Like Tree97Likes

Beware of California Fitness. Please advise

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ummmm.... yes. they did nothing against the law. it was you, yourself, who should have done due diligence. you've never heard, 'if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is'?

and no.... it is not the other posters harping on... with all of the complaints about california fitness floating around, it wouldn't have taken more than about 15 seconds to find out about their dodgy business practices.

if you were hoping to "raise awareness" i think you have discovered that people around HK pretty much are aware of these biz practices. if you are hoping to change the rules, yeah, i don't think you are going to get very far. i salute you for trying, but as they haven't done anything illegal, don't think it's going to happen.

and no, i have no idea what you are talking about PPI? i have never been to the uk, i do listen to bbc, but that is about it (even though i have a uk passport)... sorry
    I'm not questioning the legality so no need for you to tell me if it's legal or not. Some people erroneously assume I did and somehow emphasized on the legality aspect

Well there are always newbies like me who've just arrived in HK, feeling excited to start a new life. So nothing wrong to keep the topic fresh by creating a new thread. Hopefully they'd refer to Geoexpat and also get a taste of what the mentality of some of the people here

I think we are just polar opposites on this issue. You think you're right and I think I'm right. But the truth of whose right is absolute not always determined by whichever group with the loudest or most voices

As for PPI = payment protection insurance, google it if you're interested. Some of those victims problem lost more substantially than me, from being misold the PPI by reckless bankers

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Let me be blunt : I dont believe you. I believe that you are honest but you are misremembering things. Here is why:

I've been in hard sell situations before and I've seen their tactics. Unless they have been badly trained, they do not lie. They stretch, they skirt, they omit but they do not lie.
    They use words like "the competitor charges around xxxxx", "the competitor's list price is yyyy", "the competitors starting price is zzzzzzz" and other similar sentences without telling you the exact market price.

I think you heard what you wanted to hear and now you are relating a faulty story.

And you speculate what you want to speculate

Dear OP, I think it is time for you to give it a rest. You have been the victim of a hard sell tactic, you have highlighted the issue now it is time to move on and get on with your life.

For those wondering what PPI is. Here's a starting pt, a Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment...tion_insurance

You signing up for an overpriced gym contract is hardly the same as PPI. And yes, I'm English and know exactly what PPI mis-selling is. Were you told you HAD to sign up for the gym? No of course you weren't.

Any sympathy I had for the OP evaporated a long time ago. He's just a whiny little tosser who won't take responsibility for his actions and a great example of why the nanny state is bad news.

Gruntfuttock, auss, Cwbguy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    You signing up for an overpriced gym contract is hardly the same as PPI. And yes, I'm English and know exactly what PPI mis-selling is. Were you told you HAD to sign up for the gym? No of course you weren't.

Any sympathy I had for the OP evaporated a long time ago. He's just a whiny little tosser who won't take responsibility for his actions and a great example of why the nanny state is bad news.
    Don't think you had any sympathy to begin with, please park that "I was with him but now against him" aside just to sound more unbiased.

PPI is not the same product but still share the same element with Cali, that is use of deception in selling

You're English so what? That doesn't mean you have a more superior understanding of the PPI scandal. I lived in England before but I'm not English English

Also you making comments like "whiny little tosser" is direct personal attack which doesn't add value to the discourse. Why do you need to appear to be so rude to get your points across?

I commend your tenacity. You will be very welcome here regularly.... :thumbup:

Sent from somewhere....

While the op should take some comfort knowing this thread has dragged on for eternity, and undoubtably many people reading this thread will either stay away from California fitness or enter into contracts very carefully...

I think everything that can possibly be said regarding this issue had been said multiple times....

Time to move on...live and learn.

Cal Fitness is by far the worst club in HK.

The need to get their act together and start off by firing Rocky Chau, Michael Wong and Fion Tsui. Rocky & Michael are leftovers from the old (90's) days and continue to use the same scammy tactics. These are the guys who hire/train all the Sales people & Trainers to use all sorts of gangster tactics on members. In TST the staff inappropriately touch female members to solicit sales and there are almost daily incidents of theft (possibly by staff).

Note that Cal is no longer part of 24hr Fitness & Jackie Chan is no longer involved with them either.

For those interested in signing up in TST, note that a brand new Physical with new equipment is opening right across the street from California on Carnavon Rd/opp Hau Fook street.

Last edited by JaredHK; 15-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    asianexpatinhk likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12