Like Tree3Likes

Bodybuilders/athletes/powerlifters...what do YOU eat for cheap protein in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bodybuilders/athletes/powerlifters...what do YOU eat for cheap protein in Hong Kong?

What are some cheap sources of protein in Hong Kong? Chicken is bigger and less expensive in the states, it just isn't the same in Hong Kong.

What do you eat for cheap protein in HK apart from whey supplements?

Chicken (I like the frozen skinless thighs, the cheap frozen breasts here are terrible)
    Steak (OK not so cheap)
    Eggs
    Pork chops (quite fatty but cheap and tasty if cooked right)
    Mince (pick some beef in a wet market and ask them to mince it)
    You can also buy some soya based dried mince in the Indian shops. Very, very cheap and high in protein / low in fat.

There are some threads on frozen meat shops if you have a search on the site.

Last edited by justjoe86; 17-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Fatelvis likes this.

Eggs (ie. 6 whites 1 whole egg)
    Chicken breasts from places like tenderloin.com.hk
    "Locally slaughtered minced beef" from Taste (lean)
    Shrimps
    Fish
    Cottage cheese (not cheap)
    Steak (not cheap)

Hungry.

rickyross likes this.

Eat the yolkssssss! They're the best bit!

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I do eat the yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    You can also buy some soya based dried mince in the Indian shops. Very, very cheap and high in protein / low in fat.

There are some threads on frozen meat shops if you have a search on the site.
    Can I have some more details please? Do I just ask for "soya mince" from the indian shops?

Trying to remember the name.. it's in a yellow packet I think. Rectangular box. If I remember I'll update this thread.

Edit: I remember now. It's called nutrela. Nutritionally it's great but to make it taste good isn't quite as easy as using real meat!

Last edited by justjoe86; 17-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Veggies like spinach, kale and broccoli have more than 40% protein which is more than meat and a lot cheaper.

But wouldn't you have to eat a lot of spinach or kale to get the same amount of protein as in a single egg white? I can't imagine its 40% by weight.

Soy/Tofu may be another cheap source of protein in HK if you like it.

Last edited by 100LL; 18-03-2013 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    But wouldn't you have to eat a lot of spinach or kale to get the same amount of protein as in a single egg white? I can't imagine its 40% by weight.

Soy/Tofu may be another cheap source of protein in HK if you like it.
    You're probably right especially once the water is added after cooking. Still, spinach is great food!

Definitely, I love spinach! Miss creamed spinach, wouldn't even mind the one from the freezer.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast