coach'.

As I have a frame of reference to compare, they really left me feeling like i know sh*t. Half the people who also got the cert have never done the sport before while the other half who does the sport for many years still messes up the basics when performing. Out of 20, there's only like 2 whom I can say is qualified to take the teaching course as they're able to perform it. Not even I should be there IMO.

The guy who was teaching us actually had good intent and thought he wasn't able to really cover much in 3 months, so he made a DVD, recorded all the students he has had and the practices they do, and was about to hand it to us students. Then what happens? The top guy who brought together the course who partners with the HK government, intervened and kept the DVD for himself. He said he has to copyright it for himself as the course was set up by him.

So if you want access to watch the DVD, you have to have good relation with the top guy. Can't bring it home to copy can't do anything. If you want access, you gotta listen to what they say.

Shameful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast