Like Tree15Likes

Where to cycle 30-50km around HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Well, I really miss cycling and being able to commute on my bike (hate having to take the bus)... who knows, perhaps I should be grateful that I don't get to cycle anymore (safer?). I was so proud when I was able to buy a brand new German bike that I kept for many years until I had to relocate here. I hope it is being put to good use in its new home. I was very unsure about selling it before coming here, but I'm really glad I did, as there is no way in hell that that bike would fit anywhere in an apartment here!
    In about 15 years of riding thousands of km in HK, I had nothing more than minor slips on wet roads. As long as there's a shower at or near work, commuting and riding is OK if you have urban riding experience. Granted that it's not like riding in the countryside of France or Italy but it's no worse than most urban environment. Between the hills and the heat, it's also excellent training...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    There is no way Tai Wai to Tai Mei Tuk and return is 50km! Much more like 20-30km
    It is 24km one way, Tai Wai Station to Tai Mei Tuk BBQ area (waterfront), so just shy of 50km return.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    In about 15 years of riding thousands of km in HK, I had nothing more than minor slips on wet roads. As long as there's a shower at or near work, commuting and riding is OK if you have urban riding experience. Granted that it's not like riding in the countryside of France or Italy but it's no worse than most urban environment. Between the hills and the heat, it's also excellent training...
    It's good to know that it is possible with some determination. I am quite tempted to give it a try on some smaller roads for my commute. Problem is, I've got to get across the harbour for my commute. And there is literally no where to store a bike in my flat (not even a fold-up one) without creating an eye-sore. I wouldn't mind just trying this, though, but I haven't wanted to make the investment in a bike/gear here just to try it.

@HowardCombs: (sp?) I would definitely join that group, but I don't have facebook. I think I did check them out, though, sometime in the past... will definitely keep them in mind. And thanks *very* much for those links for some good bike shops! I have contacted them already!

SC Storage has bike storage lockers in some locations (mainly those out towards the NT).

Friendly and Sunny out in Tung Chung have bike storage for a fee. I believe that YY also provides this.

Hi, just wanted to say that we had a successful and enjoyable (except for the soreness!) ride along the cycle path from Fo Tan to Plover Cove. Thanks very much for making this possible!
    Rented bikes from YY, and they were indeed good bikes and such a pleasant shop! (Except, I can't somehow use gears and so I always manage to make the chain fall off.... I always had a hub gear bike for this reason). I am so impressed by this path and that it has been built up so well and for such a long distance! The government has done a remarkable job! Oh yes, and there were a handful of nonsensical people on bikes to provide me with some humor, too! I loved, also, that there are some medics cycling around to hand out band-aids.

I'm looking forward to trying some other routes soon, and might even take the idea of buying a little fold-up bike for commuting more seriously...

Thanks again!

INXS, HowardCoombs and MovingIn07 like this.

Just bought me a Dahon Matrix (26" folder) and I'm looking forward to doing some exploring! Riding through Central to Kennedy Town by the waterfront was fun, although I did get a finger wagged at me by a female traffic cop for riding on a (clear) sidewalk.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Where'd you get it, and would you mind sharing how much they go for?

(I thought the Matrix had been discontinued by Dahon.)

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Where'd you get it, and would you mind sharing how much they go for?

(I thought the Matrix had been discontinued by Dahon.)
    They are still made for the Chinese market. Here in HK you can still get 2010 US-market Matrices (lol) or the Chinese ones, which have the same frames as the new Cadenza/Espressos I believe. I got mine direct from China on Taobao. Bad move as it arrived with an obliterated serial #, so no warranty. If you get one locally they're just under $5,000, but you supposedly get a three-year-warranty.

http://www.bicycle.hk/component/opti.../page,show_ad/

So far the bike's been great; after a tuneup out on Mui Wo I've found it to shift beautifully and the very basic mechanical disc brakes are great, even before a full break-in. $100 for a full tuneup was actually a very fair price. He got the derailleurs just right and there is no brake rub at all. I could really use a larger frame, though, so I'm considering getting an entry-level Trek (3-series) too. The Dahon is really easy to fold and stick in a taxi trunk, though, which is a huge advantage as I don't even have to take the front wheel off.
    MovingIn07 and jgl like this.

You've been out to Mui Wo with it- have you ridden it on the Chi Ma Wan trail? I am curious as to how that trail is with a fully rigid bike.

I'm not a biker, but I know trail well. I imagine the spot some call "The Fridge" would be rather interesting with no shock absorbing.