Like Tree49Likes

Note to TVB Clowns....

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Only a few generations ago, entertainers made wages that were in line with their importance. How is it possible that a joker that kicks a ball, throws punches, sings songs, plays guitar or dress up as a soldier for a movie will make insane amounts of money for a few minutes of entertainment.

It boggles my mind that doctors, teachers, architects, lawyers or engineers will not make in their lifetime what many of these people make in one year. Study all your life and save lives and you make less than a clown who can hit a golf ball really well or run 100m really fast. Absolutely brilliant... And then the same jokers go on strike because they feel exploited. What a world we live in...

gilles the answer to that question is - because they entertain people...they are like big businessmen who provide a product to millions of people and make money and get rich.
    Their product is their skill to make people go through a range of emotions, whether its due to some sport or through a movie. These "jokers" are infact running & supporting a mammoth industry that provides for many people who otherwise can't get a job of legal clerk, or compounder/orderly, or whatever...
    So these sports or film celebreties get obscene amount of money because.... they can.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    gilles the answer to that question is - because they entertain people...they are like big businessmen who provide a product to millions of people and make money and get rich.
    Their product is their skill to make people go through a range of emotions, whether its due to some sport or through a movie. These "jokers" are infact running & supporting a mammoth industry that provides for many people who otherwise can't get a job of legal clerk, or compounder/orderly, or whatever...
    So these sports or film celebreties get obscene amount of money because.... they can.
    Good point. Love them or hate them, sports people and celebrities provide a collective outlet for social pressure and frustration. Their service, in the form of entertainment, helps ease fraught nerves. They channel people's emotions to rooting for them (or loathing them). That has always been a crucial function of professional spectator sports and the film entertainment industry. Sure, we still get crime or political revolts every now and then, but the idea is that these social upheaval would occur even more often if it weren't for sport events.

Or if you want to look at it negatively, spectator events help divert people's attention from other relevant issues that the political leadership wants to hide/keep quiet about. Keep people's energy and passion fulfilled with harmless diversions, and mold their allegiance and identity to serve the state without these people even knowing it.

Also the average career of a professional sports person lasts probably around 15 years at the top of their game. Most other careers will last until retirement age.

If these people don't have some form of fall back plan within their industry, be it sports media or coaching then what they earn whilst they compete may have to last them the rest of their lives otherwise they start from the bottom of a new industry. Don't forget it's only the best of the best that get paid obscene money. Many athletes and professional sports players aren't on much more than your average doctor or lawyer.

The average career of most professional athletes is much much shorter than 15 years... What puzzles me is the for centuries, entertainers were in my opinion valued the way they should be valued. It's only in the last few decades that the wheels have truly fallen off.

Furthermore, the lure of so much money has corrupted many and often has a negative impact on young people's choices. They are prepared to gamble their future(and often their health) on the off chance they might make it big. That's one thing I respect from many asian parents, they give very little value to their children becoming entertainers so these kinds of dreams are not unduly fed. They are far more pragmatic...

I certainly don't blame the entertainers...Who would be stupid enough to turn down millions to play games, roles or sing songs. It is however unfortunate that because of the money they are offered, many of them think themselves important while in the grand scheme of things, they are not much more than a game of Candy Crush...

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    Even so, the news it cut to was of significance. far more important to most people in HK than whether Fiji would win a rugby tournament.
    Of course, "most people in HK" were not Pearl's target audience that evening...

I noticed that Pearl had broadcast some sort of message at the bottom of the screen at least twice before cutting off the rugby, but it was too small for me to read in the restaurant where I was watching. In most places in the Western world, that message would have been notifying any "regular viewers" of the following program that their program was, unfortunately, being delayed by a few minutes.

Will anyone get sacked, or at least do the honourable thing and commit seppuku?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    Of course, "most people in HK" were not Pearl's target audience that evening...

I noticed that Pearl had broadcast some sort of message at the bottom of the screen at least twice before cutting off the rugby, but it was too small for me to read in the restaurant where I was watching. In most places in the Western world, that message would have been notifying any "regular viewers" of the following program that their program was, unfortunately, being delayed by a few minutes.

Will anyone get sacked, or at least do the honourable thing and commit seppuku?
    Has anyone made a complaint? I mean, not whinging on the boards but actually formal written to them or something? While it might not be as much fun, if they got a few thousand letters the next day they might, just might, realize it was a bad decision!

Yes, I did, using the "complaint" form on the contact us page of their website, and I got a reply which said pretty much what you'd expect.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 27-03-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Yes, I did, using the "complaint" form on the contact us page of their website, and I got a reply which said pretty much what you'd expect.
    Yes, I highly doubt any complaints will make much of a difference. TVB has all along adopt a "I-don't-give-a-shit" attitude to it's English channel. Since there is really no alternative for local free-to-air English channels, TVB thinks they can do whatever the hell they like.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.

That's a little unfair... for what it's worth, this is the text of the reply. I can't see what more they could do after the event:

Dear Mr Gruntfuttock

Thank you for your email of 24 March 2013 commenting on the broadcasting arrangements of “Cathay Pacific/ HSBC Hong Kong Sevens 2013” on Pearl.

We fully understand your disappointment for not being able to watch the entire match live on Pearl and wish to extend our sincere apologies on the matter.

Due to injuries and other time lapses, the event which was originally scheduled to end at 7:25pm, was overrun. The station telecast until the very last second before making way for ‘News At Seven-Thirty’. Our commentators suggested viewers to go to myTV or use myTV mobile app to continue watching the live broadcast of the Cup Final. Information of the relevant website and mobile app was also provided on screen. In the Sports News item in ‘News At Seven-Thirty’, the news anchors sincerely apologized for breaking into the game for the beginning of the News. Final result of the Cup Final was announced with the highlight footage. At 8pm right after the “News at Seven-Thirty”, a mini-programme was arranged to provide a wrap-up on the result of Cup Final and the Cup Presentation.

We are aware that the broadcasting arrangement might not be the best arrangement and we would review the situation for our coverage in future. Please be assured we are committed to improving our service to our viewers.

Once again, we thank you for your taking time to write to us and look forward to your continued support.

Yours sincerely

Corporate & Community Relations Department
    Television Broadcasts Limited
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 27-03-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast