Like Tree97Likes

Beware of California Fitness. Please advise

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    What I find very intimidating is the level of attack on the victim by some - naive, gullible, "made a mistake", with a hint of "you're stupid and you deserve it, duh it's how this shit works" disdain. Where's the compass. Is it because you want the same right to rip somebody off when you get the chance?
    It's not an attack to point out that what you did was Grade A stupidity. You walked in and signed a contract for something you can't afford. Then you blame the salespeople for "pressuring" you when you could've said no and walked out at any point. To expect a salesperson to have your best interests at heart is naïve. To take their word for anything that's not written down is gullible. To sign a contract without understanding it is stupidity.

I thought there was a cooling off period ordinance on some sectors in hk such as beauty salon industry. I would have thought this would be extended to gyms industry too.

Sent from somewhere....

anothercanuck likes this.

Anyway I've made my point(s). I am not disputing the black and white of the T&C. It's written

My issue is the dishonesty and misleading info used by Cali to sell me their services. Even if the law were to prioritise the act of signing the contract over the validity of the process leading up to that is another matter. My point(s) are grounded in the moral compass not the letter of the law

For those who make the similar lines of attack as gruntfuttock (incl. his other alter egos), well you can read previous replies

Time to put all this behind you and look forward to your first Zumba session.

virago likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    It's not an attack to point out that what you did was Grade A stupidity.
    If that is not an attack, what exactly is it? It is certainly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    You walked in and signed a contract for something you can't afford. Then you blame the salespeople for "pressuring" you when you could've said no and walked out at any point. To expect a salesperson to have your best interests at heart is naïve. To take their word for anything that's not written down is gullible. To sign a contract without understanding it is stupidity.
    Did you even read the facts? He was misled. Your assertion that "To take their word for anything that's not written down is gullible" is incorrect.

He has every entitlement to rely on oral promises and they carry as much weight as written promises. There is of course a question of evidencing this but that's for a court to decide. And yes, there are many instances where a court has found in favour of a claimant whose claim is based on oral misrepresentation.
    asianexpatinhk likes this.

Hi all HK newbies and lovely locals

I'm just hoping to warn that if you're looking for a gym, be very careful when dealing with California Fitness. Recently I visited their Central gym. They were very aggressive and would even mislead you on their personal training service

I was given unreliable quotes for personal training at other gyms by one of their employees, which turned out to be false. They would also threaten not to give you the introductory rate if you decide to join later rather than on the spot. Unfortunately for me I succumbed to their pressure and joined based on their false information

I would advise that you call them and negotiate the rates over the phone before even consider visiting the gym. Also always push for corporate rate for membership. When it comes to money, these people don't respond to civility and you need to haggle hard

Unfortunately for me, I am stuck with a personal training contract that is beyond my means and a membership that I don't really need

Oh yes, don't even bother seeking redress from them if you have been miss-sold. Their position is that so long you signed the contract, and their employees have read out the terms and conditions, you are stuck with it. They will not even accept the fact that if you had been lied to or misled into joining. They will not be transparent with you over their "internal investigation" process. They would not invite to speak to you in person over your grievance so it's very one-sided. The only way to seek redress is through Small Claims tribunal, the Consumer Council and maybe your local LegCo member

If any of you have faced similar issues, or know someone who have, please advise how I'd be able to seek redress

Cheers
    probably best way, guess and work out an executive or even better ceo of california fitness's ( most company email's use standard formats and easy to remember suffixes) email address, write a polite yet direct email stating the reasons why you feel cheated, if the email address is incorrect, alter the format, if the email does not bounce back, it's correct, then you find out how a company resolves an issue with minimiam hassle once you know their executive's address

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:

Did you even read the facts? He was misled.
    I did read the OP and I thought the only area which could be described as misleading was salesman giving inaccurate price of competitor gym's PT sessions.

Since we do not know how much he paid for either his membership or his PT sessions it is a little hard to really know if the numbers were inaccurate.

If he was told that rivals charge anything up to $1200 a session, then he was not mislead.

OP-how much did you pay for membership and PT sessions, and could you tell us how much the salesman quoted you for the rival's sessions?

Anyway I've made my point(s). I am not disputing the black and white of the T&C. It's written
    Good to know.
    My issue is the dishonesty and misleading info used by Cali to sell me their services. Even if the law were to prioritise the act of signing the contract over the validity of the process leading up to that is another matter.
    There is no "if" here. When there is a valid written contract, the lawwill take it first over anything said verbally leading up to it.
    My point(s) are grounded in the moral compass not the letter of the law
    Moral Compass has no real standing in a properly executed written contract.
    Which reminds me of this funny story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mor...pped-bare.html

I'm generally a hard-core contract-is-a-contract guy, but most people are not very familair with legal documents, which is perhaps why most developed nations seem to have what are called "consumer protection" laws to protect people from their own foolishness. Cooling off periods are common features of such laws. You can argue that these laws unfairly tip the scales in the favour of the consumer, but such things are known to happen in a democracy, and if you run a business and don't like it--well, you know where the airport is!

The OP may be stuck with the contract, but there's no reason to get mad when s/he can get even... You know those signs saying please don't throw paper towels into the toilets?

(j/k)

closedcasket and elle like this.

my general feeling is, whenever I feel I'm being 'hard sold' I walk away

anyone who is applying what I think is unnecessary pressure is probably trying to scam you

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast