Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bibbju
  • 1 Post By Tom007
  • 1 Post By jgl

Tour de France 2013

Closed Thread

Tour de France 2013

Sky ProCycling (GB ) will claim the second Tour win in a row. After Bradley Wiggins 2012 victory, it's Britain's Chris Froome, who will take the world most prestigious pro cycling title, the Tour, with an overwhelming and commanding lead of 4:20min. Respect and congrats. It's an amazing cycling spectacle. Truly hope everything was fair and square and looking forward to 2014. Cheers and bottoms up Chris Froome. Staggering lead and well deserved win. Enjoy :-)

Last edited by Tom007; 22-07-2013 at 03:43 AM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Shame Cav didn't manage the win on the Champs-Elysees. He's not having the same success without Renshaw as his lead out man. Well done to Froome but let's hope Brad comes back next year and they go head to head!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Tom007 likes this.

I'm not sure how anyone can take this sport seriously with the amount of doping involved....it's more like a chemistry/lab experiment than it is a sport

If you just assume that everyone is doping and treat it as light entertainment, it's still fairly interesting to watch.

Given the UCI's repeated recalcitrance at even cursory attempts to address doping, it's pretty much impossible for me to take the event any more seriously than light entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I'm not sure how anyone can take this sport seriously with the amount of doping involved....it's more like a chemistry/lab experiment than it is a sport
    Pro cycling events and 'the tour'' in particular, are being tainted by doping, no doubt about it. Let's hope this fantastic sport will come clean one day. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but still believing in it, although doubts remaining all the way.

Given it seems everyone assumes doping, perhaps they should just do away with the attempts to remove it and just let the best doper win? It's still a sport at the end of the day - if it was a level playing field (albeit one affected by drugs) would it really matter?

Nah, openly permitting doping at pro levels, where it could arguably be adopted in a monitored and relatively safe manner, would likely encourage it at amateur levels.

Admittedly, it already exists at these levels to some extent, but at these levels amateurs would not have access to medical resources that'd mitigate the risks of doping.

I'd draw an analogy with, say, NFL. If a side effect of the allure of making it into the big league is that high school footballers risk their long term health through drug use, then being openly (versus passively) permissive of doping is going to have an impact on a much larger group that can't afford a big medical team to back them up.

Edit: A good article on the idea of the 'level playing field' as it pertains to cycling: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-field-fallacy

Last edited by jgl; 22-07-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.