Like Tree26Likes

HK Gym Etiquette (lack of)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I walk on a treadmill, varying my pace. I have too many joints that just can't take running/jogging.
    Reefer and going to the gym doesn't seem to be a recipe for success.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    On the contrary
    justjoe86 likes this.

Trust me my training partner smokes weed daily and he shot up to a 400lb deadlift in a matter of months. (While I'm stuck at 395 )

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Trust me my training partner smokes weed daily and he shot up to a 400lb deadlift in a matter of months. (While I'm stuck at 395 )
    Then you know what you need to do...
    Go ahead and find that friendly brown face in the neighbour hood and get your fix today!!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Gotta.put.the.spork.down...

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Maybe that it relaxes the muscles meaning less resistance.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Many sources say that brisk walking a few times a week has many health benefits, so that last statement is utterly ridiculous. Many people go to a gym just to burn a few calories, reduce their risk of diabetes, heart disease or whatever. Not everyone wants to get their body fat to 10% or look like Mr Universe.
    "Brisk walking" is usually attached to recommendations coming out of highly sedentary countries such as the US or UK, where most people drive and sometimes walking is even discouraged by urban planning.

HK is a very walking-oriented place as most people do not own cars. Most people get a lot more walking in here than many Western cities (a place like New York would be an exception- high population density, low car ownership and reliable public transport).

From what I've seen of people who walk on treadmills (or cycle machines ) in Hong Kong, the majority of them tend to do it at completely normal paces rather anything approaching "brisk".

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I walk on a treadmill, varying my pace. I have too many joints that just can't take running/jogging. On the treadmill, I'm air-conditioned comfort with a nice view of the park. I just have to avoid the flying sweat* of the treadmill runners.
    Wanting to walk in air conditioning and out of smog I can understand. I know other people who walk on treadmills as their joints can't take anything harder. I'd put bad joints in the "rehab" category which I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I think that is in reference to people who would dry clothes with them....

I have a guy who dries his swimming suit with the hair dryer at my pool...he spends about 20 minutes doing it......
    On all the signs regarding hair dryer use that I've seen the Chinese version says:
    头发
    tóufa
    hair (on the human head)

After a bit more thinking, I believe that the lack of manners in HK gyms is mostly down to the staff and management. It should be job of staff to point out when things are being done incorrectly.

If anyone can remember the first time they went to a gym, you would know that the whole experience is hugely new, confusing and somewhat daunting. People new to the gym will have no idea that they are supposed to put weights back or check if others want to work in with them- it's a thing that most people pick up via osmosis over time. If the staff at a gym don't sets a cooperative tone at the gym to start with, then it's always going to be a free for all.

The people who work in gyms simply have no clue, either with how to exercise or train clients, or what behavioural norms are in countries with more established gym cultures. In over five years in HK, I have had exactly one trainer remind me to return my weights to a rack, and he was a BBC. On the other hand, I have seen countless trainers mis-train their clients.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    On all the signs regarding hair dryer use that I've seen the Chinese version says:
    头发
    tóufa
    hair (on the human head)

Right. But isn't it odd that they need a sign to dictate what a hair dryer is suppose to be used for? I was just saying that I see a lot people using hair dryers to dry clothes (at my club), thus the need to post a sign....although, the type of person who is going to dry clothes with a hair dryer isn't likely to follow a sign directions either..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast