Like Tree4Likes

Caging for crabs?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Caging for crabs?

Anyone know where they sell cages with the locking gate and bait hook to catch crabs in HK? I've only seen shops selling nets and fishing rods... Anyone tried this in HK or know of good spots? I think if I catch 'em up near Saikung area they should be relatively heavy-metal free?

I'm back in compliance with the law and can post whatever picture the heck I want with my inflatable

INXS likes this.

I'd say wanchai is the best bet for crab caging. Check for the bars with curtains

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I'd say wanchai is the best bet for crab caging. Check for the bars with curtains
    LOL thanks
    justjoe86 likes this.

Great to see you back Titus! Is that the new boat?

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Great to see you back Titus! Is that the new boat?
    Thanks and yes! Though wife ain't too happy my old one is still around LOL
    This one is much wider and hence more stable but I had to upgrade to a 4hp outboard and it's a pain to lug from the top floor of a village house down to a push cart on the ground floor. Advice on dealing with the Marin Department; if they send you back on the first time they need more information (i.e. clearer pictures), ask them to review the ENTIRE application so they don't send you home one single revision a day... I spent 3 days going back and forth from their office since their office hours are like till 4:30pm weekdays only!!!

Still, I think worth the upgrade now that I have given up any pretense of "health benefits" of exercising with a kayak type inflatable. Instead I'm going to try some interesting things like catching crabs (not the Wanchai type LOL).

do you need a license to operate the outboard motor??

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    do you need a license to operate the outboard motor??
    Not for 4hp or under; when I registered the boat it was automatically given an "operator license" and a "certificate of ownership". For under 4 meters in length it costs like 355 HKD a year plus 1000 HKD a year third party insurance.

The confusion I had before was that under 4hp, my craft did not need to be registered; but it's more like UNpowered and less than 4 meters in length it doesn't need any type of registration for boat nor operator. ANY powered craft even 1hp needs to be registered and insured; the operator does not need a license to operate it if it's under 4hp. If it's over 4hp then both the boat needs to be registered plus the operator needs to take the licensing exam.
    wtbhotia likes this.

That thing looks sweet! Kudos man! If your handy its quite easy to make your own cages, but then you will need buoy/marker of some sort... I'm jealous!

After failing miserably with my last attempt at DIYing in HK and spending $$$ buying the power tools, I've decided to let the pros be the pros and admit defeat LOL
    I guess I would need wire mesh and bend it/zip tie the pieces into a box and get a spring and hook for the closure... but then I don't want to liter the ocean with my failed crab cage.... if I still can't find a shop selling them I might get one from Amazon...

With the recent ban on bottom trawling the area outside Tolo channel should be teeming with bottom shell fish...? I wonder how deep the water is out there for the buoy/marker?

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    That thing looks sweet! Kudos man! If your handy its quite easy to make your own cages, but then you will need buoy/marker of some sort... I'm jealous!

Cheers Titus, i'm looking at this thread in work and didnt see any pictures, seems its blocked

looked it up in my phone and vola, there are pictures, the new boat looks great. Must have cost quite a bit.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast