Like Tree97Likes

Beware of California Fitness. Please advise

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

asianexpatinhk-please will you answer the previous questions on numbers.
    How much did Cali sales guys tell you the competitors were charging?
    How much did you pay for your membership and PT sessions?
    PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    The aim was to provide a metaphorical or empathetic example of how one should avoid acting on impulse ( like I am guilty of, I admit!!!) and check out other options, do their prior research beforehand. I mean, did you need a gym right at that moment, within 24 hrs? I haven't used a gym here, the first few months I lost four kilos just running around the streets looking for apartments to live in, hiked up the peak in my lunch hour, and also battling out the crowd from Central to CWB. If you have the time and energy for a gym, then you have the same to check out your options. If you don't understand the lingo, in speech or in writing, don't take it on.

Pretty sure that newbies to HK are accepted so that they learn about HK and Asia in general...check out the travel forum......but to come in expecting everything to be as it is in your home country ( I've encountered people like that in other countries I've lived in, it puts my head in my hands in sheer incredulousness) if plain foolish and expect to be judged. .

I think learning about your host country is important. But it's also very separate thing to agreeing with EVERYthing considered as common practice is acceptable and should be respected

Should we resign to the fact letting poor elderly scrape a living from collecting used paper products is a fact of life in HK and shouldn't make a comment about it, or why the Christian lobby has an excessive voice on this gay rights debate (or the lack of) in HK?

Other practices like sharing a table with the other people in local restaurants or having to deal with people who just blurt out words in Canto is fine. I know some expats have issues with sharing tables and would never go to a local but I just love my wonton noodles too much

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    You can say so. If I had asked them to prove their authenticity, they might have been a bit embarrassed to go on
    Embarrassed to go on!... Red flag up already. I have been ripped off, too. Not gyms, but face creams, well, one only, and in Shenzhen when I bought a four meter strip of fabric fondly to be given three cut pieces that were not of good quality and the lady began yelling and abusing me when I started. To check. Unfortunately, being a blonde gwuilo, in HK , I can get fair treatment, but in the mainland, forget it. I was ready to try my right hook other. But, I tell my friends and contacts to never go near the stalls. And I tell them that I have told them that. Fools gold. Looks good on the outside but behind the scenes, what you really get is awful.

I'm using my own experience as an example of empathy with you. I knew what these crooks were like but I liked the product too much.

PLEASE.

HowardCoombs likes this.

[QUOTE=Cwbguy;2440902]

Well not sure if I could be specific on here as I may consider seeking redress via legal means./QUOTE]

You can be very specific here and the answers should be simple.

I think it highly unlikely that you will take Cali. to court, personally, I hope you do, but you will lose and if you can't afford the club fees you sure as hell can't afford a solicitor.

Without backing up your accusations with real numbers, those accusations are bs.
    I'm not sure I should waste the details on you. You seem to have already made up your mind anyway so whatever I say would be twisted for your agenda. Anyway I'm having an appointment with with a volunteer lawyer for free legal advice service in July and will see what he or she says. I started this OP just as to warn others about Cali did to me and to ask for suggestions to help seek redress. Instead al I've been getting from SOME responders is condemnation for being stupid etc...

Embarrassed to go on!... Red flag up already. I have been ripped off, too. Not gyms, but face creams, well, one only, and in Shenzhen when I bought a four meter strip of fabric fondly to be given three cut pieces that were not of good quality and the lady began yelling and abusing me when I started. To check. Unfortunately, being a blonde gwuilo, in HK , I can get fair treatment, but in the mainland, forget it. I was ready to try my right hook other. But, I tell my friends and contacts to never go near the stalls. And I tell them that I have told them that. Fools gold. Looks good on the outside but behind the scenes, what you really get is awful.

I'm using my own experience as an example of empathy with you. I knew what these crooks were like but I liked the product too much.
    Yeah but the problem was it didn't occur to me that I should ask them to confirm the validity of their quotes. I thought they were decent enough human beings. Even the guys at PCCW were not like that and wouldn't give me fake quotes etc

Going off tangent, I remember seeing a post from someone putting PCCW in the same gang as Cali. I think it's not true and they have very polite customer service (over the phone) and have been transparent with their prices for broadband etc....

I think learning about your host country is important. But it's also very separate thing to agreeing with EVERYthing considered as common practice is acceptable and should be respected

Should we resign to the fact letting poor elderly scrape a living from collecting used paper products is a fact of life in HK and shouldn't make a comment about it, or why the Christian lobby has an excessive voice on this gay rights debate (or the lack of) in HK?

Other practices like sharing a table with the other people in local restaurants or having to deal with people who just blurt out words in Canto is fine. I know some expats have issues with sharing tables and would never go to a local but I just love my wonton noodles too much
    Then, what are you just repeating verbatim that has been done many times over? Nothing to do with your canto, it's just being streetwise. My Canto is crap, utter crap but still survive ( been married long enough, therefore communicating with deaf and the dumb or just dont understand is sufficient.) I eat in the dai Pai dongs as do many other HKers and have no qualms about sharing a table. This is nothing about watching the poor pickup cardboard to recycle, this is about prior to when you arrive into a country in which you intend to reside for x numbers of months or years, and take on a toddler attitude in that everyone should look out for you,when , Infact, there are shamans everywhere....and not just in HK.

Re CF, do the time, make sure you give the gym and the trainers a workout ( they went hardcore on you, you go hardcore on them for results, heh?!). And find a way in the meantime to get out of the clause.

I get ripped off quite a bit when I buy those junks in tourist markets in Mainland China too. Usually just small items, nothing in the range of tens of thousands HKD. My partner (also blonde) is better at haggling so usually does the negotiating for me

I'm planning to go to Dafen soon, anyone any advice?

Then, what are you just repeating verbatim that has been done many times over? Nothing to do with your canto, it's just being streetwise. My Canto is crap, utter crap but still survive ( been married long enough, therefore communicating with deaf and the dumb or just dont understand is sufficient.) I eat in the dai Pai dongs as do many other HKers and have no qualms about sharing a table. This is nothing about watching the poor pickup cardboard to recycle, this is about prior to when you arrive into a country in which you intend to reside for x numbers of months or years, and take on a toddler attitude in that everyone should look out for you,when , Infact, there are shamans everywhere....and not just in HK.

Re CF, do the time, make sure you give the gym and the trainers a workout ( they went hardcore on you, you go hardcore on them for results, heh?!). And find a way in the meantime to get out of the clause.

I just expect people to have decent morals like most of people I deal with in HK. Im sorry I'm not some cynical person who expects the worst in people

Also I didn't expect people to look out for me

All i asked were just suggestions to solve my problem. Somehow that's been twisted into an attack on my character, level of intelligence or lack of appreciation for local culture

PLEASE.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast