Volleyball World Grand Prix-HK

Volleyball World Grand Prix-HK

I have a friend who is a huge volleyball fan and he is asking me to join him and his buddies to watch the FIVB Volleyball World Prix at the HK Coliseum next month. Now I am somewhat familiar with the Chinese women volleyball team having watched them on TV over the years (and getting schooled on them by my friend, my primary source of volleyball knowledge, he was my coach for my really amateur team back in my high school days, but haven't played volleyball since then). But I have not been to those matches in person. Come to think of it, I haven't attended any events at the HK coliseum despite all these years in HK.

So I said sure, but him being the "pro" in this, I asked him what it is like watching it there. He said "great".

But given the fact that he might be a bit biased, I do wonder if anyone else have attended the FIVB Volleyball Grand Prix in person and what it was like. How was the seating? Do you get a good view of the action? How were the matches? What should I pay attention to? How was the atmosphere like?

Thanks.

Wrong place to ask this question. This forum seems to be populated with alot of Brit, Kiwi or Aussie expats, so I guess they would'nt know or care about any other sports besides soccer (yes I'm calling it "soccer", live with it). rugby and cricket. They certainly would'nt know much about any sport teams locals also follow like the Chinese female volleyball team.

I've watched this event at the coliseum in 2008, so I don't know whether they've changed the match format since then. But as for the view of the action, the key is to sit middle-lower portion of the seats. If you seat too low, it's hard to observe the action. Too high in the "bleachers" and you will need good eyesight to see. It was a packed house when I was there, and the predominantly local audience was really into the action and passionate about it, doing a couple of human waves.

As for this year's action I don't know. Which teams do we have? Argentina, Czech Republic, Turkey and China of course. Argentina and the Czechs are minnows in female volleyball, Turkey on the other hand pose a stronger threat to China, although the top teams like US, Brazil and Russia seems to be missing from the HK round this year.

Basically,

Thanks Tankerman. I'm sitting in the middle-lower section so hopefully that would be the best seat in the house.

Um..about your comment about the Brits and Aussies only caring about certain "British" sports, you better be careful there, I don't think that's entirely true. Some of the posters here can be rather thin-skinned and touchy-feely about any perceived slights, imagined or otherwise, on their nationalities.