Like Tree97Likes

Beware of California Fitness. Please advise

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You don't have to agree with something (ie CalFit's practises) to know it exists. The problem is that newbies arrive in HK expecting everything to be "like home". It's not. Its different. I've been here nearly 6 years and I still make that mistake (like thinking supermarkets would sell washing up brushes, for example!). The only thing that changes as you spend longer somewhere is that you realise you are the problem and not the place you are visiting.

I think I've mentioned on here the story previously about my sister visiting Japan for the first (and only) time with her very young baby. She didn't bring any Yen and expected to be able to buy baby food and supplies with a credit card. Well, you can't in Japan. They take very few credit cards and not in local supermarkets. To this day she blames Japan for the problems she had on that trip, not herself for not checking these things out before getting on the plane.

If we say nothing along these lines, this forum would just be a "HK is awful because I couldn't buy a washing up brush" kind of thread - just a whinge. It's not. It supplies useful information to anyone who asks sensible questions. But if folks are foolish, well, why should we be kind to fools? Life isn't, generally.
    This exemplifies the point (being arrogance and condemnation) Instead of calling people fools and foolish..how about calling them inexperienced or unfamiliar? Just because you haven't traveled a lot doesn't make you foolish. And I know people (hmmm, hmmm) who have traveled the world and don't have a bit of sense.
    asianexpatinhk likes this.

asianexpatinhk-how much did the salesguys at Cali. say the competitors were charging, and how much did you pay for your membership and PT sessions?

Any latest discounts for California?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    asianexpatinhk-how much did the salesguys at Cali. say the competitors were charging, and how much did you pay for your membership and PT sessions?
    Well not sure if I could be specific on here as I may consider seeking redress via legal means. But I'm sure you can guess on which side the prices the Cali quoted re other gyms for PT vs the actual prices what I later found out, thus leaving me with a bitter feeling of being cheated

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    This exemplifies the point (being arrogance and condemnation) Instead of calling people fools and foolish..how about calling them inexperienced or unfamiliar? Just because you haven't traveled a lot doesn't make you foolish. And I know people (hmmm, hmmm) who have traveled the world and don't have a bit of sense.
    How does the Japan story relate to being a victim of common but misleading sales practice in HK? I'm sure Japan doesn't advertise to unsuspecting tourists that all its stores accept all types of credit cards when it's not the case.

Desire to be treated with dignity, respect and integrity is a fundamental right, regardless what the common local practises. So are racial and gender equalities, etc

Also one reason HK still seek expats is the different (and maybe new) perspectives they can offer. And newbies can offer that with a fresh pair of eyes. If one doesn't like that , maybe one is rather closed minded

Quote Originally Posted by Daisykk:
    Any latest discounts for California?
    Dunno, but not sure it's worth going for California at all, if you can help it. Want cheap = Physical (can even negotiate the PT rates). Want quality = Pure (at least what my mates say)

[QUOTE=asianexpatinhk;2440858]Well not sure if I could be specific on here as I may consider seeking redress via legal means./QUOTE]

You can be very specific here and the answers should be simple.

How much did Cali sales guys tell you the competitors were charging?
    How much did you pay for your membership and PT sessions?

I think it highly unlikely that you will take Cali. to court, personally, I hope you do, but you will lose and if you can't afford the club fees you sure as hell can't afford a solicitor.

Without backing up your accusations with real numbers, those accusations are bs.

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    Well not sure if I could be specific on here as I may consider seeking redress via legal means. But I'm sure you can guess on which side the prices the Cali quoted re other gyms for PT vs the actual prices what I later found out, thus leaving me with a bitter feeling of being cheated
    Therefore, you would have been in a more positive situation if you had posed the question regarding the authenticity of California Fitness' contract ethics and customer service on this forum first, to weigh up options before diving in head first to sign a too good to be try contract.

N.B. of course you will get posters who are having a bad hair, lack of sleep or sexually frustrated, the boss is a bastard day and give you a completely BS answer or just an insult. At least, you can say that you asked......we've all been newbies, naive in any way at one or two stages in our expat lives. You live and learn. One ting I've learned is that guys tend to never ask questions, but women do!

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    How does the Japan story relate to being a victim of common but misleading sales practice in HK? I'm sure Japan doesn't advertise to unsuspecting tourists that all its stores accept all types of credit cards when it's not the case.

Desire to be treated with dignity, respect and integrity is a fundamental right, regardless what the common local practises. So are racial and gender equalities, etc

Also one reason HK still seek expats is the different (and maybe new) perspectives they can offer. And newbies can offer that with a fresh pair of eyes. If one doesn't like that , maybe one is rather closed minded
    The aim was to provide a metaphorical or empathetic example of how one should avoid acting on impulse ( like I am guilty of, I admit!!!) and check out other options, do their prior research beforehand. I mean, did you need a gym right at that moment, within 24 hrs? I haven't used a gym here, the first few months I lost four kilos just running around the streets looking for apartments to live in, hiked up the peak in my lunch hour, and also battling out the crowd from Central to CWB. If you have the time and energy for a gym, then you have the same to check out your options. If you don't understand the lingo, in speech or in writing, don't take it on.

Pretty sure that newbies to HK are accepted so that they learn about HK and Asia in general...check out the travel forum......but to come in expecting everything to be as it is in your home country ( I've encountered people like that in other countries I've lived in, it puts my head in my hands in sheer incredulousness) if plain foolish and expect to be judged. .
    MovingIn07 and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Therefore, you would have been in a more positive situation if you had posed the question regarding the authenticity of California Fitness' contract ethics and customer service on this forum first, to weigh up options before diving in head first to sign a too good to be try contract.

N.B. of course you will get posters who are having a bad hair, lack of sleep or sexually frustrated, the boss is a bastard day and give you a completely BS answer or just an insult. At least, you can say that you asked......we've all been newbies, naive in any way at one or two stages in our expat lives. You live and learn. One ting I've learned is that guys tend to never ask questions, but women do!
    You can say so. If I had asked them to prove their authenticity, they might have been a bit embarrassed to go on

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast