Like Tree15Likes

Where to cycle 30-50km around HK?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'd also suggest Tai Wai to Tai Mei Tuk/Plover Cove. It's virtually flat and away from traffic so it's suitable for those without much cycling experience IF you avoid weekends peak time. The afternoons are insane and quite dangerous with people cycling and talking on the phone, stopping and weaving everywhere, going too fast for their ability level etc... More dangerous than being on the road in my opinion. I've never ridden there at that time without seeing crashes. The bike path on the Ma On Shan side is a little quieter and Sai Sha rd to Sai Kung isn't bad either.

Cycling lane around Hanghau isnt too bad either but its not 50Km. You can rent bikes in Hang Hau as well as I heard but not actually sure where, will try and find out

Thanks very much for the information! I'll have to look into some of these other suggested routes in more detail.

It does seem like Tai Wai -> Tai Po and beyond would be good, if we start early on Saturday/Sunday. (I will go absolutely insane with slow, dumb riders... so I will heed to these warnings ).

A few more questions: Does anyone know what time the bike shops in Tai Wai open? What's the earliest we could plan on renting a bike?

Someone mentioned one-way rentals. Is this generally only to Tai Po or could you leave the bike even further away (along Ting Kok rd somewhere?)? It would be ideal to not need to ride back through this busy area in the afternoon.

Maybe Tai Wai (early) --> Tai Po -> Luk Keng, then back to --> Tai Po might be good?

Many thanks again! (I'm getting so excited about the prospect of cycling again!!! Stupid HK made me sell my beloved bike before moving here!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    HK made me sell my beloved bike before moving here!)
    WTF dont be hating the country, HK never made you sell your lovely bike

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Cycling lane around Hanghau isnt too bad either but its not 50Km. You can rent bikes in Hang Hau as well as I heard but not actually sure where, will try and find out
    Used to be a rental shop in front of Beverly Garden next to TKO MTR tho not sure if its still there.
    Two shops (same company) in Hang Hau village beside the hospital...not sure they rent tho.......not very helpful is it

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    Used to be a rental shop in front of Beverly Garden next to TKO MTR tho not sure if its still there.
    Two shops (same company) in Hang Hau village beside the hospital...not sure they rent tho.......not very helpful is it
    I believe you mean Bike Stop.

The store closer to the minibus stop has a bunch of older bikes chained up outside, which look to either be repairs or for rental/sale. Worth calling them to check.

Many thanks again! (I'm getting so excited about the prospect of cycling again!!! Stupid HK made me sell my beloved bike before moving here!)
    Not that I want to burst your bubble but most of the shops in Tai Wai rent bikes that are crap (for lack of a better word) at very cheap prices; I get the distinct feeling that you will be sorely disappointed with what will be on offer.

With that in mind, keep the following 2 links in mind for better quality bikes:
    1) http://yybike.com.hk/ : they are in Fo Tan and a bit more expensive but their bikes are a lot better than TaiWai crap.

2) http://www.bikescorner.com/ : they are in TaiWai, 5 min walk further than the crap stuff. Their bikes are much more expensive than the crappy ones but well worth the expense.

Also, look at the tours on offer here:
    http://www.hkcta.org.hk/
    They organize bike tours of all levels with support (ride on bus when you get tired) and they also help organize bike rentals.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    WTF dont be hating the country, HK never made you sell your lovely bike
    Well, I really miss cycling and being able to commute on my bike (hate having to take the bus)... who knows, perhaps I should be grateful that I don't get to cycle anymore (safer?). I was so proud when I was able to buy a brand new German bike that I kept for many years until I had to relocate here. I hope it is being put to good use in its new home. I was very unsure about selling it before coming here, but I'm really glad I did, as there is no way in hell that that bike would fit anywhere in an apartment here!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    +1 for the area grunty suggested. But avoid on a weekend! Too many novices with no idea how to steer or what the brakes are for...
    this, I made the mistake renting bikes in Yuen Long (to ride to Nam Sang Wai) with a bunch of grownups who claimed to know how to ride. NOT. you do not jump into the pool if you cannot swim right? anyway, some rental services carry really old rusty bikes. I remember the guy tried to hand me a random kids size bike. I told him, give me proper bike will you? And test your bike properly is my advice.

Words cannot describe my frustration that day. Seeing them zigzagging all over the place, braking in panic when not needed. and ofcourse the cars, there are so many cars going in and out Nam Sang Wai during the weekend, using the same road. honk honk! with no intention to slow down to avoid us pesky bikers. It's a miracle that nobody got hurt.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Well, I really miss cycling and being able to commute on my bike (hate having to take the bus)...
    You should also join this group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/122876654393209
    Lots of people there that commute around with bikes and discuss the issues surrounding....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast