Like Tree49Likes

Note to TVB Clowns....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Minority event? Its Hong Kong's biggest sporting event.
    And still a minority sport. Giving up two and a half full days of TV schedule for a sport that is of interest to a minority of viewers is quite a big deal. I am sure HSBC and Cathay helped, erm, influence the decision.

By the way, from what I could see on the TV (and based on ticket sales), the majority of the audience for HK's biggest sporting event were expats (a lot of international school kids it seems) and tourists. It is of zero relevance to most people in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    And still a minority sport. Giving up two and a half full days of TV schedule for a sport that is of interest to a minority of viewers is quite a big deal. I am sure HSBC and Cathay helped, erm, influence the decision.

By the way, from what I could see on the TV (and based on ticket sales), the majority of the audience for HK's biggest sporting event were expats (a lot of international school kids it seems) and tourists. It is of zero relevance to most people in HK.
    Got any proof?

Even if no locals went to watch it (given the ticket prices and their average income) one would expect that they might like to watch on TV, which is the point of this thread.

And anything that brings tourists into HK is certainly of relevance to locals - at least any in the food and beverage, hotel, and other tourist industries! You don't need to like rugby to appreciate the benefit of more tourists (from perhaps a wider range of countries than the "normal" HK tourist these days....)

papaya and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Got any proof?
    for what - that it is a minority sport or that most people at the event were expats and tourists?

for the first one, in terms of participation, see page 9 of pdf below. Rugby doesn't even make the list. This is from 2008 but is most recent study I could find. I doubt rugby participation has increased massively since then.

In terms of passive enjoyment of sport, I have nothing at hand, but common sense says that Rugby is minority spectator sport in Hong Kong.

For the second one, I don't need proof. It was an observation (Read again. Carefully this time). You got any proof my observation was wrong?

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/specials/spor...r_082009_e.pdf

In HK, all sports are minority sports :-)

MovingIn07, bdw, INXS and 1 others like this.

I think it's fair to say that the Sevens target market isn't the local chinese however it is one of the most prominent event held in the territory in terms of revenue.

It is a pretty big boob to do what they did on TV however I still think it's really funny and to think that it really matters is even funnier.

Interestingly enough, the HK XV women's team has a majority of chinese/asian ladies on it...

Was it on any of the chinese channels or only on Pearl? I don't have a TV so I have no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    ...the majority of the audience for HK's biggest sporting event were expats (a lot of international school kids it seems) and tourists.
    You forgot the toddlers - lots and lots of happy toddlers
    It is of zero relevance to most people in HK.
    True but I would think it does rank up there in terms of toursim and economic activity. It fills many hotels, bars, restaurants for a whole week or so.

I do wonder how it ranks to/with visits of big US ships in terms of economic activity generated...
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Let's cut-to-the-chase. The sevens is a minority event in that it appeals mostly to expats/foreigners. They are by definition "minorities" in Hong Kong. Locals by and large are fairly indifferent to rugby and the sevens event. It is a major event in that it may bring economic benefits to the city as a whole. It certainly doesn't hurt the tourism and retail industry here. But how much of a benefit is open to question.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    You forgot the toddlers - lots and lots of happy toddlers
    True but I would think it does rank up there in terms of toursim and economic activity. It fills many hotels, bars, restaurants for a whole week or so.

I do wonder how it ranks to/with visits of big US ships in terms of economic activity generated...
    all fair points but not what I was arguing against. In fact, I forgot what I was arguing againtst Oh yes, that rugby isn't a minority sport.

Can't deny the importance of the seven's event, but here is some food for thought: the other year when Australia and NZ played a competitive match in HK (arguably two of the best rugby teams in the world) the stadium did not sell out (only 26k if I remember).

This year Manchester United (one of the best football teams in the world) come to play in a friendly/training game and tickets sold out in an hour. Rugby really the game for Hong Kong people?
    Last edited by shenwen; 25-03-2013 at 04:06 PM.

also read something in the scmp today with one of the HK rugby bosses saying rugby was the number one sport for kid's participation in HK. But his figure of 4000 plus seems awfully small for a city this size and I cannot believe that organised basketball, volleyball (for the girls) and football get lower numbers. More likely it was another example of the HK expat bubble

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast