Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Natfixit

Weekend getaway and kayaking

Closed Thread

Weekend getaway and kayaking

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions on the following. I'd like to go somewhere on the weekend where I could both rent a kayak, and stay overnight. Me and my gf would like to kayak during the day, swim and then spend the night, we dont mind sleeping in a hostel or tent. I googled some, it seems like Hoi Ha Wan in Sai Kung rent kayaks, but can you sleep over at Hoi Ha Wan? How about Cheung Sha Beach on Lantau? They seem to have both kayaking and hostels/tent there. Anyone know any other places or familiar with the two mentioned?

Note, we definitely are not interested in kayaking which would be guided or in a enclosed space next to the beach.

Thanks in advance.

Palm Beach does camping, kayaks, canoes, surfboards rental on lower Cheung Sha beach. I don't have the immediate details on me ( they are just down the road from where I live and I swim at the beach often ....very busy this weekend, I noticed which is a good thing. ) you can google them Palm Beach Cheung Sha Beach HK for more details. Buses pass regularly and there is accommodation camping, or further down at Tong Fuk at the Fair View apartments. South Lantau is very easy to access by taxi and bus, easy walking. Plus plenty of options for eating.

And no, forget about enclosed areas for water sports. Theses guys take you on open waters. nearest shark net area is on lower Cheung Sha.

Last edited by Natfixit; 30-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    INXS likes this.

Why don't you just rent a kayak, pack a tent and go island hopping?
    We planned to do the same thing thiis weekend, but the storm intervened.

HK windsurfing centre in Sai Kung rents out kayaks, I inquired and it's possible to rent them for several days.

ZenTex, that sounds like a super idea. We will probably try that. You know any places where I can rent tent? I know you can rent them at ham tin wan, but that might be a bit too far for us to kayak to. Which island would you recommend as destination?

Open Google maps and satellite view and check the Sai Kung Bay area, there are lots of beaches on the islands, just pick one. Civilisation is never far away if you need to stock up on water or food, or you could even paddle to a restaurant. If only that storm didn't intevene I could have posted my experiences here.
    As for renting tens... Do you really need to rent one? A half decent tent won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    We bought a tent at 400 HKD and it suits our needs.