Like Tree15Likes

Where to cycle 30-50km around HK?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Where to cycle 30-50km around HK?

Hi, I'd like to take a day trip and rent bikes somewhere and go for a 30-50km bike ride somewhere around Hong Kong (to train a bit for a potential cycling tour)... if this is possible.

Any recommendations about which area to go to (where you can rent a bike + ride)? Any particular route recommendations? I'd be going with someone who is a little scared of traffic and stopping and going on bikes.... so would ideally like something with some calmer roads.

Many thanks in advance!

There's a fairly extensive cycle path network around Shatin, Tai Po and out to Tai Mei Tuk, and you can rent bicycles at various points, including doing one-way rentals if you wish.
    http://www.gohk.gov.hk/eng/welcome/t...s.html?spots=7

+1 for the area grunty suggested. But avoid on a weekend! Too many novices with no idea how to steer or what the brakes are for...

Other areas include the cycle paths around Tung Chung - I believe there is also a bike rental shop in Tung Chung but don;t have details. There is one in Mui Wo.

At a pinch, the route between Tsuen Wan and Tuen Mun - there are a number of paths and also some reasonably quiet roads along the coast. A few mad buses but not too bad compared to most places in HK, and also flat.

Get off the MTR in Tai Wai station, walk out from Exit A and you'll see 4-5 bike rental shops in front of you. From there you can ride towards Ma On Shan & Wu Kai Sha or the other side of Tolo Harbour towards Shatin, Tai Po and eventually Tai Mei Tuk all of which is on cycle paths with no need to worry too much about traffic.

Tai Wai to Tai Me Tuk and return will get you well over 50km on the cycle paths.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations! The Tai Wai out towards Plover Cove sounds like a good option (it'll be so strange to do something flat in Hong Kong!).

But tell me, just how bad is the "traffic" on this cycle path? Can you go at a reasonable speed on the weekend or are you going to be constantly colliding with 3-year-olds learning how to ride? Or people peddling around with a plan to only "cycle" 5 km? Or places like this just limited to one or two smallish areas? (So there is still plenty of non-congested cycle path.)

Do rental bikes come with bells and does anyone follow any system of moving out of the way? (Like Germans do....although I seriously doubt any other culture in the world takes these cycle or ski lane "rules" as seriously as Germans do.) Also, is it possible to rent a helmet too?

If it's really stop-and-go the whole way, I'm wondering if it's possible time-wise to make do a whole 50km round.

There is no way Tai Wai to Tai Mei Tuk and return is 50km! Much more like 20-30km

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Thanks for the replies and recommendations! The Tai Wai out towards Plover Cove sounds like a good option (it'll be so strange to do something flat in Hong Kong!).

But tell me, just how bad is the "traffic" on this cycle path? Can you go at a reasonable speed on the weekend or are you going to be constantly colliding with 3-year-olds learning how to ride? Or people peddling around with a plan to only "cycle" 5 km? Or places like this just limited to one or two smallish areas? (So there is still plenty of non-congested cycle path.)

Do rental bikes come with bells and does anyone follow any system of moving out of the way? (Like Germans do....although I seriously doubt any other culture in the world takes these cycle or ski lane "rules" as seriously as Germans do.) Also, is it possible to rent a helmet too?

If it's really stop-and-go the whole way, I'm wondering if it's possible time-wise to make do a whole 50km round.
    Its BAD - no way you can have a smooth/reasonable speed ride on those paths during weekends - at least only for small bits here and there...and only when you get far away from the Shatin/Tai Wai area - thats according to my experience at least.

For road biking many will enjoy the ride from Tsuen Wan to Tuen Mun (or even Yuen Long) as Moving mentioned - its fairly quiet but you still need to be careful in regards to traffic.
    Many will also go to Sunny Bay and enjoy the roads there - maybe back and forth towards Disney Land, DB tunnel etc - not a 30-50Km in one stretch but roads in good condition and no heavy traffic

Steve at CrosscountryHK does offroad and onroad guided trips around HK: http://www.crosscountryhk.com/ I believe that he's got night rides on HK island now too that are not up on the site.

If you want to DIY, you could also sign up to Strava and look for the longer road cycling segments around Hong Kong. Though there is no way to judge traffic from Strava and the longer routes are probably put up by roadies who don't worry about traffic.

The NT cycle routes are not all that bad. I have done the main ones many times. There are many terrible riders, but if you are a fairly competent commuter you can avoid them and still maintain decent speeds for much of the way. If you are riding with someone who is not a competent rider (i.e. is not comfortable weaving through obstacles) then the paths might be more frustrating and slower.

If you want training mileage, Lantau is a decent option. Rent bikes from Friendly (Mui Wo) or Sunny (near Tung Chung but hard to find the first time) and do the tough Buddha climb. Bugger all traffic, but very steep. The stores mainly do mountain bikes though, not ideally suited to mileage.

People might move out of the way if you shout at them, but that won't make for an enjoyable day (and will probably just cause people to crash). The two stores I mention can provide helmets.

Tai wai to plover clove reservoir and back it about 50k. A little under maybe.

That's a great route!

However if you go on a Sunday or a public holiday when doing the stretch from Tia Wai to Tai po will be very busy with people who are unsure how bikes work or what a bike path is, so be careful. I have seen many people coming off there bikes due to others stupidity.

After that its ok. If you go early (ish) or after about 5 it tends to be ok.

Ate end of the bike route in plover clove you can head to a little beach, there is also some great places to eat and a nice dock. It's good for a mid ride snack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast