Like Tree44Likes

Swimming - fresh water- tai tam?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I've heard some pretty big snakes like swimming in the reservoirs too...might be fun!
    Yes, I have seen plenty of those, it is usually the brown rat snakes that like to take a dip.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I've heard some pretty big snakes like swimming in the reservoirs too...might be fun!
    Snakes are bad, but remember, HK was once part of the historic natural range of saltwater crocodiles, which are found in fresh and brackish water (and of course saltwater). So be glad that those salties are no longer around to dine on would-be freshwater swimmers in HK . Of course, for those looking to take a dip in some innocent-looking river or lake in countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, India or Australia, those big salties just might be lurking beneath that inviting stretch of water...

On the flip side, having crocs around does control the snake population in the reservoirs . So like I said in another thread, we should reintroduce the Chinese alligator back to HK and let them populate our reservoirs. They are relatively small and timid, so it won't pose a life-threatening danger to humans. But they will sure eat some of the snakes around the reservoirs. .

Yes, a hare-brain scheme, but it's not as far-fetched as it sounds, the caimans (the South American version of the alligator) are known to make Brazilian reservoirs as their home.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 28-06-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makeo:
    Many people do stream trekking in summer and they can swim in the pool up stream. This is quite dangerous and many people die from it every year.
    Rubbish. The ones who die are usually doing something stupid. Take care and go with a group its a fabulous way to enjoy remote streams in summer.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app

Amazes me people talk about the 'perils' of trekking in HK. Unless you are very stupid it is perfectly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Rubbish. The ones who die are usually doing something stupid. Take care and go with a group its a fabulous way to enjoy remote streams in summer.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app
    So there are people dying from it, right? So people need to ne caution, and why is it rubbish.

So there are people dying from it, right? So people need to ne caution, and why is it rubbish.
    Its rubbish because you are using imprecise terms (eg: many) to spread FUD about a perfectly safe activity practiced by thousands.

How many died from it last year?
    How many in the last 10 years?
    How do these numbers compare to people walking around the city and dying because they got hit by a car/bus/minibus?

Once you put numbers in perspective, you will very quickly realize why its rubbish.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Lantau old quarry is an option for a fresh water dip. Or it used to be until the YMCA put fences up to stop people using the land.

I guess you mean Lamma, not Lantau.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Its rubbish because you are using imprecise terms (eg: many) to spread FUD about a perfectly safe activity practiced by thousands.

How many died from it last year?
    How many in the last 10 years?
    How do these numbers compare to people walking around the city and dying because they got hit by a car/bus/minibus?

Once you put numbers in perspective, you will very quickly realize why its rubbish.
    Then you better give me an exact count of people doing stream trekking last year.

Then you better give me an exact count of people doing stream trekking last year.
    Then you better go do some research for yourself as I'm not about to do it for you.

Hey, did you know that many people try to BS their way out of positions when challenged?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast