Like Tree44Likes

Swimming - fresh water- tai tam?

Reply
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
  1. #71

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerMan:
    I've got nothing against fresh water swimming, but HK would'nt be my first choice for it.
    Curious - why not? In fact HKG is ideal place for it as the mountains are not that tall, there are no big animals upstream and there is very decent flow.
    What is wrong with swimming in the sea here?
    Nothing particularly wrong with it but swimming in the hills has its own rewards...
    MovingIn07 and jgl like this.

  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Curious - why not? In fact HKG is ideal place for it as the mountains are not that tall, there are no big animals upstream and there is very decent flow. Nothing particularly wrong with it but swimming in the hills has its own rewards...
    I'm just worried about the water quality and getting to such places. And in the summer with all those mosquitos buzzing around, might not be such a healthy thing to do compared with swimming in the sea.

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154

    1) If the water is flowing, there is no issue with water quality as its continually being replaced.
    2) If the water is flowing, there are no mozzies. Mozzies normally only live/breed in stagnant water.

    It sounds like you havent actually been to one and tried one. You should really try it and see instead of being worried about it; Hong Kong is a great place for it.

    jgl and MovingIn07 like this.

  4. #74

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    108

    But for God's sake take a map and check the weather or Howard will NOT be happy.

    Elegiaque, TheBrit and Jimmy wilko like this.

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    an hour is wildly exaggerated.
    I have done infinity pool to TaiO bus stop in 30 minutes.
    So from the place Martha described to the first huts it's around 30 minutes, normal walking speed.

    But what I really hate is the bikers who use the hiking trail along the coast despite the no-bicycle signs. Have you ever encountered and reprimanded them ?
    I mean THAT's dangerous, especially when it's raining.
    Is this the big concrete road that skirts along the coast from Tung Chung to Tai O, and then turns into a narrow dirt path about 300m from Tai O? I have ridden that several times and never noticed any "no cycling" signs. I haven't ridden it in years as it's pretty boring- the only reason to do it is to get to Tai O.

    It's never struck me as particularly dangerous give how wide that road is, though I imagine that it fills up with massive hiking groups on Sundays and a cyclist would have to be a bit masochistic to try riding it then.

    Taking this tangent a little further, the reason that you come across cyclists on hiker-only trails is because there's an almost complete lack of legal cycling routes in Hong Kong (I'm not counting the jokey cycling paths out in Shatin as real routes). At my last count, there are a grand total of ten legal mountain biking trails in all of Hong Kong. Most of those are very difficult to get to (towards Sai Kung), incredibly boring (Tai Lam) or flat out impossible for most people to ride (the staircases of the Dragon's Back make up HK Island's only legal route, which also happens to be a popular hiking trail).
    Last edited by jgl; 16-07-2013 at 09:53 AM.

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,023

    No, it's not that road


  7. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    1) If the water is flowing, there is no issue with water quality as its continually being replaced.
    2) If the water is flowing, there are no mozzies. Mozzies normally only live/breed in stagnant water.

    It sounds like you havent actually been to one and tried one. You should really try it and see instead of being worried about it; Hong Kong is a great place for it.
    But where is that water coming from? If the source itself is polluted, then even if it is flowing, it's not going to be clean.

    And there can be hidden dangers behind a certain fresh water pool, not dangerous animals, but large unseen rocks, currents, etc. I won't venture to one unless I have scouted and survey a prospective sight.

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by MarthaK:
    But for God's sake take a map and check the weather or Howard will NOT be happy.
    My happiness is irrelevant but hiker's safety *is*. Too many unprepared people dying usually causes un-necessary laws&regulations.

    Here are some good hiking tips: http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/cultu...untry/tips.htm
    One should be even more vigilant and cautious when going off piste into unknown territory.

  9. #79

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerMan:
    But where is that water coming from? If the source itself is polluted, then even if it is flowing, it's not going to be clean.
    The source is the top of the mountain. Nice thing about Hong Kong is that you can usually see the source while other locations (eg: USA, Australia) the source may be hundreds of miles away.
    And there can be hidden dangers behind a certain fresh water pool, not dangerous animals, but large unseen rocks, currents, etc. I won't venture to one unless I have scouted and survey a prospective sight.
    Ofcourse - thats very prudent. Alternatively you can go with a group of people that regularly visit such places and know the paths and dangers well.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,114
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerMan:
    I'm just worried about the water quality and getting to such places. And in the summer with all those mosquitos buzzing around, might not be such a healthy thing to do compared with swimming in the sea.
    If you choose the streams carefully (i.e. up in the hills, and not downstream from villages or popular hiking paths) they are likely to be much cleaner than the ocean. At least, you don't get plastic bags, jellyfish and the odd running shoe floating past.

    I wouldn't drink out of the streams (though I see a lot of local people doing that) but then I wouldn't drink out of the ocean either (even if it wasn't salt water).
    Last edited by jgl; 16-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    TankerMan likes this.

Reply
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast