Mountain biking in NT/Lantau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mountain biking in NT/Lantau

Hi,
    Anyone has some suggestions for where I can rent a couple of good mountain bikes for a day for some biking in either NT or Lantau...
    Would really appreciate some pointers...
    Regards,
    ST

duk

Off Mui Wo, (u can catch a ferry from Central Pier 6 i think).
    Once off the ferry, do a left, towards Macdonalds and head towards the street behind it. There's a shop called the Friendly Bike Shop, it used to be just around the corner a bit, but i heard they moved further down the street, (probs opposite the Wellcome supermarket).
    Bikes can be rented for approx $160 a day. The guy Jacky, should then be able to point to you where the trail is, which is not far.

Be aware that strictly you can only ride on the designated mountain biking trails, and that you need a permit to do so. Details here.

Mountain Biking

Hi PDLM, Duk,
    Many thanks for your help. Followed Duk's suggestion for the trail in Mui Wo...was an amazing experience, except for a very wet and completely useless mobile phone which came out of my back pack at the end of it

Again, many thanks...
    Any suggestions if we can also rent a bike somewhere on the HK island itself....would love to do the trails here as well..some of the views are just amazing....

Try Dragon's Back trail in Shek O area:
    HKMBA - Riding?in?HK Trail Location Map

There's a bike rental shop OCCASIONALLY open for biz during weekend. Biking on the HKIsland side is very limited.

duk

Silkentouch, good to hear you enjoyed the trail, did you make it all the way around?
    How did you find the trail?
    BTW the Dragon's back trail, as rkhl suggested, would most likely have a fair bit of hikers at this time of the season as opposed to Mui Wo which i guess would be hard to find.

rkhl: just wondering, where is that rental shop in HK?

The bike rental shop was a few minutes away from the Shek O bus terminal. I don't know if it is still in business. And it is quite a long ride uphill back to the Dragon's Back trail start, not necessary a fun ride for weekend warriors.

Hubby & I are coming to HK in September for 3 weeks. Staying one week in Mui Wo (for research on our retirement) and then 2 weeks in Causeway Bay.

I love the idea of renting a bicycle for a day while we are in Mui Wo but hubby thinks they will want to hold our passports in lieu and there is NO WAY I am leaving my passport with anyone.

Does anyone know if this is ture with Friendly's?

Quote Originally Posted by BettyInToronto
    there is NO WAY I am leaving my passport with anyone.

I'm curious as to what terrible thing you feel may happen by leaving your passport with someone?

But anyway, this being Hong Kong, cash talks. If you leave them a deposit of enough cash to cover the cost of replacing the bikes then I'm sure they'll be happy to rent you them for the day.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by BettyInToronto
    Hubby & I are coming to HK in September for 3 weeks. Staying one week in Mui Wo (for research on our retirement) and then 2 weeks in Causeway Bay.

I love the idea of renting a bicycle for a day while we are in Mui Wo but hubby thinks they will want to hold our passports in lieu and there is NO WAY I am leaving my passport with anyone.

Friendly will certainly *not* ask for a passport. I've taken people there to hire bikes several times. They'll probably take your credit card details if they don't know you.

Also, if you just want a bike to ride around the villages, hire cost will be less than the figure mentioned above. It's the front suspension mountain bikes that cost more to hire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast