Like Tree8Likes

Wimbelon Mens Final 2013

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Today I'm British. Someone at work went WAY OTT today and is a Scot for the day. Noooooooo !

Is it really so serious being a scot, english, welsh, Irish ...( anyone missing) that you have to distinguish and emphasize it all day long. For me, as an outsider, they all great guys, some bit stingy, some are bit awkward, some having (black) humor I will never ever understand, some start suddenly singing :-( but at the end of the day you guys are all cool and from UK:-)

It's just (really hate to use this awful word) 'banter'. Same as us hating the French....we don't actually hate French people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Is it really so serious being a scot, english, welsh, Irish ...( anyone missing) that you have to distinguish and emphasize it all day long. For me, as an outsider, they all great guys, some bit stingy, some are bit awkward, some having (black) humor I will never ever understand, some start suddenly singing :-( but at the end of the day you guys are all cool and from UK:-)
    For the biggest and most important sports (football, rugby and cricket) we tend to compete individually so it does make a difference.

It's only the Olympics and other random stuff where it becomes "Britain".

All of my best sporting memories (5-1 against Germany, Wilkinson's last minute drop goal, the 2005 Ashes - to name a few) have been English ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    .we don't actually hate French people.
    Speak for yourself!
    arrowsmith and Stoob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith:
    For the biggest and most important sports (football, rugby and cricket) we tend to compete individually so it does make a difference.

All of my best sporting memories (5-1 against Germany, Wilkinson's last minute drop goal, the 2005 Ashes - to name a few) have been English ones.
    Understood!

Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith:

Don't forget 1966!

Yes it does matter. It's partly banter and partly historic. One thing though when it comes to defending our shores the UK unites. That's my biggest worry with Scottish devolution. Some of the fiercest (in both senses of the word) defenders of the realm are from north of Hadrian's Wall. What would happen if Scotland splits is unclear to me. Funnily enough I think the youngest voting generation are seeing through the futility of that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Yes it does matter. It's partly banter and partly historic. One thing though when it comes to defending our shores the UK unites. That's my biggest worry with Scottish devolution. Some of the fiercest (in both senses of the word) defenders of the realm are from north of Hadrian's Wall. What would happen if Scotland splits is unclear to me. Funnily enough I think the youngest voting generation are seeing through the futility of that idea.
    With that comment your username is quite apt!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Your History; how far does history go back for your and the younger generation? Just curious. Pretty ingnorant on this topic but always ready to listen and to learn. Thought it isn't an issue anymore.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast