Like Tree19Likes

netbooks?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Just installed EasyPeasy Linux on the old EEE. Seemed to be running not too bad, for something that is several years old.

Bed time now.
    I'll try the same in a couple of weeks- both Win XP and Win7 have proven to be complete shite on the Acer and I doubt it'd even be worth trying to sell secondhand. Was going to go with a standard Ubuntu install but this option looks handier.

Let us know how it works out over time.
    Last edited by jgl; 06-05-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    I know you're right. All this tells me is that most Netbooks were being used for personal, rather than business functions.

There are tablets on the market that could replace my Netbook but at over 7k, why would I bother until the Sammy gives up or there is too enough compatibility pressure to compel me to upgrade to Windows 8?

Anyone who wants to revive their old netbook, this article from Lifehacker that was posted today may be of use:

http://lifehacker.com/what-should-i-...ptop-493108508

From my very quick experience yesterday I found using a lightweight Linux OS the best way to go.

Since I got my Asus zenbook I have hardly used my pad.

Pads are a fad to me.

Once I upgrade to a Note 3 I see no need for a pad.

Sent from somewhere....

Stick Linux Mint on your old netbook if you want to make it more usable. Works on my Samsung no faffung required, even screen brightness controls etc.

Have tried various form factors over the last few years...next purchase is probably going to be an 8-10" windows 8 pro clover trail/bay trail tablet.

Last edited by mid_gen; 07-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'll try the same in a couple of weeks- both Win XP and Win7 have proven to be complete shite on the Acer and I doubt it'd even be worth trying to sell secondhand. Was going to go with a standard Ubuntu install but this option looks handier.

Let us know how it works out over time.
    I have OpenSuse on my little Dell, the GUI is quite similar to Win 7 and seems to run ok.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Since I got my Asus zenbook I have hardly used my pad.

Pads are a fad to me.
    Just pointing out that your Zenbook is several orders of magnitude ahead of the netbooks everyone else is talking about here. i5/i7 ultrabook vs hamster-powered Atoms

Though if this is anything to go by, maybe Atoms will get more usable for Windows next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Just pointing out that your Zenbook is several orders of magnitude ahead of the netbooks everyone else is talking about here. i5/i7 ultrabook vs hamster-powered Atoms

Though if this is anything to go by, maybe Atoms will get more usable for Windows next year.
    Yeap, realise that.

My ex had a Sony netbook, can't remember the name now but it's a couple of years old now. Amazingly thin and light. It was slower than dialup.....

It's also several times more expensive.

I think it's odd to complain about the performance of a machine without regard to it's cost.

It's like saying Mondeos perform badly because, hey, look how fast Bugattis go!