Like Tree8Likes

Wimbelon Mens Final 2013

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I heard it was a mercy win for Britain. Djokovic was paid alot higher for his loss.

The ITF was considering a proposal to sell Wimbledon to the Chinese for an undisclosed sum last year.

The English in their Austerity measures was considering seriously this proposal as it was quite attractive. I believe if an Englishman didn't win then they would have sold it. They paid off Djokovic to keep it in England.

I believe now the Chinese will make a copy of Wimbledon somewhere outside Shanghai.

Football16 likes this.

To Tom, apols I don't know how to quote ha ha. It's comparatively recent history in British terms and was certainly not always the case. GB was only created in the early 1700s but the legendary battles of Celtic independence live on to this day. Then of course we had the Irish splitting away. It's incredibly complex and arguably the rivalry on the football terraces even in recent years (how i miss home internationals) exists between numbskulls that have no true appreciation of why. The Eire England abandoned game in the mid 90s is a prime example.

Each of the remaining nations of the UK are fiercely proud of their heritage and rightly so but at the same time have no problem coming together for international events such as Olympics and Tennis.

I guess it must look strange from the outside and it is deeply personal. If asked i am English first and British second. Certainly NOT European ha ha. That's another can of worms. And yes we hate the French.

GB would not be the same without its separate Football and Rugby Union teams. Cricket is united under England and Wales but we don't have a national Toss the Caber or gingerest redhead team down south either.

Tom007 likes this.

I will read your post later. Deserves my 100% focus and attention. Appreciated very much 'ByeByeEngland' :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Your History; how far does history go back for your and the younger generation? Just curious. Pretty ingnorant on this topic but always ready to listen and to learn. Thought it isn't an issue anymore.
    Flower of Scotland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vkYiCdn834

For your listening enjoyment. They should have played it last night at Wimbledon...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    For your listening enjoyment. They should have played it last night at Wimbledon...lol
    Andy should have raised his tennis racquet and shouted FREEDOM

Flower of Scotland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vkYiCdn834

Impressive! It really is. Great atmosphere all around, although the 11 guys in the middle are pretty mute. Rugby team would be different choir I guess :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Impressive! It really is. Great atmosphere all around, although the 11 guys in the middle are pretty mute. Rugby team would be different choir I guess :-)
    You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88a2L9hoLIo

Wow Goosebumps. Thanks for posting
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    GB would not be the same without its separate Football and Rugby Union teams. Cricket is united under England, Wales and South Africa but we don't have a national Toss the Caber or gingerest redhead team down south either.
    You do pretty well at prancing about with silly clothes, bells and sticks though!

Ha ha I'm sure there's a meaningful reason for the existenxe of Morris Dancers somewhere. Just seen Murray's last game in full for the first time. Utter quality and the mental strength that separates him from Henman. The gulf is immense.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast