Like Tree44Likes

Swimming - fresh water- tai tam?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Makeo:
    Then you better give me an exact count of people doing stream trekking last year.
    None. Some drowned after jumping headfirst into a pool without looking and hit his head on rocks. Another had a heart attack. How are either od these "stream trekking"?
    Have u tried checking how many died hiking in the heat? That's one problem you don't get stream trekking.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app

If you've ever seen the huge drain holes all water reservoirs have you wouldn't even think of it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app

It's a pity that I still dare not do any stream trekking.

Tried to find the Shui Lo Chu pools at the weekend. There seemed to be a lot on the internet about an "Infinity Pool" accessible from Tai O. I went with a route description from "Roz's Hiking Pages" which directed us to a bridge with painted rails over the stream along the path signposted from Man Cheung Po to Shui Lo Chu, though the directions tantalisingly stopped at the direction to leave the path there. We came to a cliff/dead end on a path on one side of the stream, then retraced our steps and tried on the other side; after a couple of minutes fighting through the undergrowth we found a pool with a little waterfall that was deep enough to swim in. Had a lovely swim but it definitely wasn't the "Infinity Pool" from the pictures/youtube videos which seems to have a man-made far wall. We slipped and stumbled our way down the stream a bit but soon came to a very high waterfall with no visible way of getting past it - sides totally sheer and overgrown. Nice view from the top of the fall though, down to couple of lower pools and along the valley out to the sea.

My reckoning is that the infinity pool must be on this same stream but much further down and accessible only by coming UP from Tai O. Does anyone know? Claire, which were you referringto when you talked about the "Shui Lo Chu pools"?

We met three or four people on the path who were also searching for the mythical infinity pool!

As far as I know the access is generally from the bottom, although I believe some groups do exit by continuing upwards (which may involve something close to rock climbing).

Thanks. Can you be a bit more specific about "from the bottom"? Do you go right into Tai O to begin with? Where is the path? How long does it take?

Why not ask for precise directions before you go?
    Here is a map showing you the location:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=22...om=17&layers=M

It is very easily accessible from TaiO and moderately difficult accessing it from the top.

I would strongly urge you not to go slipping&stumbling on stream beds, especially on weekends where there are typhoon signals up. Its clear that you dont know what you are doing and this can lead to hospital or the morgue. Better ask someone to show you how to get there or join a hiking group to help you reach there like I pointed out to you a few days before...

Buy a decent map, it is clearly marked on them.

Last edited by emx; 03-07-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Whoa, enough with the patronising Howard. The Meetup group was going on Saturday, we were not free till Sunday.

I have survived 40 years till now in all sorts of outdoor environments and am perfectly capable of judging when a stream bed is dangerous or not. And yes, we were wearing appropriate clothing, before anyone asks. It was approximately 5 minutes along a practically horizontal stream.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaK:
    I have survived 40 years till now in all sorts of outdoor environments
    I hope, for your sake your record remains unblemished.
    am perfectly capable of judging when a stream bed is dangerous or not.
    I have doubts about that. It seems (based on your own words) you carried no maps, you had no idea where you were nor where you were going. There was a storm in the area and weather forecast was iffy.

*shrug* Its your business what you do out there but treat it with some amount of respect please. At the minimum, dont go wondering around hills&streams with no map and having no clue where you are heading.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast