Like Tree7Likes

Cycling in Hong Kong

Reply
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,103

    Okay, that makes four of us interested. I'll put up a new post about this soon.

    Are you guys good for this Sunday morning? For people on HK side, we can meet at the Mui Wo ferry pier in Central. I'd suggest the 10:30 ferry.

    JT- the CMW route starts at Mui Wo which means that you either need to ride over from Tung Chung, or arrange a van/taxi if you are not feeling all that energetic

    I've checked and it sounds like the trail is in ridable condition. The new extension at the end needs a bit of repair work, so I'll bring a couple of folding saws in case we make it that far.


  2. #52

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pokfulam
    Posts
    204

    paved trail

    A friend and I are looking on taking our bikes out this weekend when the sun finally returns. One of the bikes is a road bike so we need a paved trail. Other than the one from Shatin to Taipo (and beyond), are there other paved bike trails? I once saw a guy taking a road bike on the Airport Express and someone once told me about a trail out near the airport. Where else can we go?

    Thanks!


  3. #53

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,103

    There is a paved trail from Tung Chung that runs along the coast towards Disney. Go via the Airport Express, but getting over to Tung Chung involves some random route finding.

    If you are reasonably fit, riding from Mui Wo to the Buddha is a bit more interesting. Very little traffic. Lots of big hills to climb though.


  4. #54

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pokfulam
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    There is a paved trail from Tung Chung that runs along the coast towards Disney. Go via the Airport Express, but getting over to Tung Chung involves some random route finding.

    If you are reasonably fit, riding from Mui Wo to the Buddha is a bit more interesting. Very little traffic. Lots of big hills to climb though.
    Is there a website where I can get more information on these two trails? I'm very interested in the Mui Wo to the Buddha one. I think I'm reasonably fit as I probably do 5 spin classes a week but haven't ridden on the road in a while.

    Thanks!

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,103
    Quote Originally Posted by applefan:
    Is there a website where I can get more information on these two trails? I'm very interested in the Mui Wo to the Buddha one. I think I'm reasonably fit as I probably do 5 spin classes a week but haven't ridden on the road in a while.

    Thanks!
    Mui Wo to the Buddha is on the *road*. Just use Google Maps.

    There is almost no useable biking info for HK on the net- you just have to ask around. Let me know how well spin classes translate into real riding

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    DB
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Mui Wo to the Buddha is on the *road*. Just use Google Maps.

    There is almost no useable biking info for HK on the net- you just have to ask around. Let me know how well spin classes translate into real riding
    Beg to differ - try this: HKMBA - Riding�in�HK Trail Location Map

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13

    Hi there,

    I've just moved from Central to Tung Chung and bought myself an old, second-hand bike for a few hundred bucks. I need to get it serviced and don't have the tools or expertise to do it myself.

    I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place to get it serviced (brake pads need replacing, etc).

    If you could let me know where to take it and how much it's likely to cost. I know there used to be a bike shop in Fu Tung but that's closed during renovations, I think. I saw that there are two shops in Yat Tung, but I'm wary of the bigger one, because I bought a bike lock from there and it broke immediately and they didn't give me a refund or replace it.

    Anyway, any info greatly appreciated.

    Nick


  8. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,103

    Was the bigger shop in the ground floor of a big building estate?

    Try Sunny's shop, in the old village of Yat Tung. He's a good guy.


  9. #59

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    119

    Weekend Ride

    Anyone up for a weekend ride?

    Maybe something a bit easier than Mui Wo - Pui O?


  10. #60

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    119

    Weekend Ride

    I'm looking for people to MTB with this weekend.

    Drop me a line if keen.

    Cookie666 - in
    GunsandRoses - in


Reply
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast